Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problem Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 AM
danielcombs

Default Problem Shifting?

Some of you might laugh and others may cry when i tell you this.

I ordered my 05 mustang gt with a manual transmission having never driven a manual before....somehow i just new i wanted a manual. I practiced in a friends 03 mustang, and never stalled, although i did have several close calls. Never ground gears either. When my gt finally arrived and i took it out on the road, I went easy on the car, call it a break in period for both of us. Once i exceeded my first thousand miles...I slowly worked on shifting faster, matching RPMs on a shift, and after 3000 miles practiced more agressive shifting at high RPM's. I never did a down shift without reving up to match RPMs. Ive had experienced drivers, one with a 650hp vette drive with me just to see how i was doing, and all said that my driving was not agressive, but it was certainly good in the fact that i was not going to break anything by trying to drive beyond my experience.

Just recently when I had finally become accustomed to fast take offs and high RPM shifting, i noticed that shifting at high RPMs was becoming more difficult, untill one day i tried to go from 1st to second at about 5 grand, and I could not put it into second untill RPM lowerd to under 3 grand...and then, it was difficult. I thought maybe i had just not pressed the cluth all the way, so tried again from second to third and had the same problem. After about a week i was forced to shift at about 2-2.5k, which is a sin in this car. I brought it to the dealer and explained the problem...and told them that i could feel and hear crunching noises coming from the shifter...probably from the shifting rod. After a day they said they road tested my car and experienced normal resistance. The supervisor explained to me..not in these exact words and yes i am being a little sarcastic here, that its normal for a car to suddenly change shifting habbits and that at higher RPMs you really have to shove it into gear...even though before this i never experienced much of a differnce at all between different RPMs...higher RPMs were a little more difficult...but not to the extend that i have to push with all my might just to get it in. I let my friend witht he vette (he has driven manuals his entire life) mess with it and he too agreed that something did not feel right at high RPMs. Shortly after that myself and another friend were headed out to a bar and i decided i would let him listen to the shift. I went from first to second, got up to 5000 RPM in second and shifted into third hard...as i was instructed to do by the service center. What followed was a horrible crunching noise, followed by the shifter shoving itself and my arm back out of third (i was still pushing hard when i wass overpowered by this) into neutral... I am pretty sure that is not normal. Has anyone heard of anyone else having this problem?

I heard an interesting theory from a friend who reads up alot on this car.. Apparently when they droped the shifterr back this year they had to add a shifting rod since the shifter was no longer over the tranny, and instead of mounting it to the transmission, they mounted it to the from just under the shifter. The bushings that support the forces exerted by the engine rising at high RPMs have been known to fail aaccording to this article.....this would result in the shifting rod getting jammed in place...whice would perfectly eplain my problem. But according to the service center...my shifter is supposed to act this way.

I would really appreciate any insight as i said this is my first manual, and i can promise you that ihave never ground a gear or beat up on my transmission. This has taken all the fun out of driving this car for me... I used to drive the long way home and shift through the gears at high RPMs with no trouble....and now i can only shift effectively below 3k...... I dont know what i did to desrve this
Old 08-06-2005, 12:32 AM
danielcombs

Default RE: Problem Shifting?

the shifting rod is mounted to the frame...not to the from

and to be more specific...it is hard to get out of, and into gears at high RPMs
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I know it's a $1000 option but wouldn't it have been easier to have just bought an automatic?
Try matching your revs and checking the TSB's for the 5 speed tranny shavings.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:26 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Something doesn't sound right.

My advice would be to ask another mustang driver to take your car out OR drive another manual 2005 mustang gt. Why don't you have the service guy drive your car and then a demo on the lot. Try both and see.

I rev it up all the time beyond 6K and I don't have to "SLAM" it into the next gear
Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 PM
GT/ROUSH

That never happened in the ROUSH. I'd get a manager involved, because it sounds like those grease monkeys at the Ford garage are bullsh**ting you. Something's not right.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:43 AM
danielcombs

yes it would have been easier to buy the auto... but a manual is so much more fun. And at that price, I'd rather go through a clutch learning how to drive a manual and just replace it if I had to. Although, I've been told that by a few people that I drive better now after 3000 miles than alot of people do who have been driving for years.

Anyways i am going to go to Hall Ford in Virginia Beach, Beach Ford is the one that gave me the run around, or i might just go to a Beach ford manager and have him get in the car with me, and I'll scare him so much that he'll agree to change out everything just to get out of my car
Old 08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
danielcombs

by the way, how do you feel about black stripes on mineral gray. The picture looks nice, just curious how it lookson the road. Have you seen or heard of any other colors working well with mineral gray?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Krazed
1st Gear Member

I'm a noob to the boards, but I found an article that might help you out.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...tang_tune.html

They explain the new 'throttle-by-wire' system that Ford installed in the Mustangs. They also say that a tune can remove the 'laggy' feeling you have when you shift.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:05 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Krazed

I'm a noob to the boards, but I found an article that might help you out.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...tang_tune.html

They explain the new 'throttle-by-wire' system that Ford installed in the Mustangs. They also say that a tune can remove the 'laggy' feeling you have when you shift.
a tune does relieve certain laggy points in the RPM range and increase throttle response, but it won't cure DanielCombs which is the need to slam the shifter into gear when he's above 3000RPM
Old 08-07-2005, 08:54 PM
GT/ROUSH

ORIGINAL: danielcombs

by the way, how do you feel about black stripes on mineral gray. The picture looks nice, just curious how it lookson the road. Have you seen or heard of any other colors working well with mineral gray?
Well, when me and my dad are at car shows, people come up and say it reminds them of Eleanor, the 67 Shelby. And they say how much they love that color. I think black is the only good stripe color for mineral grey. I have seen red/black (looked beautiful), yellow/black, white/blue, and blue/white ROUSH's, and they look pretty nice, too. Almost everyone we pass on the street is staring at this car, because where I live, no one has really seen anything like it.