Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Center Console/Transmission Excess Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Root66

Notice that the later models have a thick insulation pad that surrounds the lower shift boot, the factory must have noticed the problem a few years later.

If anybody can find a part number list it here, I'd like to get one from the dealer or I might wind up making my own.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
ElDude

Oh I forgot to mention you should try changing your trans fluid. It wont make the heat go away but I noticed a definite reduction in center console heat with new synthetic trans fluid compared to the old syrupy trans fluid it had. And it's not that difficult to do, there's a really good how-to on this forum for it
Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 AM
jiga
2nd Gear Member

My GT is an auto and has the heat around the console as well. I had one buddy with an 89 GT and another with an 01, both had heat from console too.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Eagle0924

I got the same problem in my 1999 v6 automatic. It's been getting worse and has been coming through the center console were the E-brake comes into the cabin, just below the armrest. I also sometimes feel the heat coming from infront of the shifter, just below the radio. Does anyone know if this is normal to be felt in an automatic as well? or should i get it looked at.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burrosito
Hey guys, I've got a 2006 GT, 5-Speed. Just under 52,xxx miles. Stock.

Basically, lately I've noticed that there is excess heat coming from the center console / transmission area. I really noticed it tonight. I had been running errands for a few hours prior. Today was ridiculously hot, and I had been running the car from about 4pm - 9pm running errands, but never going more than 10 miles at a trip. So on my way home around 9pm, I decided to run with the windows down. It was still warm but cooler while driving. That's when I noticed it felt like I had my heater on, though it obviously wasn't.

The center console area had quite a bit of heat coming off it (Around the shifter/parking brake area). I mean, I could still place my hand on the sides of it, but it was definitely warmer than I'd like it to be. I took the boot off the shifter and touched the metal underneath and I could only keep a hand on it for a few seconds it was so hot.

Just wondering if maybe this was usual and I didn't notice it because I usually had the A/C on during the day. Or maybe I've been oblivious to it before and it's always been this warm?

If not, then is it something I should really be concerned about regarding the transmission? Or think a simple tranny fluid swap will fix the heat problem? I bought the car used at 14,xxx miles, so unless the previous owner already did it, as far as I know the fluid is still stock.

I wasn't running it hard at all. I had my sister with me for a while, and then my girlfriend and her mom, so I tend to drive conservatively with passengers.

Anyone?
I think its funny, I have an 06 GT 5 speed with 52k miles as well, and was just thinking about the heat there last night as I was toting 2 Wendys frostys home, thinking we will be drinking them with a straw when I get home.

It is normal, hot pipes are hot!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:37 AM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Mine used to have heat coming up when I had a Steeda shifter but when I installed a MGW, it went away. Be sure to check:

Your rubber boot is in place and not torn.
Add Dynamat to the exposed metal surfaces under the consol (MGW shifter came with)
Add thick insulation over that and around shifter (MGW came with as well)

I'm not plugging the MGW but anyone can easily get some Dynamat or other sound deadeners/insulation.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I have the MGW, installed correctly, and still get the heat
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
inkdemon
1st Gear Member

Had heat with stock as well as the short throw shifter in there now. And everything was buttoned up correctly.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burrosito
Hey guys, I've got a 2006 GT, 5-Speed. Just under 52,xxx miles. Stock.

Basically, lately I've noticed that there is excess heat coming from the center console / transmission area.
Did you resolve this heat issue or find the source of the heat? My 2007 GT500 gets really hot by the floorboard area after even a short drive; it's really annoying. I'm not sure whether it's being radiated through the floorboard from the Cats or if it's radiating from the heater core. I can feel the heater core is hot near the accelerator pedal at all times, even with the heat turned off.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 AM
brandonfoursix

05 gt 5-speed does this too.

Quick Reply: Center Console/Transmission Excess Heat