Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Center Console/Transmission Excess Heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Jonjonbear

I discovered mine doing this as well. I replaced the top of the console with a carbon fiber unit and upon installing it I put insulation all under the console top. Made a HUGE difference, the top stays cool to the touch. I used that stuff from home depot that looks like bubble wrap with foil on both sides. Mine's an auto btw.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I believe part of the issue is running with the windows down (even though it shouldn't be). When the windows are down, there is a slight vacuum in the cabin and the air from under the car comes up through the shifter area into the cabin, I don't think it is so much the transmission as the exhaust piping that right down around that area. Other than trying to make sure you have a better seal around the shifter, there's no much you can do.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Kaidis

I've noticed that my aftermarket hurst billet short throw shifter heats up on occasion, but never so hot that i can't hold onto the shifter stick. It seems to really only do it on hot hot days so heat diffusion is a likely culprit throughout the metal, as well as the car is black so of course it's gonna heat up in the sun.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I have used my engine to warm up the interior cabin before. Nice and cold outside, engine was on temperature, I romp on it on the highway and nice warm air comes from the vents. Ahh... bliss.

Now what was that about excess heat? I forgot.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

My hurst billet comp does it as well. No amount of insulation you install on the cabin side of the floorboards will help with that. If you could somehow insulate the shifter from the underside then maybe but even then it is so close to the trans and exhaust I don't think it would matter much. I have installed several layers of this stuff http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSo...FUFyQgod2nMAMg and it cut down the road noise as well as some of the heat but short of wrapping the exhaust and trans I don't think it is going to get any cooler.