Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My lastest problem. And SPEC clutch/slave cylinder questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Exclamation My lastest problem. And SPEC clutch/slave cylinder questions.

For those who have been keeping up with my latest problem...
Took it into the shop this morning for the honking sound I am getting from 1st gear take offs and from second gear downshift at 30mph or up.

They have not looked at it yet but the guy I know at the front desk gave a guess of the slave cylinder.
Well, again for those that have followed my adventures this summer.... I had my tranny replaced and a new clutch and flywheel put in.

I am no mechanic but I thought the slave cylinder was PART of the tranny so I figured if I got a new one I would have a new slave cylinder.
Am I right or wrong?

Another question.
Are they going to have to take the tranny apart to get to the slave cylinder? I guess if it was part of it they would..

I have a warranty on the new tranny. They told me if any work had to be done on it... including taking it apart that THEY would cover even labor costs.

The clutch and flywheel are from SPEC. SPEC2+ to be exact.
I don't have a warranty from ford on the clutch of course but they DID do the install. I went on the net and heard many things that could cause the clutch to make this sound... from the slave cylinder to grease on the input shaft.. to a bad clutch plate or bad disk

As of right now I am just waiting. And hoping.
I am pretty much bleed out of money.

I put 250 bucs towards a new short shifter before this problem came up but I have no where near what it would cost for them to do major work like I had this summer.
I waiting and worrying as of now.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I talked to SPEC on the phone to.
Guy said it sounded like I had some glaze or something on the surface.
He said since the clutch and flywheel were new and that the break in mi. was done that I needed to be more aggressive with the clutch and it should get rid of most the sound.

Dunno if he was giving me a line or not.
I asked him why it was just now doing this as the break in mi. were up and he said maybe I was just not letting the car get heated up enough or something.
I couldn't even tell what he was saying with that part of the explanation.

He said that the noise might not ever go COMPLETELY away but that this was not a stock clutch and they act differently including sometimes sounding different.
But he said if I was aggressive on the clutch for a while he thought it would help tremendously.

But I do have the car in the shop right now. I want to have it checked out no matter what the guy at SPEC said. Just in case.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

SPEC could be right. Usually you scuff up the clutch disc to help it burn in quicker and grab more. Any time there is slip you'll get a sound.

The tranny does have to come out to get to the slave cylinder, but it doesn't have to come apart. It sits in the bell housing, and is what pushes up again the pressure plate to engage the disc to the flywheel. I probably would have replaced it if I were them, as its a relatively low cost when looking at everything else that was bought. But perhaps they felt it was still good.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

My spec 3+ will make an odd noise from time to time when I am starting off in 1st gear during normal street driving. I don't know if I could call the sound a honk, but it's definitely an odd sound.

As for the slave cylinder, the trans needs to be taken out of the car but not disassembled. The slave is mounted inside the bell housing of the transmission and sits between the trans and the pressure plate of the clutch to release the clutch when you press the clutch pedal down.

My Spec 3+ took nearly 1000 miles of driving to fully break in.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by dysan
My spec 3+ will make an odd noise from time to time when I am starting off in 1st gear during normal street driving. I don't know if I could call the sound a honk, but it's definitely an odd sound.

As for the slave cylinder, the trans needs to be taken out of the car but not disassembled. The slave is mounted inside the bell housing of the transmission and sits between the trans and the pressure plate of the clutch to release the clutch when you press the clutch pedal down.

My Spec 3+ took nearly 1000 miles of driving to fully break in.

Did your break in consist of odd noises?
Just wondering if this is normal stuff and will go away or if
I am looking at having something fixed.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

The only thing that happened during break-in was chattering and it did make the odd noise it still does 9k miles later.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I hope I don't comeback later and say I told you so. Spec 2+ = dog turd.

My prediction: shop can't fix the problem because the problem is the clutch is piece of crap. Spec will tell you broke it in wrong, installed it wrong, ordered the wrong part, raced it, blah blah blah. Bottom line is Spec 2+ sucks.

I'm sure there is someone out there who has had a successful Spec 2+ install, but I have never heard of it.

I hope everything works out better than I think, but I am not optimistic.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Simon1
I hope I don't comeback later and say I told you so. Spec 2+ = dog turd.

My prediction: shop can't fix the problem because the problem is the clutch is piece of crap. Spec will tell you broke it in wrong, installed it wrong, ordered the wrong part, raced it, blah blah blah. Bottom line is Spec 2+ sucks.

I'm sure there is someone out there who has had a successful Spec 2+ install, but I have never heard of it.

I hope everything works out better than I think, but I am not optimistic.

If the shop can't fix the problem then there has to be something within the clutch that will SHOW what the problem is correct?
I mean if the shop looks for a problem wont they find it?
Even if they CANT correct it?
That way I can at least go to SPEC and tell them what was wrong?
Or am I looking at some ghost sound that no one will know what it is ever?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

BTW besides the sound I do like the way the clutch feels so far. But the sound needs to go.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Dealership said they did not know what the noise was.
They listened to it but with it being there since yesterday they
did not open her up to look.

They said that it COULD be glaze like SPEC said and to be more aggressive with it and see if that helped. If I launch from 3kRPM or up it really makes the sound.

I have no clue what to do now.

Quick Reply: My lastest problem. And SPEC clutch/slave cylinder questions.