Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TSB 07-18-2 Front End Chuckle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Default TSB 07-18-2 Front End Chuckle

I have an 06 GT manual that I just purchased. It has a noisy right front in the strut area, it almost sounds like a bad strut or an out of round tire. I have had it on the lift and checked all bushings, mounts etc. and can find nothing. The tires are new gforce T/A's and balanced well. It is most noticeable when on rough roads but is noticable driving down a smooth highway. I decided to check TSB's and found TSB 07-18-2 that sounds exactly what I am experiencing(chuckleing in the front end). Since the car is out of warranty (60,000 miles) they want $450.00 to perform the TSB. Before I let them do it or buy the parts ($200.00) and do it myself, I was wanting to know if anyone here had this done and did it help?
Thanks and God Bless!
Jim
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

is the car lowered ? its most likely the strut ounts the gt strut mounts are a piece of crap you can replace them yourself with basic hand tools and a spring compressor
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Thanks bullitt2086, it is not lowered and I found the right search term to get lots of info from many other owners with the same problem. Steeda offers a quality upper mount, I may go that route.
Jim
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bullitt2086
is the car lowered ? its most likely the strut ounts the gt strut mounts are a piece of crap you can replace them yourself with basic hand tools and a spring compressor
+1

The clunking sound is coming from the upper strut mounts. Piece of crap.

When you get the old ones off you will see how sploppy they are.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

It might not be the strut mounts. The sway bar end links will make that noise as well if they come loose. I've had to re-tighten my endlinks 3 times now. Before you go and waste money on parts, I would put your front up on jack stands and take your front wheels off. Try to torque both the upper and lower bolts on your sway bar end link to 85 ftlbs. This may fix your problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Smile

If I read this right you have 60,000 miles on the stock struts,if so then man they need to be replaced. I had a stock rear shock blow out @ 20,000 miles. I just replaced the rears and struts with the Koni SRT_T shock/strut combo. Also instead of spending $200 bucks on the Steeda strut mounts get the GT500 heavy duty mounts from Ford or another vender I got mine from CJ Poney parts for around $60.00 bucks.
Do some checking on this forum lots of good posts on the Koni SRT_T combo. My 05 ride has improved greatly with this combo. No *** end jitters when going over bumps and the ride is much smoother not choppy as before with stock OEM parts. Only other things I've changed was to go to Roush lower rear springs and replaced the LCA's with CHE and a CHE adj panhard bar.

The only recall I had on my 05 was for the clunking struts and had them replaced @ 5,000 miles by the dealer.Only time the car has seen the dealer for any kid of service.

Some good deals out there on Koni's Check them out.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

i have the gt500 strut mounts and can honestly tell you that they are a waist of 50.00 dollars i would save the money and get some good aftermarket ones...Oh and the reason i say they are not worth it is b/c mine still failed on me and clunck Just my opinion
Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I have the Ford "HD Black Stud" upper strut mounts coming and from all the hundreds of posts I have found, did the trick. I also have on the shelf a set of Vogtland sport springs and aluminum adjustable panhard bar from when I had the V6 Pont car that I am going to install with new Koni shocks as soon as I can get a set. Hopefully this will solve my thunking and give me a better ride to boot. I installed my CAI and Brenspeed tunes yesterday and took it out for a test spin, ran it up to 120 mph and then when I hit the brakes to shut it down before the locals got me, the right front end went to jumping up and down violantly, so there is no question from where my thunking is coming from.
Jim
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
gt ron

Default strut noise

It sounds to me like your stock bearing plate is worn out. I just installed the Steeda HD bearing plates to get rid of a groan in both shocks. Easy job. My car was lowered when I bought it but the guy didn't upgrade the bearing plates or the shocks.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 PM
rsjb22

Did you find the problem yet? If not I have one more thing to check. I had the same noise driving me nuts. Even after I lowered my car I still had it. And when I did it I replaced the struts, springs, swaybar endlinks, ball joints, tie rod ends, strut mounts and a few other things I can't remember. I also had 3 different shops try to find it, no luck. I did finally find the problem. I was the inner wheel well.

Quick Reply: TSB 07-18-2 Front End Chuckle