Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA long headers

Old 07-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default JBA long headers

I have already put the C/L and tuner on my wish list but how about the long JBA Headers I've read that this promises 25 or maybe its 35 more horses? How are our stock headers? Or they really just cast iron? I think I read somewhere on the forum that if you modify your stang with these with pipes going straight back without the cats that it would actually lose power.

Speak up Mechanics let me know and thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:23 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA long headers

i put the whole jba system on my car with an off-road H pipe (no cats) and it damn sure didnt lower the power...but it didnt add 25-35 hp. the whole system dyno'd at only around 20 hp to the rear wheels.

Our stock headers are cast iron and look a lot like shorty headers. thats the main reason that they have been saying that putting shortys on the 05's are not worth the money b/c basically, we already have those.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 PM
OhFive GT

I also got the whole JBA kit except with the cats on it.. i had previous experience with the police and not having cats... anyways... the exhaust upgrade is well worth it if you want to squeeze out all the power possible.. but I must disclose my experience with them.

I did my own install and it was less then a direct bolt on. The hangers on the H pipe were off, I had to cut them off to fit the pipes. The rear end needed to have the hangers trimmed as well, they were hitting the chassis. The exhaust clamps that come with the kit suck!!! They were leaking everywher, so I put the good reliable U clamps instead. So ultimately after spending 2 saturdays installing and adjusting and a couple weeks of ratling, i took the car to the muffler shop to have it lined up and adjusted. Once that was done, all is good! The car runs great, and I will be doing a dyno tune soon, i got the regular tune on my Xcal2 for now.

Anyways, hope this helps you and if you have any other questions, let me know..

Hey Mac10chap, did you have any issues with the dip stick and the headers? I had to bend mines out of the way. I'm going to need to remove it, and reinstall it threading it through the long tubes, just didn't know if its the type that can be un torqued or what. For now I just bent it so that it goes around the long tubes.. just curious.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:38 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

this month's issue of MM&FFs has a long article on installing the JBA long headers. it goes into all the gory details, lots of pictures, etc.

from memory dyno numbers were:
Baseline b/f swap 278rwhp
Swap with cats 289rwhp
Swap w/o cats 294rwhp

Old 08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

had the same problems with the hangers on the exhaust and stuff...we had to grind them off cause they kept hitting the car. i also had to replace the motor mounts because every time i would rev the engine, it would slam the left header into the side of the chassis. no problems with the dip stick or anything else though, thank god.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
OhFive GT

Well here's the latest adveture with my JBA kit.. i was hearing ratling in my under carriage. i thought it could have been a lose clamp or something so i stopped by my muffler shop on the way to work this morning.. long story shorter.. nothing was lose, they ended up having to take the pipes off and found that the catalytics were falling apart. There were chunks of catalytic in the pipes... so now i contacted Summit for the warranty and exchange and am going to have to wait for special order again. This blows man...
Old 08-13-2005, 01:59 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Wow, that sucks. I thought the same thing was happening to my cats but it ended up being the heat shield vibrating on the O2 sensor. At least they're warrantied.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:12 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OhFive GT

Well here's the latest adveture with my JBA kit.. i was hearing ratling in my under carriage. i thought it could have been a lose clamp or something so i stopped by my muffler shop on the way to work this morning.. long story shorter.. nothing was lose, they ended up having to take the pipes off and found that the catalytics were falling apart. There were chunks of catalytic in the pipes... so now i contacted Summit for the warranty and exchange and am going to have to wait for special order again. This blows man...
Sorry to hear that...[:@]
Old 08-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

i put the whole jba system on my car with an off-road H pipe (no cats) and it damn sure didnt lower the power...but it didnt add 25-35 hp. the whole system dyno'd at only around 20 hp to the rear wheels.

Our stock headers are cast iron and look a lot like shorty headers. thats the main reason that they have been saying that putting shortys on the 05's are not worth the money b/c basically, we already have those.
mac10chap, I understand that the jba shorty headers will also add about 10 horses to the Mustang particularly the equal lenght headers and besides they look a hell of a lot better.