Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car still in shop, ECM is bad it seems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Car still in shop, ECM is bad it seems

So i mentioned last week that the gauges on my car started going all wonky all the sudden. speedo would stop working, then come back on later, trip computer would tell me i was out of gas even though the tank was full and whatnot. Took the car to local dealer, bunch of tools wanted to re flash the ECU to stock and send me home.

Took it to a roush dealer and they have spent the last 4 days trying to diagnose the problem. boils down to the ECU has gone bad in the car. Apparently has nothing to do with the blower or the install, it just happened to go bad right after. this is why the car was perfect Friday and Saturday last week then went crazy Sunday.

anyway, we shall see how this whole warranty thing with Roush works out. the dealer is telling me the challenge at this point it figuring out who will pay for the new ECU. ford could say the Roush flash caused the issue and Roush could say the Ford ECU was bad leaving me stuck with no help. The dealer says he has never in all the years they have been a roush dealer seen this happen, but he was warning me.

roush actually had him call me and ask if i had reflashed the ECM with an aftermarket tune, which i have not. didn't have the car a good 2 days with the blower before the gauges went wonky. anyway, looks like it will be the middle of next week before i get the car back again. Sucks! New blown GT i haven't been able to drive for half the time i have owned it over one issue or another. and i am still fighting with the dealer on the damn louvers. Lol... it's a damn good thing I really love my car or I would be really mad after all of this.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Man, this brings up an interesting question: Does re-flashing the computer put you at higher risk for something like this? It wouldn't seem so, given how many times these things get reflashed with tune updates from the dealer or from the tuners. How many folks have bought an SCT tuner with 3 custom tunes and regularly gone back and forth between the tunes?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

That sucks. I'm guessing Roush is gonna have to replace it since they altered it from factory. Could be a sloppy install or static that made it crap out too. It sucks that Roush makes you remove, ship and reinstall ECM instead of using a programmer like FRPP.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Yeah it does suck. the dealer says there is no indication it had anything to do with the blower or the install. Everything on that looks fine. He said some parts just break and it could have done it without the blower just as easy. with those things just sitting under the hood, i bet they are well insulated against water, shocks and heat.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Sounds more like a bad gauge cluster and not the computer to me. They have a test they can run on the cluster to see if it is bad or not. Have they done the test on the cluster??? I just went thru this same thing on my work truck (2008 International Paystar). The truck ran fine just screwed up gauge cluster. They replaced the cluster and now all is good.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAKnBLK2010
Sounds more like a bad gauge cluster and not the computer to me. They have a test they can run on the cluster to see if it is bad or not. Have they done the test on the cluster??? I just went thru this same thing on my work truck (2008 International Paystar). The truck ran fine just screwed up gauge cluster. They replaced the cluster and now all is good.
Yeah all the error codes are for gauges only and all say they can;t communicate with the ECM. they tried to flash to ford stock so they could send it to roush assuming it was a bad flash there. The ECM refused to allow any of the ford programmers to access the system or something to that effect. The basically got an error when they tried to flash teh ECM saying the ecm wasn't recognized. These guys are a roush dealer, presumably they know what they are doing.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

So car runs fine and just cluster has issues? Bizzarre.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
So car runs fine and just cluster has issues? Bizzarre.
Yep it runs just fine. Just the gauge issue.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

Shane, you mentioned you've only been able to drive the car about half the time you've owned it. What other issues have you had?

Regarding the PCM; probably just some bad luck for you and nothing to do with the recalibration. I used to switch between Tillman and Brenspeed tunes almost weekly with the SCT and it had no effect whatsoever on the PCM, it's just a computer. I've been building computers since the IBM PC first hit the market, sometimes you get a bad part from the manufactuer, it's just the way it is.

The only issue I've had with my car was a bad water pump from the factory; it was fixed promptly under warranty.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:23 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Gauges acting possesed is usually a bad battery or alternator. IIRC the Roush install requires some hacking of the alternator. IF the installer didn't protect the alternator during modification it is quite possible for metal dust and fragments to get inside and kill it.

Quick Reply: Car still in shop, ECM is bad it seems