Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.0 vs lexus ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I raced an ISF at the track in my mostly stock 08 GT. It was dead even until about 90. He pulled about 2 cars by the end of the 1/4.

Sorta fail.
300 hp vs. 416 hp. I would term that successful if you hung with him until 90 mph.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

294 vs 425.....no matter how bad the driver with that power should have passed me that close, this was how was start to finish

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 06-18-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I raced an ISF at the track in my mostly stock 08 GT. It was dead even until about 90. He pulled about 2 cars by the end of the 1/4.

Sorta fail.
You raced a bad driver then who didn't know how to launch the car, as a stock 08 GT runs at best mid 13's at 104-105 mph trap speeds (and many seem to be in the mid to high 13's at 103 range).
That's more on par and equal to a stock 335i, and here's what a stock ISF does to a stock 335i and the stock 335i jump each time too. (Throw on one of the newer JB3 v2.0 tunes on the 335i though and they are dead even, though the ISf would still pull on the older versions of the JB3 (v1.2-1.4) by a tiny bit still).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhrRZS-Vpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doiUnMocw0U

The ISF is pretty darn quick, and will walk a stock 05-10 GT no problem.
it's a high 12's car that traps in the 112-114 mph range.

At a drag strip it compares very well with the M3 and therefore the 11 MGT as well.
There would be no "spanking" from either car on the other.

The ISF pulls hard above 100 mph too , where most cars are going into a tallish 4th gear, they have that 8 speed auto that helps them well in the 100-150 mph range.

On a track the M3 out paces the ISF given equal drivers, but not by a bunch. The ISF is more of a handful than the M3, but with someone skilled behind the wheel it won't be too far behind a skilled driver in an M3 either.

I suspect that would be the same with the 2011 GT with Brembo brake package too.
Would be behind the M3 but not by too far and against the ISF they should be within spitting range of each other.

It will be a pretty equal performance comparo all around between the 11 GT and the IS-F, IMHO.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
You raced a bad driver then who didn't know how to launch the car, as a stock 08 GT runs at best mid 13's at 104-105 mph trap speeds (and many seem to be in the mid to high 13's at 103 range).
That's more on par and equal to a stock 335i, and here's what a stock ISF does to a stock 335i and the stock 335i jump each time too. (Throw on one of the newer JB3 v2.0 tunes on the 335i though and they are dead even, though the ISf would still pull on the older versions of the JB3 (v1.2-1.4) by a tiny bit still).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhrRZS-Vpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doiUnMocw0U

The ISF is pretty darn quick, and will walk a stock 05-10 GT no problem.
it's a high 12's car that traps in the 112-114 mph range.

At a drag strip it compares very well with the M3 and therefore the 11 MGT as well.
There would be no "spanking" from either car on the other.

The ISF pulls hard above 100 mph too , where most cars are going into a tallish 4th gear, they have that 8 speed auto that helps them well in the 100-150 mph range.

On a track the M3 out paces the ISF given equal drivers, but not by a bunch. The ISF is more of a handful than the M3, but with someone skilled behind the wheel it won't be too far behind a skilled driver in an M3 either.

I suspect that would be the same with the 2011 GT with Brembo brake package too.
Would be behind the M3 but not by too far and against the ISF they should be within spitting range of each other.

It will be a pretty equal performance comparo all around between the 11 GT and the IS-F, IMHO.
Got into it with a 335i and an ISF last week on the road and I spanked them both but I know i'm supposed to but the look on those faces was funny when I blew them out. They had the WTF I just got beat by a mustang look. To beat all of it both of them started pickin on me before I got on it.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:11 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

maybe this one would give our GT's a little more comp. but at $375,000 forget it.

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a_roadster.html
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

This is really a bogus thread. The two cars have nothing in common and are for two different market targets.

The Lexus will cost much more and, for that price, you get a civilized, sophisticated car that is tight, quiet, and quick.

The Mustang is out power, handling, and turning heads -- not much more. Ford has made many strides in the 2010 and 2011 Mustangs, but it was not designed to compete with the Lexus.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Got into it with a 335i and an ISF last week on the road and I spanked them both but I know i'm supposed to but the look on those faces was funny when I blew them out. They had the WTF I just got beat by a mustang look. To beat all of it both of them started pickin on me before I got on it.
Sweet. Yeah, as you said, with the s/c on your car, I'd think you'd expect too.
Run a 335i with tune, meth and a few bolt ons.
They are mad fast. I miss mine in some degrees.
The N54 engine is amazing that for 2-3 grand or so in mods, you can run 130+ mph traps in it.

Have you dynoed and taken your car to a drag strip?
How'd you do?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Sweet. Yeah, as you said, with the s/c on your car, I'd think you'd expect too.
Run a 335i with tune, meth and a few bolt ons.
They are mad fast. I miss mine in some degrees.
The N54 engine is amazing that for 2-3 grand or so in mods, you can run 130+ mph traps in it.

Have you dynoed and taken your car to a drag strip?
How'd you do?
Not gonna dyno tune it for another year or so because of the warranty. I figure it's right around 380whp. The only strip here is 1/8 mile so no I haven't but i'm moving to Illinois in three weeks so i'm hoping I can find a 1/4 mile strip somewhere around the area of Scott Air Force Base.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Not gonna dyno tune it for another year or so because of the warranty. I figure it's right around 380whp. The only strip here is 1/8 mile so no I haven't but i'm moving to Illinois in three weeks so i'm hoping I can find a 1/4 mile strip somewhere around the area of Scott Air Force Base.
Nice, but I'd think you'd have more than 380rwhp if you walked an IS-F
They have close to that themselves.

Also to the OP, I love comparison threads between cars.
There is no rule that says two cars have to be in the "same category" to compare. I know plenty of people, including myself that "cross shop" various category of cars. I could afford the M3 or GT500, but I'm 99% sure I'll get the 11 GT instead. I've also looked at Audi S4 as well.
The IS-F and 11 GT both have 5.0 liter V8's and aren't too far off in weight so it's fun to compare, even if it's on "paper" in a thread.

I'll surely try to set up a real run with one when I do order my 11 GT.
Thanks for a good thread that gives forum members something to talk about, even if it is just for fun. :thumbs up:
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
This is really a bogus thread. The two cars have nothing in common and are for two different market targets.

The Lexus will cost much more and, for that price, you get a civilized, sophisticated car that is tight, quiet, and quick.

The Mustang is out power, handling, and turning heads -- not much more. Ford has made many strides in the 2010 and 2011 Mustangs, but it was not designed to compete with the Lexus.
Thats your opinion and your entitle to it even though your wrong there is alot that they have in common and i know two people ( one being my father that actually is cross shopping between a used ISF and 2011 5.0) what yo deam as bogus it may be for someone like you but guess what there are many different people in the world with varying opinions not trying to bust ***** just trying to explain. I myself like all types of cars (see sig) and cross shop all the time

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs lexus ISF?