Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need to Hear From N/A GT's with Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Default Need to Hear From N/A GT's with Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers

Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers NSR Cams have been out a few months now. I want to hear from those of you that are N/A that installed them.

Thoughts/opinions/impressions?
How is the drivability?
What kind of gains did you experience?
Did it take a few times to get the tune right?
Did your MPG suffer? (Yea, I know it's a Mustang, but I take long trips from time to time)

I know that there are threads out there on these cams, but I wanted to get an update from those who had installed them on what their thoughts were now.

Thanks,
JD
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers NSR Cams have been out a few months now. I want to hear from those of you that are N/A that installed them.

Thoughts/opinions/impressions?
How is the drivability?
What kind of gains did you experience?
Did it take a few times to get the tune right?
Did your MPG suffer? (Yea, I know it's a Mustang, but I take long trips from time to time)

I know that there are threads out there on these cams, but I wanted to get an update from those who had installed them on what their thoughts were now.

Thanks,
JD
The driveability with my automatic is as if there wasnt new cams in the car. I have no issues with stalling out or bucking.

The gains I have experienced are very nice and im very impressed with them. The car pulls great going into 2nd, 3rd, and fourth. I dont have long tube headers so they are not being used to there full potential. However that may come in the spring.

When brenspeed did the install everything was fine car ran okay. However it seemed as if my throttle response was like stock again. So they sent me a new tune via email and all is good now

My mpg has suffered about 2 in the negative. I was getting 20 with all my mods before the cams now im getting about 18 but im guessing it will go back up with Long tubes. Not really sure why i have lost there but no complaints here b/c it sounds awesome and it pulls harder. However I havent reprogrammed my car with the new rubber so that could be the culprit too.

I have enjoyed my car since getting cams installed. I also had an H pipe with flowmasters installed during cam install. It sounded awesome at idle but lots of trumpeting which is a very loud and annoying sound. However i had Hi Flow cats installed and all is good once again. U can feel the cams once u sit in the cabin of the car. Which was awesome. Best mod I have done other than 410's. New gearing is suggested when getting cams installed. Chandler is very helpful and will steer u in the right direction for any question u have. I believe he also has the new cam in his car so feel free to get info from him as well

Brenspeed is top notch
Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joutcelt
Performance
Airraid CAI, 93 Brenspeed Tune, 410's, Detroit Rocker Cam, Pypes O/R H pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Pypes Hi Flo Cats
Joutcelt - Thanks for your reply! I see that you don't have CMDPs listed on your performance list. Do you still have the factory CMCVs on your intake manifold?

Anybody else?

Last edited by jdmcbride; 08-17-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Joutcelt - Thanks for you reply! I see that you don't have CMDPs listed on your performance list. Do you still have the factory CMCVs on your intake manifold?

Anybody else?
Yes sir they are factory. I have thought about getting them and installing them myself b/c it doesnt look to hard. Maybe in a few months. Im surprised not many people are chiming in on the subject. I know when they first came out this topic was talked about alot. I think 808muscle has them as well as loudnlow. There are few others but i believe a couple of them are over seas with their units. When i was researching and asking questions. There were a few people having the same issue as i had as far as the throttle response. I think everyone that has the DRs are happy with them.

Do you know a good place to pick up some delete plates

thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joutcelt
Do you know a good place to pick up some delete plates

thanks
Well, you can still buy economy plates on eBay for $165 delivered, but you will have to have your tune modified. Brenspeed sells the billet plates for more, but they come with a tune revision as long as they have a tune on file for you.

Did you get a dyno before and after with the DRs?

Thanks,
JD

Last edited by jdmcbride; 08-17-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I have had them for a few months now and you can see my mods below. Driveability is great, no problems and the tune was perfect when I left Brenspeed, but they have written me a new tune to accomodate the 110 mm JLT I added later. I tried the off road H pipe and it was loud and trumpeted bad. I put midpipe resonators in and it still trumpeted too much so I put the stock H back in and all is well, maybe a little too quiet but better than the trumpeting. She pulls hard to redline, with the 410 gears...first don't last long. I get 20-22 mixed driving and as much as 26 on the highway. My on-board computer always give me an average that is less than hand calculated, but I always hand calculate anyway. If you beat on it hard, hard , hard it will drop the mileage. I am glad I did it and I love watching the shaker hood....SHAKE.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
I have had them for a few months now and you can see my mods below. Driveability is great, no problems and the tune was perfect when I left Brenspeed, but they have written me a new tune to accomodate the 110 mm JLT I added later.
Jwharton - Thanks for the reply! Did Brenspeed put it on the dyno? Numbers?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Jwharton - Thanks for the reply! Did Brenspeed put it on the dyno? Numbers?
Before the 110 mm JLT, it was 317 HP, 309 TQ.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I got em too. The initial tune I got from brenspeed was off, they emailed me an updated one and it works perfect. For daily driving the only difference is that I have to let the car warm up for 30 seconds or so before taking off. Once warmed up car runs perfect.

Car feels like it pulls harder but feels like it lacking in the low rpm dept. Could just be me though. The sound is amazing. Lots of complements. Car was loud as sh#t with the longtubes so.....I added flowmasters to eliminate drone, then added pypes m80's as a resonator to eliminate trumpeting. Now my exhaust note is perfect IMO.

These cams will give your car the awesome muscle car hot rod sound. Not sure about my mpg. I never calculate it, just fill up with premium.

If you get cams, you definatly want LT's to maximize potential. This is gonna change you exhaust tone, so be prepared to deal with that. Hope that helps.

Video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtWt2qs5Dk4
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

When I was NA, the delete plates added more initial throttle response then the Vortech believe it or not lol. I'd imagine they would go great with the Detroit Rocker cams. They also help the supercharger breath better.

Quick Reply: Need to Hear From N/A GT's with Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers