Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trying to plan ahead: what NOT to buy before going Whipple?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Question Trying to plan ahead: what NOT to buy before going Whipple?

I'm no tech head. Aside from just loving to drive my car I've absorbed about all my automative mechanical information from this and various other S197 forums. That being said I have a long, long list of modifications (show and go) I want to carry out. I'm currently bone stock, manual, 30k miles. The final addition to my list is a supercharger (2-3 years down the road when I put aside enough for it).

I want to know what would be a huge waste to buy prior to the SC? I do want to mod/enjoy my car over the next few years but I don't want to invest $3-4k only to find said parts are not compatible. I want to note I'm not selling this car down the line. This will be my daily driver. I plan on getting a cheap beater for the snow eventually.

So assuming the most popular mods which would you suggest against buying as it is too expensive/will be worthless come SC time? I'm looking into hot rod cams, 4.10s, cai + bama tune, long tube headers, staggered 18s, koni yellows, steeda springs, etc etc.

If there is a thread I missed please direct me to it. I wasn't exactly sure what to search for and just entering 'supercharger' brought me mainly installs and debates over which is the best. I've already decided to focus my efforts on twin screw until persuaded otherwise.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

Skip those mods and put the money towards the supercharger.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

The CAI and tune are the only things I can think of that you can't carry over after the Whipple install. Although, if you are going with Hot Rod cams you will need to have those custom tuned after you install the Whipple so you'd need a flash programmer anyway. So you'd just be wasting the CAI which isn't too bad.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

If you want save money don't do any performance mods until you get a supercharger. The koni yellows and steeda sports are a good idea though, so maybe you should get those.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Wouldn't the headers require a custom tune after the whipple install?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

Does whipple warranty their SC? I think removing the stock exhaust manifold for headers would void it. someone correct me if I am wrong
Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

all those seem fine. Dont get UDP and CMDP. your gonna get those replaced when u do a supercharger. All your other mods will benefit from a super.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by top00cat
Skip those mods and put the money towards the supercharger.
This is my first mustang. I'm trying to spread out my mods a few months apart at the very least so I can enjoy the power/sound gains to the fullest. I figure once I get the SC installed it will be like jumping to the end of the ride not being able to appreciate the real difference between N/A and FI. I do appreciate the suggestion though.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you're 100% sure than you're gonna supercharge, don't do anything to the engine at all, since it will cancel out what you did to it once you install a blower.
Make sure to get a K&N air filter, that's about it.

Put the money in the handling department, better shifter and a one piece drive shaft.
Oh, and a nice set of wheels.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by top00cat
Does whipple warranty their SC? I think removing the stock exhaust manifold for headers would void it. someone correct me if I am wrong
I cannot install headers with an SC? That cannot be right, can it? Or is there a certain order they must be installed?

Quick Reply: Trying to plan ahead: what NOT to buy before going Whipple?