Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My Comp stage 2 SPR blower grind cams install with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Default My Comp stage 2 SPR blower grind cams install with pictures

EDIT: Added video to page one, because lets be honest, thats why 90% of people will open this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dQKoY5wWA

Well, so far I am doing all right. The biggest headache is 1 missing retainer key, not sure where it went.... As for the rest, going slow and steady.

My setup, you want manuals near by!

In this project I am installing the cams along with Beehive springs, and steel retainers. For anyway who has not looked much into this, the springs can be a PAIN! and they add a considerable amount of time. However I figured something out that I think can help alto of people. When your using the ford spring tool, it works GREAT on the stock springs. However when you need to compress the beehives, there is a problem:

As you can see, the added height and spring strength, creates a standoff that you need to close to get the tool to turn and function the way it should. To put this in perspective, I'm pretty strong and weigh about 250. I had to press as hard as i could and fight with it for an over an hour to get one spring on. The pain my hand was in after trying to press it in while at the same time I twisted it.... lets just say not fun.

Do not fear, there is a better way!

so.... instead of killing your hand, and fighting to get a thread to catch, this is my $3 solution that makes it much easier and require 0 physical effort. Just use a ratchet and call it a day!
All you need is a coupler you would use to join two threaded rods together. Its about 2 1/2 inchs long. Then I snagged a bolt that was long enough to thread down and fully press on the arm of the spring compressor and that was it! $2 for the coupler, and 87 cents for the bolt.
So sorry that this first post is a little short and jumpy, but its late here and I'm tired, gonna try to wrap it up before next weekend, gonna be warm and sunny, don't want to miss it!

I'll do my best to keep you all updated. Hope this helps someone, and big thanks to hameron! He might not have done his springs, but hes a great guy and I think we got a lot figured out thats not in the manuals, just by bouncing ideas off eachother. Thanks again man!

Last edited by JDWalton; 04-10-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

looking good JD!

the tool modification was a stroke
of genius on your part, nicely done.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

ty. Genius is what I shoot for though I fall short most of the time ;-)

Well about to start pretty soon, just got to put the followers on this side and I will be done with this side. Well all but the one. I was going to lay them all in and use the caps to lower them, but some of the lobes were in a position where the cam was well off its holder and i didn't feel comfortable forcing it down just to get the cap to start threading.

also, if you think that tool is genius, after I lost the one key, I had to come up with something to keep the valve from dropping when I let the pressure out of the cylinder. Take a look at the first picture of the adapted tool. you can see the wooden dowel I made sticking out of the retainer that is on the right side of the main wiring harness where it bends down to head to the computer.

Last edited by JDWalton; 03-28-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton

you can see the wooden dowel I made sticking out of the retainer

i didn't notice it the first time through, but now that you pointed
it out, i see it. another great improvisation!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:13 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Well one side done (minus 1 key), all the folowers off the drivers side now, and 2 cylinders of spring swap complete. Going a lot faster now that I know what I'm doing and have the proper tool.

Speaking of tools........ So the comp spring compressor tool for the phaser was malformed. Looks like the stamp mushed it a bit in one tiny spot. My luck the tiny spot is where it grabs the phaser spring and it wouldnt hold it. So last night I was there for over an hour with my jewlers file set giving it a new beefy edge that can grab the spring no problem. Mission accomplished but man.... I just hope no more issues as I wrap this up. It would be nice to get out of work tuesday, grab the key, and finish this.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Well one side done (minus 1 key), all the folowers off the drivers side now, and 2 cylinders of spring swap complete. Going a lot faster now that I know what I'm doing and have the proper tool.

Speaking of tools........ So the comp spring compressor tool for the phaser was malformed. Looks like the stamp mushed it a bit in one tiny spot. My luck the tiny spot is where it grabs the phaser spring and it wouldnt hold it. So last night I was there for over an hour with my jewlers file set giving it a new beefy edge that can grab the spring no problem. Mission accomplished but man.... I just hope no more issues as I wrap this up. It would be nice to get out of work tuesday, grab the key, and finish this.
Do you have any pics of the phaser limiter and how all that is done? Once I finally pick the right Mustang GT I want to drop in a Comp Cam XFI Stage 2 SPR. I'm pretty sure I can get the cams done, maybe the springs but I haven't a clue about the phaser stuff.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Jer5757
1st Gear Member

Good job JD and as far as the genius part goes I would say your pretty damn close to one. That was a pretty good idea. I would of never thought of that. Good luck on the rest of the install. Keep us updated if you got the time and dont mind. Vids of how it sounds when your done would be nice
Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

@ speedy
I'll try to get some pics when I'm doing the second phaser, though the comp instructions are pretty good. Also I think the cams you want are the ones I'm doing. Comp changes there names a lot but the part number is 127550. If you can do the springs, you can pretty much do anything on the valve train.

@jer5757
Don't usually try to brag about it, but I guess technically I am. IQ wise anyway... I do pretty well, if only I had the ambition I have now while i was in school. Maybe my basic English wouldn't suck so bad. But math and Physics, I got it. Understanding the movements of the motor and spacial relations makes this job so much easier. Thanks for the props though. I will defiantly keep all updated. I got a before video so when I'm done I'll do the after as well and hopefully edit them together.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

@ speedy
I'll try to get some pics when I'm doing the second phaser, though the comp instructions are pretty good. Also I think the cams you want are the ones I'm doing. Comp changes there names a lot but the part number is 127550. If you can do the springs, you can pretty much do anything on the valve train.
Thanks. I was considering 127500's because I doubt I'll be able to go with a ported heads or a blower anytime soon. I'm going to pick up the cams and some other mods first because once I get the GT money is going to be tight (recently married and just had a kid). Saving for a blower will take forever. Maybe once I'm finished with my Cisco certs, but, it is going to be a while before I get any income from that.

Hopefully 127500's are the right decision.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: My Comp stage 2 SPR blower grind cams install with pictures