Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK shorties.. steel or paper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 AM
goose5
1st Gear Member

Default BBK shorties.. steel or paper?

I'm putting in my BBK shorty headers on saturday and i just was wondering if anyone knew if i would be further ahead to get new steel gaskets or use the paper ones that came with the kit.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Most people recommend getting new OEM gaskets unless your current ones are low mileage, then you can re-use the original ones with some copper RTV on them.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I just used the thick papers ones. I figured people trust BBK pipes, why not trust their gasket choice......

Good luck with the install, it's the most irritatingly fiddly job I ever did on my car..... Will never repeat it.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
JonStolo

I used the gaskets that BBK sent with the headers and have had no problems with them. BBK has been around for a long time for a reason, they aren't going to send you a piece of crap gasket. If you are doing the install yourself, be prepared to take your time, go slow and be patient. It's a tedious knuckle busting process that you want to get right the first time. However, when you are finished and you feel all that extra torque you will know it was worth it. Also, here's a small tip for you, leave the bottom front 2 studs on the heads, it makes lining up the gasket and holes for the bolts alot easier.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JonStolo
Also, here's a small tip for you, leave the bottom front 2 studs on the heads, it makes lining up the gasket and holes for the bolts alot easier.
Yea, good advice there. Don't be tempted to use any other studs, it's crushing to realise that you were wrong to assume that one or more of the other studs would be fine to leave after you pretty much wrestled the header in place already.

Worst part of the install for me was the drivers side header. The elements which made that hard are now added to my "all time hate list" and are the steering shaft, the dipstick holder and the AirCon lines.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i would use the ones that come with the headers
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I reused the stock steel gaskets on mine. I also reused as many studs as I could. Where I couldn't use a stud I used stage 8 locking bolts. The reason I did all of those things was to prevent leaky headers and loose header bolts. So far so good.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

I ordered some new MLS gaskets this morning, we're not too busy friday so i may get to start friday afternoon... I also have a magnaflow catted-X, and the 3" magnapack catbacks sitting in boxes in my bay. I'm starting to get excited:P Thanks for all your opinions
Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

I just did my headers today... i used a new set of stock steel gaskets. They were 1000X easier than i thought they would be. I was all set up for this terrible job and it was quite easy lol. They sound great with the magnaflow exhaust. Thanks for the tips... reusing the lower front 2 studs was a life saver.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

pics / vids yo!

Quick Reply: BBK shorties.. steel or paper?