Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:02 AM
catchmecoppers

Default suspension question

should i get the eibach prokit or sportline? soo many decisions... anyone have pics?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Turbo 05

Default RE: hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

its an 04 but might still get the point across
http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...84517900018874
Old 08-08-2005, 07:35 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Pro-kit front
Pro-kit rear
Pro-kit side (this one's a little dim)
Old 08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

links no workie
Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: catchmecoppers

should i get the eibach prokit or sportline? soo many decisions... anyone have pics?

Hey catchme,

Is this for an '05? The Sportlines are VERY LOW and you will need an adjustable panhard bar to get the rear axle back in the center of the car or your car will handle differently turning right vs. left. You will also find you need some sort of sport struts and shocks because the car is going to be bouncing around a lot more and you are bottoming out a LOT. The stiffer valving in sport type struts and dampers will help reducing bottoming out on the back side of speed bumps and help your car stick better in the turns.

I bought Eibach's ProKit springs which are not as low by 0.5" an inch and even here in soCal these are marginal. I've been waiting for months for someone to release a good adjustable sport strut and damper kit. Eibach's struts and dampers are not gas charged and NOT adjustable and they are not going to have any until late September or maybe October. Not being gas charged and not adjustable is IMO a big mistake unless you have valves that are velocity sensitive. In my experience the best struts and dampers for serious handling are the gas charged Koni Sport or Bilstein Sport lines, but these are not coming out until '06 at the earliest per the manufactures. Tokico, with the development help of Steeda has just released the D-Spec line of adjustable struts and dampers for the '05's (I'm getting my set tomorrow!), and these look pretty good with a very wide range of compression and rebound dampening adjustment front and rear. Tokico D-Specs have a good reputation and these look to be more of the same.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-09-2005, 06:03 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

I got the Pro Line and am very happy with the results - I think it looks so much better. Depends on how low you want it though - I had never lowered a car before but I think the back of these Mustangs have way too big of a gap and so I went for the Pro Line. I was told I would need more mods if I went for the Sportslines!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 PM
OhFive GT

Hey Nick,

I noticed you're sitting on 18's with the sport springs. In your opinion does the sport springs leave enough clearance for 19's? I'm seriously wanting 19's and have a good idea that the sport springs will be good, but don't want to leave too much of a gap. Especially if I'm spending the money already on the springs, so if it's possible to use the racing springs with 19's i would go that route even if i do have to get the adjustable panhard and shocks...

Anyone else's take on this is welcome also.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:03 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OhFive GT

Hey Nick,

I noticed you're sitting on 18's with the sport springs. In your opinion does the sport springs leave enough clearance for 19's? I'm seriously wanting 19's and have a good idea that the sport springs will be good, but don't want to leave too much of a gap. Especially if I'm spending the money already on the springs, so if it's possible to use the racing springs with 19's i would go that route even if i do have to get the adjustable panhard and shocks...

Anyone else's take on this is welcome also.

Thanks!
Hey there - The way its been explained to me you would have just as much clearance for 19's as 18's as the diameter of the tire needs to be the same - otherwise it would mess up your mileage counter.........this is why I had to go for 285/40's at the back of the car where as before I had 235/55's - due to the bigger tire I had to go for a lower profile tire........in other words if I had gone for 345's I would have had to go even lower with the profile!

I was told though that if I had bought the Sportsline that I would need to buy a 'something plate' - forget the name of it and I am not overly techincal but this was a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:47 AM
OhFive GT

I'm following you completely. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not close to rubbing with the wheel and tire setup i want. I'm going for the same look as the H & R mustang. They used a 305 wide tire in the rear using 19x11 rims; they also used 19x9.5 wheels in the front with (if memory serves me right) 285 wide tires. They were all 35 tall. either way they did a drop with it using adjustable coil overs and I didn't want to mess with that.. i just want to throw in the springs and whatever else I need and not have to worry about adjustments. The H & R guys used wheel spacers though, don't know if it was for cosmetics or necessary for function or clearance issues. Hopefully someone has heard more about this.....

Alfred