Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Look: Whipple 2.3L W140ax for the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Well worth the wait for the 11's I must say
Old 04-02-2010, 01:48 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i thought twin screws don't work well on engines with high comp?

i call bs, bad april fools day joke!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM
joekr
1st Gear Member

That's an absurd amount of power. I bet the tranny would be dead in a year...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Thats the setup I told you was making 550 rwhp on Whipples Dyno on a stock bottom end. The 5.0 rods are a touch better than the 4.6 rods and cylinder pressure will be about the same for 600 bhp 5.0 as a 550 bhp 4.6L. I also guessed it would only take 6.5-8.0 psi to get their with the flow and compression of the base motor.

Last edited by Gene K; 04-02-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
until the tranny blows.
Ford already has thousands of hours of testing with the Whipple on the new 5.0L mustang. Everyone said the same thing you just did about the 550hp kits for the 05-10 3V. "The bottom end can't handle it" or " the trans is toast at that hp level". But how many failures of the tranny or motor do you hear about with that system? Slim to none is the answer as Ford did the same durability testing with that system as they are doing with this one. If it didn't pass the test then Ford nor Whipple would offer it. That's the last thing that both of those companies wants to deal with so if it's being offered it's because they are comfortable with the results they've seen.

Jared

Originally Posted by huskerfan
oh my, very nice! Will the 5.0 be able to handle that much boost without replacing internals?
The 5.0L with a good calibration will be able to safely handle 5-7psi without any additional mods to the internals of the engine.

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Boostad tell me. Do u have any info on the tranny. I've been told by a large roush dealer that roush is having trouble with the trans breaking at low boost levels. Any idea if whipple is seeing this issue?
I guess anything is possible. However any of the testing I've actually heard about so far no transmissions have failed.

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
There is no way this will simply bolt onto the stock motor. You will either blow the transmission or the rods.

Lethal Performance and Whipple are under absolutely NO OBLIGATION to ensure that this will not break a stock motor. That having been said, I have no doubt Lethal will figure out what exactly needs to be done in order to ensure a motor's (and transmission's) longevity with this bolted on, and will be happy to sell you the parts necessary to make that happen. :P

Looks bad-***!
This system will bolt right up and safely make the advertised gains that have been mentioned on a completely stock motor and trans. As mentioned above all of the companies involved won't put a system out if it hadn't passed extensive durability testing. Everyone says the same thing when a new designed model comes out. Keep in mind though that there's a lot more of it that the consumers haven't heard about. No one talks about the thousands of hours that the calibration experts put into this or the testing that's been done on the street or the dyno but that stuff has already been done.

Look at the Shelby 350. It's most likely coming standard with a Whipple twin screw supercharger. Ford/Shelby/Roush/Whipple... All of these guys have a part in making sure they offer a product to the customer that's safe and that won't cause failure. None of them nor the resellers of these products wants to sell a kit that knowingly will cause an engine or trans to fail. So hopefully you can see now it's more about just advertising a product. It's testing it and making sure it's suitable for all before anything else.

Jared

Originally Posted by sponkey21
April Fools?

I am not sure. I know that this motor breathes so well that low boost could easily result in a LOT of power but the timing has me saying "wait a minute..."
No April fools. It's all reality. Stay tuned for more.

Originally Posted by Lax07
yeah I would love to know how much this kit will actually cost? The current Whipple HO is between 6-7k all ready. And our motors can take that extra 150hp. From what has been said the rods and transmission are weak links. If the can take this kit then this motor is GT500 is strong
Still no idea on cost. The 5.0L motor and trans will be safe to run this kit at the boost levels it will come set up to run.

Jared
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sdsguy
i thought twin screws don't work well on engines with high comp?

i call bs, bad april fools day joke!
No BS and it's not an April fool joke. This has been in the works for a long time. Hell I've known about this for 2 years already but was asked not to speak about it as it was pretty much confidential information up until recent.

Originally Posted by joekr
That's an absurd amount of power. I bet the tranny would be dead in a year...
You willing to bet against the big dogs which have done thousands of hours of durability testing already? ;-)

Originally Posted by Gene K
Thats the setup I told you was making 550 rwhp on Whipples Dyno on a stock bottom end. The 5.0 rods are a touch better than the 4.6 rods and cylinder pressure will be about the same for 600 bhp 5.0 as a 550 bhp 4.6L. I also guessed it would only take 6.5-8.0 psi to get their with the flow and compression of the base motor.
Gene,

Glad to see you have good understanding of what's going on. There's a whole lot of skeptics most of which just don't realize how much time and effort has gone into testing the stuff we're speaking of already.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I mean I agree if FRPP and whipple are putting this out together then it will be safe and reliable. Damn thats why I'm going with the Whipple HO, I'm a little hesitant of running 11psi and 550hp, but I guess the car can do it
Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

11:1 CR and 7 psi... that's just pretty much f***ing incredible right there. Even ten years ago that would've been sure death for an engine.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
onlymustangfords

Talking Makes sense to me.

Since dyno numbers are looking like a real 450 horsepower is already coming out of the new naturally aspirated coyote engine, 600 hp at low boost (say 5 psi) doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

The TRI-VCT setup and engine control, makes a big difference in what kind of compression ratios you can run with and have an engine live.

So what's not to believe, at least for a car being a weekend racer?

Getting it to hook up, might be the bigger issue...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onlymustangfords

Getting it to hook up, might be the bigger issue...
It aint even gonna hook stock!

2010 4.6 with TR3650 in 2nd with 4.88 Axle
325 x 2.00 x 4.88 = 3172 Torque

2011 5.0 with MT82 in 2nd with standard 3.31 Axle
390 x 2.43 x 3.31 = 3137 Torque

So essentially even with base 3.31 gears its gonna spin 2nd like a 2010 with 4.88 gears!
Still trying to figure out why I waisted money on 3.55's...

Quick Reply: First Look: Whipple 2.3L W140ax for the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT