Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best price for intercooled Twin Screw???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangpilot08
Okay... Got a line on a used Whipple Non IC kit, but have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answers too. I will need a hand held tuner for this kit as it does not seem that the Pro Cal unit from Ford is transferable (for obvios reasons). Does anyone know a company that has a canned tune writted for the Whipple in a SCT or Diablo and how much... Secondly, I can't find the HO kit for the Whipple as an add on. I went to Whipples site and can't even find one there???
Just my advice, but don't buy a used F/I setup. Whipple doesn't sell direct, which is why you can't find anything on their site for the big boost kit. Lethalperformance.com sells the big boost kit and they are great to work with (I bought my Whipple fom them). Brenspeed and VMP both sell canned tunes for the Whipple HO on SCT software. If I were you, I'd contact Jared at Lethal Performance (his MF user name is BoostAddict) or Steve at Tousley Ford and ask them what's the best price they can give you. I promise you, the agreed upon price will not be nearly as scary as the MSRP of these kits. If you want plenty of room to grow, then don't let impatience get between you and a twin screw. It'll be worth the wait.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Okay... Got a line on a used Whipple Non IC kit, but have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answers too. I will need a hand held tuner for this kit as it does not seem that the Pro Cal unit from Ford is transferable (for obvios reasons). Does anyone know a company that has a canned tune writted for the Whipple in a SCT or Diablo and how much... Secondly, I can't find the HO kit for the Whipple as an add on. I went to Whipples site and can't even find one there???
Call Ford Racing. If you have the pro-cal they will sell you a tune. Last time I checked it was $150.

The big boost kit is available from Whipple or an frpp dealer. Last time I checked Whipple wanted $2600. I shopped around and got one for about $2250. Go to www.fordracingparts.com and search for big boost. Get the part number and google it, start your comparison shopping. Or just call Steve at Tousley since they will have the lowest price anyway.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Being from the south and knowing how hot it gets in the summer, i would really suggest finding a intercooled kit. $4400 for thr roush M90 intercooled and 100% complete. Yep, you all knew that was coming right...
He's looking for a twin screw.

Last edited by BruceH; 06-27-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added funny icon to prevent internet misinterpretation
Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Just my advice, but don't buy a used F/I setup. Whipple doesn't sell direct, which is why you can't find anything on their site for the big boost kit. Lethalperformance.com sells the big boost kit and they are great to work with (I bought my Whipple fom them). Brenspeed and VMP both sell canned tunes for the Whipple HO on SCT software. If I were you, I'd contact Jared at Lethal Performance (his MF user name is BoostAddict) or Steve at Tousley Ford and ask them what's the best price they can give you. I promise you, the agreed upon price will not be nearly as scary as the MSRP of these kits. If you want plenty of room to grow, then don't let impatience get between you and a twin screw. It'll be worth the wait.
Lethal just quoted me $630 for the SCT with Whipple tunes. That was for 2 sets of tunes (IC and non IC). Guess I need to call Steve
Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Anyone have Steve's email address over there at Tousley?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If you want plenty of room to grow, then don't let impatience get between you and a twin screw. It'll be worth the wait.
Ditto, best peice of advice yet

..for all supercharger kits even, if it's one out there you want but cannot get now- never compromise or you'll always be regretting it.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

No timeline yet, but I will be selling my mustang, and I will likely pull my KB 2.6L off and sell it separate. If I do, it will be for $4k, and I can make a deal to sell the gauges with it.

The kit is the polished stage 1 intercooled with the 90mm maf and canister filter. The tuner is an SCT X3, and I can probably get whoever buys it the proper tune for their PCM from KB (normally comes with a generic uploader). The kit and tuner would cost $7500 new.

The gauges are: AEM wideband AF, autometer boost, and Aeroforce intercepter, all in a 3 pod SOS pillar.

My current time frame is next 2-6 weeks, I only decided to sell yesterday and haven't decided if I will sell the supercharger on the car or separate. If you are looking for something asap, this probably isn't the best choice as I can't commit to anything quite yet, but if you are still tossing it back and forth and don't have a specific time goal in mind, and are interested, drop me a PM.

If I pull the kit, it will be as complete as I can make it, and the directions will be included (all 550+ steps). There might be a screw or even a hose missing, but nothing you couldn't get at a local auto store. Install is simple and doesn't require much in the way of specialty tools. Most "home mechanics" take about 3 full days to install.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Ditto, best peice of advice yet

..for all supercharger kits even, if it's one out there you want but cannot get now- never compromise or you'll always be regretting it.
Guess I won't be the guy buying your Vortech in August... Did you order your Magna Charger yet?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Guess I won't be the guy buying your Vortech in August... Did you order your Magna Charger yet?
it's okay. I decided to just keep it and (*gag*) pull it out every winter. The reward will be big boost during the summer and pretty much stock during the winter. No biggie though, it takes about the same time to switch over from summer to snow tires anyways. Pretty much just pulling off the belt, inlet tubes and unbolt the blower itself, switching out the fuel rail, turning down the BAP to "min". Peice of cake

Once I get the intercooler upgrade, I can pretty much crank out some great numbers!

No use dishing out a ton of money for a new kit, when the one I got is fine.. just takes effort in maintaining it, and a hell of alot better than keeping it on all during winter, risking failure...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
If I were you I would not buy anything that I was not 100% happy with. I would wait until I had the money. The difference between the $4500 kits and $6500 kits are night and day. In order to make the cheaper kits complete and get the satisfaction you are looking for, you end up spending another $2500 in parts and labor.

My suggestion is to get a whipple or Kenne Bell intercooled kit that is complete with everything you will need. I have installed the KB and it was not hard. Whipple is supposed to not be so bad either.
+1 Add Edelbrock to the list. A kit from Brenspeed, JDM, or Tillman is just as complete as the Whipple kit which everybody says the most complete kit. It will come with the GT500 fuel system and all the other upgrades you'll need (except a clutch LOL).

I installed my Edelbrock myself. I had some issues due to being an early adopter last year but Edelbrock has ironed all that stuff out now. Prior to doing this, my only mechanical experience was changing oil, mufflers, and I turned a wrench for my buddy who did most of the work in putting longtube headers on my car.

Download the instructions for all the ones you are considering. Read over them, and go with what you are more comfortable with.

Quick Reply: Best price for intercooled Twin Screw???