Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My Comp stage 2 SPR blower grind cams install with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Talking VIDEO!!!!

well, the wait is over!

After a very long and unexpected fight with my motor, the cams are in, the tool is extraced, some extras put on, and car fired right up! When it got cold last night I had some issues at idle, only after the motor had been reved, so i need to play with that some. i think at this point also though, I really need a dyno tune.... I mean brenspeed is great and all for emailed, but I really feel once you reach a certain level of mods, it has to go on a dyno, I think i found the limit.... lol. Anyway, not all bad.

Here were the stuck tools:

Heres how it should look, obviously you normaly would not see this due to no need to remove cover.

Here were the added goodies while I was in there:
Oversized water pump pulley:

and the steeda tensioner:

So I think all this was worth it, and once I get my tune straight should be 130% better! Tell me what you think, sorry its so dark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dQKoY5wWA
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Sounds wicked. I'd really like to see the dyno sheet when you get it.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Damn, I've been slacking missing all these threads. Can't see pics at work so I will comment when I get home... subscribed for now.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:32 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

way to go JD, glad it all ended on a happy
note. looking forward to more updates and
vids.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

That sounds awesome. Just like Hot Rods or Thumprs but will instead make some serious power with that saleen.

I wanted the SPR 2 N/A grind but doing those springs is something I did not want to do.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I wanted the SPR 2 N/A grind but doing those springs is something I did not want to do.
With just cause man...... adding a spring job to the cams is a whole other level. Would I do it again.... yeah I suppose. Knowing what I know now about how to do it, I dont think it would be nearly as bad. Would I WANT to do it again.... not a spring job man... lol. Now I just need to get this thing figured out, like I was saying before, I think its time for the dyno tune.... I get a rebound effect on idle if I am comming to a stop from moving, will drop to like 300 rpm, go up to 1500 then come back to idle. However sometimes it stalls.... not to happy with that, upped the idle to 900 helps a little bit, but still stalls from time to time. That and the middle of the RPM feels like I got a drag on it. Its loud as hell, but feels like considerably less power then I had before. Top end it still screams, about as good as it did before though... Definatly at this point, do not feel like I gained 70 HP anywhere. i was warned that these cams can be touchy with plugs, so maybe with these new cams, I had plugs that were already iffy, and now need to be replaced? I dunno, gonna get some plugs and hold off on installing them till I am heading to a dyno. Need to see what the combination does for me. I guess I should snag a A/F kit as well for my gauges.

On a side note, when do you change your plug ranges? I have the HT0s now, that came with the saleen kit (actualy on my second set of plugs now,) but when do you switch to like a two step colder range?

Just trying to work the bugs out, I know these cams have a ton of potential and sound great.

I do shake my car at idle now, its sick

Idling in 1st gear is a interesting experience now... jump jump roll roll roll jump roll.... repeat
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

JD, the idle bouncing around like you describe is also inherent with the Hot Rod Cams. I am beginning to think that is just part of it. Mine does not stall, (well maybe twice in over a year). I have been trying to decide on whether to change out my hot rod cams for the thumpers or the comp cams to go with a blower cam but did not want to give up that mean lope I have. I will be interested to see if you get that idle issue worked out. If so, I may be there with you!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Sweet..nice job..
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

ty all,

The idle, from the sound of it, brenspeed thinks will be easy to fix. They said they just need to give it mor idle air. He said the downside is it will take a little longer to idle down, but i really dont care, so long as it does stall, and does idle down, I'm happy. Right now it does come down rather fast, so I dont think I will have any issues.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

cool, i'm sure brenspeed will take good
care of you.

Last edited by hammeron; 04-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: My Comp stage 2 SPR blower grind cams install with pictures