Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Small tune issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Default Small tune issue

In mid-April, I ordered the Steeda delete plugs and JLT CAI from Tillman. At the time, I was dealing with Chris Rose directly. The order went out later than I was told, and I had to call 4 times to get the updated tune. But, alas, everything arrived eventually, and I was happy with how the car drove. At about the same time, Rose left for American Muscle, so I figured the dynamics at Tillman in his last days contributed to me having to "pull teeth" to get the parts/tune. Plus, Chris always seemed nice enough, as well as knowledgable.

Anyway, the tune has one small issue -- during cold startup, it idles as normal at about 1400 RPM, but then starts to climb up - sometimes as high as 2000 RPM. It only does that for a second or two before going into closed loop and coming back down to 1000 RPM. Not a big deal, but something it didn't do before and something Rose agreed to try and fix. I had even thought that it went away after the computer "learned," but it didn't.

Problem here, I'm back to pulling teeth to get Rose to update the tune. I PM'd him on 4/28, and he stated he would try one thing to the tune and send me an update. He implied that this just may be the nature of it, but was more than willing to try and correct it. Well, after about a week of PMs, I still had nothing.

So, for the past month, I have been PM'ing Rose, leaving voicemails, and occasionally catching him on the phone. He is always friendly, and he always agrees to send me an update within the next day or two. Yet, here I am with no update. He seems responsive enough on open forums, but not one-on-one.

I am really thinking the "helpfulness" that he shows on the phone and in open forum is not genuine . . . and I wonder if I'm being downright lied to when he agrees to send the update. What's really funny, as another member pointed out to me, his emails/PMs always end with something like "Don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything else." What they should say is "Go ahead and try to call me, but I won't respond."

I realize he worked for Tillman when writing this tune, but he has openly stated he will work with his former customers' tunes even though he has left for American Muscle. I have must admit, I have a terrible taste in my mouth for AM based on this.

There will be Chris Rose lovers who flame out on me for this, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who gets shined on when dealing with him.

Bottom line, I will likely be getting a custom dyno tune in the next month or so, in no small part to tune out this issue.

Last edited by cidsamuth; 05-27-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry to hear it

Last edited by hammeron; 05-28-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
joelr9801
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info cidsamuth. I am getting ready to order a tune soon and I'm still deciding who to go with, and I need all the help I can get! Hope you get this resolved soon..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

OP, I understand you frustration. I would call Chris and when you get him on the phone be very polite, ask yours questions and ask for a time line if and when you can expect a new tune. A nice professional approach will usually lead to better results than going off on the phone. Nobody enjoys a yelling match, either person.

Another option is if you plan to do any other mods that include a tune such as headers, then maybe buy them from another retailer (brenspeed) or other and have them email you a new tune.

patrick
Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
OP, I understand you frustration. I would call Chris and when you get him on the phone be very polite, ask yours questions and ask for a time line if and when you can expect a new tune. A nice professional approach will usually lead to better results than going off on the phone. Nobody enjoys a yelling match, either person.

Another option is if you plan to do any other mods that include a tune such as headers, then maybe buy them from another retailer (brenspeed) or other and have them email you a new tune.

patrick
Thanks, Patrick. I tried your suggestion with Rose on multiple occasions. I was always polite and always asked when it was coming.

And I will absolutely be getting my tunes elsewhere. I'm thinking a custom dyno tune at this point, but a mail order tune from Brenspeed or similar may be what I do.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Thats a shame. Maybe this thread will generate some action. Might be time to get those headers you know you are wanting from brenspeed.

patrick
Old 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Might be time to get those headers you know you are wanting from brenspeed.
I would love it, but headers do not score highly on the hp-to-$ chart unless combined with a whole lot of other expensive upgrades, e.g. s/c, cams, etc.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
So, for the past month, I have been PM'ing Rose, leaving voicemails, and occasionally catching him on the phone. He is always friendly, and he always agrees to send me an update within the next day or two. Yet, here I am with no update. He seems responsive enough on open forums, but not one-on-one.
*Sigh*

Unfortunately, while being very patient (waiting weeks between emails with no response, not wanting to pester him) I, too, get no response of late.

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
What's really funny, as another member pointed out to me, his emails/PMs always end with something like "Don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything else."
I see the same tag line at the end of messages from this hard working soul, and took it to heart. Contacted him as I said, but responses are few and far between.

It's a shame, but the climbing the proverbial corporate ladder of success (whether it be up or laterally) sometimes takes away the qualities of what got you there in the first place.

I do realize it was mentioned by Mr. Rose that work for former Tillman customers are done on his own time -- and I understand that may not leave much room in his life for other activities. But if work for his former clients isn't going anywhere like it used to, the "Don't hesitate to contact me anytime..." phrase might need to be used a bit more judiciously when responding to us folks.

Suffice it to say my request, in its simplest form, could have been answered with a simple yes/no.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Or how about the one "I'll shoot that right out to you only takes a couple of minutes" Well I guess I am not the only one not getting any response eh Chris? Enjoying my 250 dollars I spent to pay for your mortgage? Unfortunately I became rude with Mr. Rose which is not the way I like to behave but to be left hanging doesn't do well for one's patience.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Fellas,

I have only 10 private message slots available for some reason. I don't know if it's because I don't have enough posts or what? I get 10 messages, and that gets filled up in about a day's time. My personal email address is chrisroseefi@aim.com. If you send me an email, I will have no problem updating Tillman files. This is the easiest way to get ahold of me to get your files updated. I will respond within 24-48 hours. Thanks again!

Chris Rose

Quick Reply: Small tune issue