Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does your fuel tank gag at the station?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
belamtn

Default Does your fuel tank gag at the station?

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums and was hoping to be put at ease about my tank-filling experiences. My apologies if this has been beat to death on some thread somewhere!

About every other time I fill (at varying stations), it seems my tank isn't getting enough air to allow the nozzle to do its filling. I thought it was just those nozzles with boots, but yesterday a bootless one gave me hell and so I ended up standing there trickling in the fuel, forever.

Is this an unfortunate norm, or could I possibly have a clan of gnomes clogging an air hole somwhere??

Thank you for any insight!!!

Oh yeah, I'm in an '05 gt convertible.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:56 PM
karazuba
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Does your fuel tank gag at the station?

it has been beat to death, but thanks for apologizing...

There is a TSB out on this. Call your Ford dealer, explain the problem, and they will order and install a new fuel tank for you. You can find more information with the very-helpful SEARCH function above
Old 08-03-2005, 04:29 PM
belamtn

Sh*t, now I see the little search link. Apologies again...I got in a hurry.

Thanks for the feedback karazuba!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:47 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the forum . . very nice looking convertible! congrats on a fine looking car

the good news is there's a TSB for your tank issue; the bad news is the fix makes it better, but sometimes you'll still get the occasional shutoff, especially with pumps with vapor recapture fittings (my experience at least).
Old 08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
belamtn

Thanks Blue! I just made the call to the dealer...made me a little nervous he hadn't heard of it (b/c there's not a lot of conv's in OR?)...HE KNOWS NOW!! I'll look forward to that sexy new tank!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 PM
karazuba
1st Gear Member

sexy new tank? i guess....

anyway, he may not have 'heard' of it, but I gaurantee you he knows about it. Dealer BS is truely amazing. I've had the front suspension changed three times for the popping noise. Guy told me the second time that 'this is the first one i've seen do this.' I reminded him that I was there not three weeks earlier with the same symptons, for the same fix. His response: "....."

I agree with 05sonicblue--mine shuts off evety 10 times or so, and while it is a pain in the a$$, it is a lot better than everytime, and not worth the aggravation of a dealer visit.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the Forums!
If you haven't seen it yet the work around for the fuel tank prob is to hold the nozzle with the handle at the 3 o'clock position, instead of normal 6 o'clock. You might be able to set the lock, put you'll still have to hold it there. Don't bother with trying to squeeze it each time- you'll only get a few ounces out per squeeze and get a sore hand.
I am waiting to take mine in. I know I have enough problems- the fuel tank, front suspension popping sounds (getting really bad) and Shaker 500 that won't play homemade cds.
By the way, Belamtn, what was the production date on your car? i thought they went to the new tank by May. Or did you get one that had been around for a while? Mine was April :-(
Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 PM
belamtn

Yeah, I saw the thread mentioning the 3 o'clock position....fun being in OR and shooing the attendants away...makes me look like a dick I'm sure. I'll be sure to share my dealership experience on the tank replacement.

My Shaker1000 and front suspension seem to be behaving. I can play MP3 cds and I haven't heard any popping from the front. Is that suspension sound loud and obvious? I'll search the forum for threads on that problem.

My production date was pre 3/18. That's the day it rolled off the truck at the dealer, and my purchase date. So I've got the old tank. Jesus, what other nightmares have I not been aware of???? I shouldn't ask.