Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

dyno'd the mustang today

Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
that's alot of power candyman, be careful
out there.
lol, you're kidding right? now when the Kenne Bell gets here it'll start to be a lot of power

Originally Posted by highline
those seem like amazing numbers with axlebacks and waterpump...I was expecting 270ish...nice
Kenne Bell's baseline GT dyno with the same mods was 279whp, I'm just happy to be around their numbers

Originally Posted by Nuke
288 RWHP is excellent for just the electric water pump. Kudos!
it's nice when a product performs like they say it will I did the exhaust too so that dyno is the result of two mods. I can't honestly say I noticed a difference with the exhaust but the water pump definitely made a noticeable difference up top.

Originally Posted by baddog671
stock is roughly 265-270, correct? How'd you squeeze 18-23hp out of a pump?
I figure 5hp or so from the exhaust and the rest from the pump. Kenne Bell says the pump is 20whp, Brenspeed says 11-14whp. I didn't dyno the car bone stock or after each mod so who knows. if I owned a shop I would have dyno'd between each step

Originally Posted by onederful100
great numbers
it's not the pump, it's the boomtubes!
ha ha, the boom tubes sound great but like I mentioned earlier I actually noticed power from the pump, I didn't really notice anything on the *** dyno from the exhaust.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

I think you just sold me on a new water pump . Does that kit from Brenspeed (with the harness) also come with any sort of warning if your electric pump fails? thats the only reason I don't have one yet.

Great numbers BTW
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dang I need to call brenspeed and get me one of those water pumps!!!!

Good job dude!

patrick
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fresh_GT
I think you just sold me on a new water pump . Does that kit from Brenspeed (with the harness) also come with any sort of warning if your electric pump fails? thats the only reason I don't have one yet.

Great numbers BTW
that's the one catch, and the only reason I'm keeping the stock pump as a backup they Meziere has a two year unlimited mileage warranty, that's pretty good, no other aftermarket part does that, not that I know of.

really if it fails you're warning will be that your car will start to overheat, you'll see the gauge climb, and you'll have to pull over. yes that would suck, but it's not instant catastrophic failure like a valve spring or connecting rod failing would be. unless you just kept driving you wouldn't hurt anything.

when my Aeroforce gauges get here I'm going to set up one of the warnings so if it starts to run too hot they'll flash and freak out. that way if I'm not paying attention to the dash I won't run too hot.

Meziere gives the pump a 3000+ hour life expectancy. if you drive 2 hours a day, everyday, then that's 1,500 days or 4.1 years, a stock pump probably doesn't last that long if I still have the car in 4 years and have to replace the pump that's kinda normal work to do to a 5 year old car anyway so no big deal.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Dang I need to call brenspeed and get me one of those water pumps!!!!

Good job dude!

patrick
yeah man! to me doing this mod should be step one for anyone, you're just freeing up power that the motor is already making plus the power gain for the cost is pretty good. it's about $360 for the pump with the relay, plus shipping probably $380.

little update, the pump is quieter after a couple days of driving. I'm guessing it's either breaking in a little or the last of the air bubbles are out of the cooling system, maybe a little of both. you really gotta put your ear up to it to hear it now which is cool. I don't want my car sounding all crazy with a bunch of pumps.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

It's hard to say what any of these mods did power-wise as there was no before dyno. As each dyno is different, it's unwise to make gain assumptions as we really don't know what the power levels of the car were before. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but thought that was worth a mention.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
It's hard to say what any of these mods did power-wise as there was no before dyno. As each dyno is different, it's unwise to make gain assumptions as we really don't know what the power levels of the car were before. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but thought that was worth a mention.
you're right, that's the only real way to see the gains and it eliminates the variable of different dynos reading differently. at the same I haven't seen a stock GT dyno that much on a Dynojet so it had to gain something from the mods over stock.

in hindsight it might have been worth another $50 to get it dyno'd bone stock then go back with the mods. it would have been cool to overlay everything, but I've spent a lot of money in the last two weeks, A LOT I just didn't want to spend another $50 plus the time to go there. trying to save some extra cash for wheels and tires to actually get this power to the ground
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
I don't have SAE but STD was 287whp and 303trq.
SAE corrected would be 277whp and 292tq.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

got the files from the shop, SAE was 279whp and 295trq. SAE is the most conservative out of all the corrections.

looking at it again I think their RPM pickup wasn't set perfect. I know I didn't rev out past 6,000rpm on the dash but the dyno shows higher, that's why the torque is down a little.