Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Default Electrical Problems

Car: 06 GT Premium 5speed manual with SCT Tune

Anyone here had any electrical problems with their cars?

Today I went on a drive with some friends through Mulholland and such and halfway through the cruise my car went haywire.

My sequentials no longer work, the right side the inside and outside lights blink then the center comes on and the left side on the first light will come on.

I kept getting the "check charging system" warning light (alternator died and was replaced 5k miles ago) and my windows would not roll up, but my radio never stopped working. Also my ABS, Parking Brake and TCS Lights would all come on.

If I got the motor above 3k rpms all the lights would go away.

I couldnt get to Ford until 3pm so of course they couldnt look at it and I need my car to get back to school so I couldn't leave it there. The service guy told me one of my computer control boards could be fried.

Anyone else have these kinda problems? Luckily i still have 3k left on my warranty.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

SEARCH WATER LEAK.
cARPET WET PASSENGERS SIDE.
iTS KILLED A MORE THAN A FEW SJB.

fricken caps lock...

EVERYTHING you are complaining about is controlled by the SmartJunctionBox inside
the pass compartment.
The water leak has killed it dead.
Time for a new one and get the leak fixed.

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...LOOR-AREA.html

Last edited by 157dB; 04-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

does it take time for the water leak to get to it or sumtin because my car hasnt seen water or rain months
Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

+1 on water leak; it's worth checking out.

I think the problem with the leak is that once that SJB gets wet, stuff starts to corrode and eventually you can start to have issues. I'm no expert, but with all of the signalling being done inside that box, I would think that corrosion, etc, would start to change resistances and could be the cause of "phantom" signals.

Even if it's not the water leak issue, it's probably still the SJB acting up, since as 157db said, all of the systems you are having problems with are controlled by that box.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:42 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

okay yeah the car is going to Ford in the morning. I went to drive it home tonight and the headlights would not stay on unless the engine was above 3k rpm and the radio, and every other electrical was ****ting out on me.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

never had the water leak prob, knock on wood, but i did blow a fuse when i hooked up the tuner the 2nd time, what a p.i.t.a that was to find out the problem, stupid 30 cent fuse will keep the car from starting
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Definitely sounds like the water leak. But what's worse is you're out of warranty and Ford is a bitch to deal with about out of warranty TSB work. Maybe it's simply another alternator issue since low voltage can cause some ugly electrical gremlins.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Definitely sounds like the water leak. But what's worse is you're out of warranty and Ford is a bitch to deal with about out of warranty TSB work. Maybe it's simply another alternator issue since low voltage can cause some ugly electrical gremlins.
I'm actually just inside warranty 67k and warranty to 70k
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yeah, I'm now leaning toward alt. issue...just seems too reproducible to be a shorted out SJB. Who knows, though.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

the above 3k rpm thing leads me to think alt issue. Will wait for results!

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems