Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Running in & synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Running in & synthetic

If you change your oil at the Ford recommended intervals, you don't gain anything by going to synthetic....ya, sure, synth oil have more additives, which greatly protect the car from viscosity breakdown. But to me it only makes sense to go synth if you don't change your oil at the recommended intervals...instead maybe at double the intervals. Not that I would, but I just read that you can go 25,000-50,000 miles before changing synth oil as long as you change the oil filter every 10,000 miles. So can someone please explain to me why you would consider going to synth over regular oil if you change the oil at the Ford recommended intervals? me thinks that your wallet is gonna take a hit, but that's about it.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:56 PM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

Why use synthetic? I use it for INSURANCE ! I live in "The Valley" in Texas. Dude, 100 Degrees PLUS most all Summer. I sit in traffic, blow down the road, and push it hard. In this heat, I FEEL better using the best protection there is protecting that 300HP engine ! I don't want to do anything that is just "good enough" for this car. I try to use the finest washes, waxes, greases, and any other maintenance items so this car will last....with minimum wear, aging, and problems. Thats just the way I am.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

so you use synthetic for peace of mind...but is there any scientific evidence that shows that synth oil works better than regular if you change the oil at dealer recommended intervals?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:33 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I'm sure that scientific evidence DOES exist, but the only evidence I need is the BIG asteric in my owners manual that says the car must run on synthetic after the break in oil life of 500 miles - kind of like the other warning that says PREMIUM fuel only [8D]
Old 08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

Scientific evidence DOES exist for Dino vs Synthetic performance characteristics.

I believe your question is: "At the manufacters recommended change intervals do you get to take advantage of those enhanced performance characteristics?"

I can only think of two characteristics that may be of an advantage at factory recomended change intervals: 1. Faster flow at start up. Since almost all wear occurs at start-up, this may be an advantage....although I admit it would be hard to quantify the difference in a short period of time. 2. Cleanliness. Synthetic keeps your engine clean. I have torn down/examined many engines run on dino/synthetic and there is no denying those run with Synthetics are cleaner. What is the cleanliness worth? Less deposits on valve stems, less sticky rings, low or non-existant sludge formation etc. Once again, this may not mean anything to those who don't know. 3. MAYBE a slight increase in fuel mileage....although I have to admit this would be very small the way I drive.

Now I have to admit to the "average" person driving these cars using dino changed at recommended intervals the difference between the two will most likely never be realized in the "short-term". Most folks will drive them around and trade it in with no detrimental effects. Me on the other hand will keep this car forever, (meaning most likely the rest of my life anyway), and I intend to give it the best care possible. Financially the difference in price of the oil means nothing to me.....if it did, I wouldn't have bought the car.

So for ME the choice is synthetic. It is for all my other vehicles and gasoline powered toys and tools as well. Could I have gotten by all the millions of miles I have driven by using DINO? Sure I could have, but my CHOICE is to use synthetics for my peace-of-mind.

God Bless America !