Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DTC P0430

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
F350-6

Default DTC P0430

05 GT with a stock engine and axle back exhaust. I've done a little reading here and the code seems common with a high flow kitty. Just got the car so I'm going off what the original owner said was done. I'm a little lost when poking around under the hood of this thing. Can anyone tell me where the rear O2 sensors are and how to test them just in case?

How would I tell stock vs. high flo cats by looking at them? I didn't really play around with the scanner to see what all I can monitor, but in case I can watch O2 data, what values should I be looking for?

I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty, I just don't understand enough about these engines to know what I'm doing, so please point me in the right direction.

The only other issue recently has been a dead battery in case that's related. Here's the data I've got so far in case it helps.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Yup, its very common among high flow cats. The rear o2's plug directly into the cat under the car. It should be a pretty thick green wire (iirc). And this upgrade is common with LT installs. So if you have longtube headers, then you probably have high flow cats. The best way to remedy this is to turn off your rear o2's. The rear o2's are just for monitoring and do not affect driveablity. If you email your tune to Brenspeed, they can adjust the tune for about $10.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 AM
F350-6

Thanks. Problem is I just picked up the car. Headers are stock and I haven't crawled under there to look at the cats, but from talking to the previous owner, they are supposedly stock. Also, I have no tune to send off to get tweaked. (at least yet)

Just trying to figure out what causes this in a stock configuration.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

If its stock...usually running very rich will kill cats pretty quickly. how many miles are on the car? is it possible the cats are just going bad? the easiest and cheapest way to test it would be to switch the left and right rear o2 sensors and follow the problem. It usually takes me about 160 miles for the rear o2 to register a problem.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I replied to your thread on Stangnet. I'm not typing it again. LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

running leaded racing fuel will kill your cats too.
Brenspeed cant adjust anybody's tune but the tuness that Brenspeed originally created. Tunes are locked by the original creator.
They also cant adjust your stock PCM configuration at all.

Last edited by zkiller; 04-29-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F350-6
05 GT with a stock engine and axle back exhaust. I've done a little reading here and the code seems common with a high flow kitty. Just got the car so I'm going off what the original owner said was done. I'm a little lost when poking around under the hood of this thing. Can anyone tell me where the rear O2 sensors are and how to test them just in case?

How would I tell stock vs. high flo cats by looking at them? I didn't really play around with the scanner to see what all I can monitor, but in case I can watch O2 data, what values should I be looking for?

I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty, I just don't understand enough about these engines to know what I'm doing, so please point me in the right direction.

The only other issue recently has been a dead battery in case that's related. Here's the data I've got so far in case it helps.

Looking at your data:

The front o2 sensor for bank two needs to be replaced (Short Term Fuel Trim Bank Two - 10%) it is not reading as close to bank one as it should.

The front o2 sensors control the A/F when in closed loop. In WOT they are out of the picture.

The rear o2 sensors are there just to monitor the cats. They play no other part.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 AM
F350-6

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
If its stock...usually running very rich will kill cats pretty quickly. how many miles are on the car? is it possible the cats are just going bad? the easiest and cheapest way to test it would be to switch the left and right rear o2 sensors and follow the problem. It usually takes me about 160 miles for the rear o2 to register a problem.
Mileage is around 43,000. If the weather cooperates I'll switch the right and left sensors this weekend.

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
I replied to your thread on Stangnet. I'm not typing it again. LOL

Originally Posted by GT John
Looking at your data:

The front o2 sensor for bank two needs to be replaced (Short Term Fuel Trim Bank Two - 10%) it is not reading as close to bank one as it should.

The front o2 sensors control the A/F when in closed loop. In WOT they are out of the picture.

The rear o2 sensors are there just to monitor the cats. They play no other part.
Thanks. I thought that number looked out of place, but didn't know what the default values should be.

Is there any way to ohm out an O2 sensor to see if it's good, or should I just switch things around and see if the code comes back?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Wildpig51
2nd Gear Member

having a simular problem thanks for all the info.......
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
F350-6

Originally Posted by Wildpig51
having a simular problem thanks for all the info.......
Haven't got the problem to show up again so it's still a work in progress. I'll update if it shows up again.

Quick Reply: DTC P0430