Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What Does the Mustang Mean to You

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Default What Does the Mustang Mean to You

My first Mustang was a 1965 coupe that had originally belonged to my mother. After I got out of the military and came home she had no problem giving me the car. It had long since been sitting in the carport undriven as she had moved on to other vehicles. I set about the process of restoring it and along the way took the time to learn the history behind this truly iconic American car. What so appealed to me about this car was simply that it was a car for everyone. A Mustang could be an inexpensive fun to drive car for daily drivers or it could be an expensive sports coupe capable of real speed. It was an instant success and in short order it became a car known and sought after by millions of Americans and even a great many people in countries where the car wasn't even available. Most of all, over the years, the car has become a truly iconic piece of Americana like few other cars have. In that rare company are the Camaro, Firebird, Thunderbird and Corvette. But even among these, none has sold as many as the Mustang. I believe it is the sinlge most iconic American car of all time.

This is the car that our fathers and even grandfathers in some cases owned when they were young men. In it they shared some the happiest and most memorable days of their lives, and I think it only fitting that we carry on that tradition and pass it on to our own children. A beautiful fall afternoon in a drop top Mustang with a cold drink and a friend along for a ride is an experience that cannot be matched in any other convertible. That's because you know that you are driving a true piece of American history, even if it's a brand new model. Like a 57 Chevy, this is a car that defines all that is good and right about America and reminds us that we truly live in the greatest country on the planet. From the red white and blue running pony logo to the chrome horse in the grill, the Mustang is to cars what the New York Yankees are to baseball. (No offense to you Red Sox fans, lol)

I never drove my mothers Mustang, the restoration was never finished and I sold the car to a friend of mine years ago. I have no idea where it is now. But when Ford introduced the new S197 Mustang in 2005 I knew instantly what I had to do. I went and put money down on a Sonic Blue GT with a tan leather interior, the closest color choices I could get to that old original 65. It was, in some way, like I had finished what I set out to do and brought Mom's old car home again.

These days I find myself behind the wheel of a performance white 2010 V6 Mustang and I can honestly say that I enjoy the car even more than my previous GT. There were a couple of cars in between there, but I've come home, back to what I am, an American man, in the most American of cars. I carry on that tradition that so many have carried before me and I hope to pass it on. That is what the Mustang means to me. It is the iconic American sports coupe and a car that embodies the greatness of America. As a veteran and a proud American, I drive a Ford Mustang.

What does it mean to you?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

MY family is divided between mustangs and LS cars, until I was 14 It did not mean nothing to me. I was into bad stuff when I was a teenager, there was a classic car dealer by my house and my friends wanted to break in and trash the cars. Well I went with them and they were wrecking all the cars in there (Im talking trashing cuda's, chargers, Chevelle's Galaxies). Well there was this one metallic purple fox body with slicks and skinnies in the corner that they wanted to trash, I seen it and was infatuated with it so I would not let them even get near it. Well they jumped me and went to town on it anyway, I stayed there and told the cops what happened and luckily the owner liked me (southern motor sports in Clarkston , Mi now). He told me he would drop the charges if I worked there to pay for some of the damage, so I did. After two years of working my butt off he gave me a freshly painted fox with some mild mods and told me a I deserved it (Well I traded him my S-10 for it and he gave it back lol), after that I have owned nothing but stangs. Now I have nothing but respect for car owners, its hard work building a car and I learned the hard way, I could have had a messed up history if it wasnt my love for mustangs.

Last edited by Mr Graystang; 07-31-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

To me, it's always meant "Freedom" and an brute source of power.

- American Muscle, all the way.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
My first Mustang was a 1965 coupe that had originally belonged to my mother. After I got out of the military and came home she had no problem giving me the car. It had long since been sitting in the carport undriven as she had moved on to other vehicles. I set about the process of restoring it and along the way took the time to learn the history behind this truly iconic American car. What so appealed to me about this car was simply that it was a car for everyone. A Mustang could be an inexpensive fun to drive car for daily drivers or it could be an expensive sports coupe capable of real speed. It was an instant success and in short order it became a car known and sought after by millions of Americans and even a great many people in countries where the car wasn't even available. Most of all, over the years, the car has become a truly iconic piece of Americana like few other cars have. In that rare company are the Camaro, Firebird, Thunderbird and Corvette. But even among these, none has sold as many as the Mustang. I believe it is the sinlge most iconic American car of all time.

This is the car that our fathers and even grandfathers in some cases owned when they were young men. In it they shared some the happiest and most memorable days of their lives, and I think it only fitting that we carry on that tradition and pass it on to our own children. A beautiful fall afternoon in a drop top Mustang with a cold drink and a friend along for a ride is an experience that cannot be matched in any other convertible. That's because you know that you are driving a true piece of American history, even if it's a brand new model. Like a 57 Chevy, this is a car that defines all that is good and right about America and reminds us that we truly live in the greatest country on the planet. From the red white and blue running pony logo to the chrome horse in the grill, the Mustang is to cars what the New York Yankees are to baseball. (No offense to you Red Sox fans, lol)

I never drove my mothers Mustang, the restoration was never finished and I sold the car to a friend of mine years ago. I have no idea where it is now. But when Ford introduced the new S197 Mustang in 2005 I knew instantly what I had to do. I went and put money down on a Sonic Blue GT with a tan leather interior, the closest color choices I could get to that old original 65. It was, in some way, like I had finished what I set out to do and brought Mom's old car home again.

These days I find myself behind the wheel of a performance white 2010 V6 Mustang and I can honestly say that I enjoy the car even more than my previous GT. There were a couple of cars in between there, but I've come home, back to what I am, an American man, in the most American of cars. I carry on that tradition that so many have carried before me and I hope to pass it on. That is what the Mustang means to me. It is the iconic American sports coupe and a car that embodies the greatness of America. As a veteran and a proud American, I drive a Ford Mustang.

What does it mean to you?
i must say, very well written my friend
Old 07-31-2010, 04:21 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

I agree SkyStang, well written indeed. I was 9 in 64 when the Mustang came out, my first car in 1970 was my sisters old 66. Through the years I've had SS Camaros, Mustangs, Firebird, Cougar and several British sports cars. When the 05 GT came out I had to have one. It's the only new car I've ever bought and it's the best gift I've ever given myself. Mustang to me has always been about freedom, fun and individuality. They are like a blank canvas ready to make your own. The ads used to say something about "Designed to be designed by you." Mustang was my first automotive love even though in reality the early ones weren't that great to drive. Mine was a 6cyl. auto which as we all know was basically a rebodied Falcon. They have definately improved over the years and mine is THE perfect car for me, totally love it and plan to keep it forever. I kinda lost interest in them after 1970 until the SN95's but wasn't moved enough to go in debt for one til the S197. Since then I've developed a new appreciation for all of them, even the most unloved ones, the Mustang II's. Hope they live another 45 years.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Well, let me put it this way....." It's like the very air I breath..." !!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Mike Maples
1st Gear Member

I'm 56 years old and the 05 GT I bought in April is the first Mustang I've owned. I was a driving age teenager in the late 60's and early 70's and all I cared about were small block Chevy's. I had a 67 Camaro, 66 Chevelle SS, 56 2 door, 57 4 door...etc...later in life I was an off-road Ford Truck guy and even later I went over to Dodge trucks.

When I entered my third or fourth childhood and wanted another hot rod I could afford about anything I wanted but the retro look of the 05 and up Mustang was what I decided I liked. And it made the decision easy when you consider that Ford was the only US car maker that didn"t stick its hand out for government money when times got tough!

I am now an official fan.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It's pretty much a life style (for the older crowd at least) because of its Pedigree.
Not that the young folks can't jump in it now...
That sums it up for me.

Because of that, I always laugh at people wanting all sorts of Gizmos in a Mustang.
They don't get the Heritage thing at all.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

It's just the car I chose for this project. That's it.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 07-31-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Very well put Whitehorse. I was 19 when the Mustang came out on that Wednesday in April, and by Saturday afternoon I was driving a light blue ragtop w/dark blue top and interior. (How I got it is a story into itself.) I lived near and airbase, and at that time the airman could only get a pass on the weekend. I couldn't even drive it through town. The airman would surround the car at a stop light, and ask me to pop the hood so they could check out that 289. I wasn't married, so you can about imagine what kind of a "chick magnet" that car was. Between the car and the girls I really thought I had died and went to heaven. That was the funnest car, and the funnest time of my life. (Except for Vietnam) I kept the car about 5 years, and 140,000 miles, and finally had to give it up after the second kids was here. I'll never forget that time in my life, and knew that someway, someday, another ragtop Mustang would be in my life. Last summer I had my mid life crisis, and bought an '09 Mustang v-6 premium with saddle leather tan interior and top. (Old geezers just enjoy cruzin', as much horsepower as the first one, and I've got grand kids already driving and drooling over the car) Best decision I've made in 20 years. Doing a few mods, but mostly just to personalize it. Keep it out of the Illinois snow and salt in the winter, which makes it that much more fun when I get it out again in the spring. I might not be 20 anymore, but I still get a huge grin on my face, every time a back it out of the garage. My wife and I had actually dated for awhile when I had that first one, so she was as excited as I was when I got this one. Old geezers can still be young at heart. love that 'stang......

Quick Reply: What Does the Mustang Mean to You