Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech V3 Install!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Vortech V3 Install!!!

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some information on the Vortech V3 supercharger system Non- Intercooled, I was wondering if I would have any problems with Heat in the summer with A/C running? This is my daily driver, would this kill my gas mileage on a hot summer day? What about stop and start traffic? And I plan on intercooling it just dont have the money for the whole thing just yet, I have enough to get just the supercharger kit! Any info or guidance would be great guys, And in the summer would the heat soak at night around 75 degrees take the power down on a centrifugal supercharger? I was thinking of the Edelbrock E force tuner kit since it has an intercooler built in but and am being pulled between differences and which one would give me most safe power and the summer heat! Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've got a few threads that I'm pretty sure are the largest on this particular kit. In this thread expect to be told repeatedly that the non-IC kit is unsafe, or not good enough, etc etc, lol. Been there, done that, none of it is true frankly. It is all about expectations.

I would not personally buy this kit if I knew I was going to upgrade it later "for sure". That is just throwing away money.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. I'm feeling a bit "spent" on talking about this kit by now, lol. If I had to do it over again, I'd have never put a blower on this car at all. Its not about the kit, its about the intense waste of money. For the amount of time I'll own the car (say 3-4 years) it honestly would have been the same/cheaper to just buy a GT500 and pay the difference in payments each month as opposed to the several grand I shat out in a 2 month period... but, that is an entirely different discussion.

Here are some links to some big threads:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ch-v3-kit.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...nd-videos.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...pressions.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...not-to-ho.html
Old 03-17-2010, 02:47 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Here is an option for an air to air intercooler. They are from Turbohorsepower.com, and they run them on their standard single turbo kit. From the information I gathered, the intercooler should bolt right up and the pipings/connectors all come with it.. even a blow off valve plate. All for about $750.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Hey guys, thanks for the great info That kit has really got me thinking now Stealth GT and mudflap have you had any overheating issues down there in that Texas heat? Im thinking of going with the edelbrock E force Tuner kit, but still thinking about this V3, Cannot seem to find out which will be the safest for a daily driver! ARGHH
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Either kit tuned properly will be safe. The Brenspeed kit/tune was designed to run without an intercooler, they didn't just leave it off to save money at the end. I'm not a fan of the Edelbrock and wouldn't buy one personally, but many people are happy with theirs. I've had no issues with the Vortech at all. It sort of goes without saying when its 100 degrees outside, it doesn't matter what is bolted to the car, you shouldn't be ragging on it in the first place. These cars run hot in general, so adding any blower will just increase that. If the intake temps get too hot, sure the car will pull timing and you'll lose some power. The intercooler will help to mitigate some of that, but it won't completely correct the situation, just be aware of that.

The main reason I bought this kit at the time was the power level. I wanted something around 400rwhp. I am not comfortable running more power than that on the stock block. Many guys here do it successfully, and thats cool. They are all on borrowed time and they know it. I didn't want to be in that boat. The one kit that I was not really aware of at the time that I would have seriously considered is the Magnacharger. I believe that is a roots style blower with an intercooler and a great sound for right around $4k.

I'd spend at least a few weeks doing research on what it is you want, and what your expectations are. I'm completely regretting modding this car at all. I'd like to get rid of it frankly, and I've made it difficult to do so for myself with all the modifications. I'll end up selling it eventually for blue book and taking a total loss on the parts I'm sure. If I had just bought the GT500, I could easily unload that thing...

Last edited by Mudflap; 03-17-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I don't have one yet but have done many hours of research and been on other sites as well looking up info both on intercooling and superchargers in general. I also considered the Magnacharger seriously, but in the end- I really didn't like the external front side and rear drive shafts that drove the roots blowers, too many exposed belts and such. It looks like a rudementary design that they only use as a standard model, but not the ones they use on the ZR1s or Z06 vettes, though they do have them for the new SSs. Their research and background are top notch and convincing though, especially their "testing" of their superchargers. I just didn't like the design for the Mustangs, though they make great power, though the ceiling for gains was topped at about 500whp. I also don't like blowers bolted right on the manifold anymore, especially with the intercooler intergrated right into the supercharger "all in one kit". Mostly because of heat issues, though the compactness of the kit is a plus. I decided that I will ultimately get the Vortech V3 and then fabricate my own intercooler. Remote cooling and supercharger units are the way to go IMO.Though, I'd take a Kenne Bell or Whipple H.O. anyday lol. I also like the construction of the procharger but the backwards intake and the bad reviews I heard about their customer service kinda backed me off.

If it's 75 outside during the night, wow.. thats all I have to say lol. It reaches those temps maybe a handfull of times during the summer up here lol. I'd definetly get an intercooler if it's that hot down there...

EDIT: on a side note, twinscrews/roots offer great power off idle, regardless of the brand but at this level of value, they are hard to come by. Unless its one of the "tuner kits" which is basically just the head unit and some spark plugs lol, you'll eventually have to peice together anyways, so unless you just really want the head unit "now"- its better to save up. The V3 is great because it comes with everything you need to make great power, plus unless you're going WOT all the time, it's heats shouldn't be too bad at the lower boost levels (so I have read anyways). The Magnas have the greatest whine I've heard other than built Kenne bells, and also make great power/intercooled right out the box. So far, the driveshafts really aren't an issue, like belt slippage from higher output but even thats been resolved (stronger belt tensioners, modding pulley bolt) etc.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 03-17-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah If you know you want the intercooler already, I'd just save up the extra $1200~ and do it all at once. Otherwise you have to tear into the car twice and it costs more in parts (and labor if you don't do it yourself). I don't think I'll be living in Texas for more than another 3-4 months, so heat will become less of an issue for me. We're probably going to wind up in Denver.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Make sure your pipes have flared ends, and use t-clamps instead of the crappy worm clamps that come with most kits. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the side of the road reconnecting blown off pipes.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
Make sure your pipes have flared ends, and use t-clamps instead of the crappy worm clamps that come with most kits. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the side of the road reconnecting blown off pipes.
How does the intercooler (pic I posted )compare to the paxton air to air kit??
Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Hey guys, thanks a ton for all this info Im glad I got to ask you guys some of these questions before I go with my choice, Like you guys said imma wait a few weeks and read around to see, and I'll let you guys know what my choice is! If anyone wants to still chime in feel free!! Thanks Again guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech V3 Install!!!