Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto trans. flush.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default Auto trans. flush.

Has anyone had their's flushed by a machine and a hanheld that goes with it.
I did with my 04 explorer and it worked well?
Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Nobody? Is there a better way or don't you worry about it.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I have heard from many people saying not to do that. Flushing can move a lot of junk around that you would prefer not to disturb. The best way is to drop the pan, change filter, refill with new fluid and leave it alone. The new fluid and filter will catch the sediments and junk in time.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've also heard bad things about flushing. I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Not really sure how flushing could possibly hurt anything. It's basically a transfusion.
All the work is done by the cars pump, not the machine. Line in takes the old, line out puts in the new. There is no damage that could possibly happen, sorry guys.

And the trans filter is basically a metal mesh screen. Nothing like an oil filter.
You would get more debris out by dropping the pan, and cleaning the magnet if there is one in these trans pans.

Personally, the best way is to drop the pan, change filter, clean magnet, drain the converter.
Flush machines are far from 100% fluid exchange, but they do not do damage.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Not really sure how flushing could possibly hurt anything. It's basically a transfusion.
All the work is done by the cars pump, not the machine. Line in takes the old, line out puts in the new. There is no damage that could possibly happen, sorry guys.

And the trans filter is basically a metal mesh screen. Nothing like an oil filter.
You would get more debris out by dropping the pan, and cleaning the magnet if there is one in these trans pans.

Personally, the best way is to drop the pan, change filter, clean magnet, drain the converter.
Could not have said it better my self!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr

I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. First the tranny filter is not a wire mesh, at least not on any tranny I have serviced. If it is on this one, then that would be news to me since I havent opnened these up yet. On all the other trannys I serviced it was a paper filter just like an oil filter, and it gets really filthy over time. Secondly the advice of not to do a flush did not come from me, it actually has come from tranny rebuilders on other forums. On a Dodge forum that I visit there is a guy that has a tranny shop and he has said that if your tranny is working fine, DON"T do a flush. The flush can move around sediments that you would prefer to leave alone. If you do a flush with a machine, the car's pump is not the one doing the work, it's the machine. In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe the machines do a backwards flush instead of following the normal flow of the fluids. That guy has stated that he has to remove a check ball that is in our trucks to be able to do a back flush. It is also pressurized at a higher rate than the tranny normally is. Now if you want to simply undo the tranny lines, run the motor and manually feed fluid in one side, and allow the old fluid to drain out the other line, that should be harmless. In that case the fluid is following a normal course and will not do any harm.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Well, you got some wrong information on the fluid exchange process. Or a machine type that I have never heard of, nor can find on the internet. Some mention "pressurized" and that is still all from the converters power, not the machine. The old stuff is pumped into the machines cylinder, pressurizing that end of the cylinder and forcing the new stuff out into the car. The only pump in the machines is to fill it with new fluid and dispense of old fluid.
The filter, that is totally possible, I personally haven't seen any trans filters myself in a long while, but am very familiar with most common transmission "flush" machines, which should and most of the time are called, fluid exchange machines, not to confuse anyone with an actual flushing of the system.

T-Tech process is powered by the vehicles own pump, eliminating the dangers of over- or under-pressuring the system
Auto-alignment feature means there is no need to verify fluid flow prior to starting and no possibility of a reverse connection.