Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aftermarket Clutch and Stock Flywheel. Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Aftermarket Clutch and Stock Flywheel. Dangerous?

Have you heard of stock flywheels shattering when used with an aftermarket clutch?

I heard some things about this and called Exedy.
They told me no if you just daily drove it but that stock flywheels are'nt made for aftermarket clutches when it comes to racing and that if you race your car you can shatter it under high RPMs if you use an aftermarket clutch.

So what about the person who races their car once a month or something on a road race like me?

Someone that does not track the car?

Don't get me wrong... sometimes I do get on the car. When I have fun I get her to about 6.3k RPMs.
There's no way I can really measure how many times in a month I decide just to take my car to high RPM's though when I am just alone to feel my car run and enjoy it.
Maybe I go a month without it... maybe I go a week and do it 5 times

I was really worrying and did not want to use the lightweight STEEL flywheel that Exedy offered because it was as light as aluminum.
It is the ONLY one they offer with the Exedy Mach 400 Clutch I ordered though.

They told me not to use other companies flywheels other than stock because the dimensions are often different and cause chatter,noise, and fitment issues.

So the choice is stock flywheel or aluminum feel with a daily driver.

Is it a BAD idea to use a stock flywheel with an aftermarket clutch if you do ANYTHING but daily drive?
Are you going to shatter your flywheel?

But on the other side...I heard an aluminum flywheel is harder on the engine for
everyday driving if a person relies on the engine to slow down (I.E.) coasting...
rather than using the break because of the flywheel moving faster because of it's light weight.
I have heard this can lead to a much shorter engine life if you do not use the break to slow down
instead of letting the car slow down on it's own.
I actually prefer to coast rather than just BREAK.
If anything out of traffic safety.
Truth to this part of the thread?

Anyways...
Aftermarket clutches and Stock flywheels
for us that do more than just daily drive....
Opinions, experiences?

And... if you had to make my choice between the stock flywheel risk of shatter, or the everyday wear
on the engine of the light weight flywheel.. which would it be and why?

BTW I am running 312RWHP 308 trq will see 400 max maybe never though.
(clutch is Exedy Mach 400)

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-15-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wow this sparks no debate or interest at ALL?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I think you are worrying too much.

Get the lightest flywheel you can. I don't buy into the heavy steel flywheel being better. I have had both and really can't tell a difference.

Use your brakes to slow the car. If you are concerned about transmission wear and clutch life, use the brakes.

I have never seen a flywheel shattering on an S197 under any situation. Yes it's possible, but neither you, nor anyone I can think of on this forum is near that point. Everyone who gets to that point where their car ismaking big power has already replaced their flywheels with SFI approved hardware.

As for your choice on clutches, I would get as much clutch as possible. As for the clutch being too much for the transmission and causing damage, I could see that on an unsprung twin disc making more power than my car and racing it all the time. But for you, you aren't going to put anymore stress on the tranny than what your motor can make. Get what will last you through any future power gains.

Satisfaction of purchase will last long after price is forgotten.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Do you daily drive yours?

I have just heard of so many people that say light weights are SO bad for
daily driving.

Also as far as the light weight flywheel and needing to use brakes to slow down instead of coasting, I heard it was engine life and not tranny that was affected.
I thought that might also make daily driving kind of hard... im not one of those to drive until I get right up on someone then brake hehe.

I was also wondering about how hard going from a start would be since I already have cams and that makes it a little more difficult than it used to be to go from a start without just giving gas and it moving forward too quick.
I was worried the light flywheel would increase this.

I was also thinking at my power a light weight flywheel would take away that initial seat of the pants put you in your seat feel that my 4.10's have given me that I installed not too long ago. I REALLY don't wanna loose that.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Do you daily drive yours?

I have just heard of so many people that say light weights are SO bad for
daily driving.

Also as far as the light weight flywheel and needing to use brakes to slow down instead of coasting, I heard it was engine life and not tranny that was affected.
I thought that might also make daily driving kind of hard... im not one of those to drive until I get right up on someone then brake hehe.

I was also wondering about how hard going from a start would be since I already have cams and that makes it a little more difficult than it used to be to go from a start without just giving gas and it moving forward too quick.
I was worried the light flywheel would increase this.

I was also thinking at my power a light weight flywheel would take away that initial seat of the pants put you in your seat feel that my 4.10's have given me that I installed not too long ago. I REALLY don't wanna loose that.
I drive my car to work everyday when it's:

1. Sunny and dry.
2. Clean and shiney.
3. I don't need my truck.
4. It has plenty of gas.
5. Or if I have to leave it at work overnight, I take my truck. The car is always garaged or covered at night.

I love your enthusiasm but it seems your fears are based on alot of myths. I'm glad you ask questions, I'm not an expert, but I hope I can help.

Using anything besides the brakes to slow your car down will cause wea0 on the parts used. More so on your clutch and tranny but on everything that is involved in the process, i.e., rear tires, clutch parts, tranny, differential, motor, shifter and on and on. Use your brakes. There are times that I will use my motor, but it's rare and usually in assitance to the brakes to assist in a high speed stop.

Aluminum Flywheels take less energy to spin and keep spinning, but store less energy because of the lighter weight. It will let your car rev faster and take less energy to keep going. Those are the pros. The cons, not really a whole bunch. The steel will probably last longer, but the aluminum willprobably last longer than you own your car. The heavy flywheel stores energy at the line and "people say" that they can get a better launch. It makes sense, just haven't seen it happen.

If you are having a hard time starting your car from a stop, you should have your car retuned. That's retarded. Find a new tuner.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yeah I know I ask alot of questions.
I just want to make sure I am covering all of my ends.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-16-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
race77

Jesus dude, how many times are you going to ask the same friggin questions on every mustang forum known to man?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Yeah I know I ask alot of questions.
I just want to make sure I am covering all of my ends.
That's what were are here for. Try using the search feature a little bit and other forums too. If you can't find your answer, post it. Doesn't cost nothing.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

I think they're reffering to using a copper puck type racing clutch that doesnt have any give that may shatter a flywheel. I could see that happening, but i wouldnt know anyone using a clutch like that in a street/track type car...