Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Adaptive Learning

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 AM
boss hoss
2nd Gear Member

Default Adaptive Learning

Hey Everyone!! Just wanted to get peoples opinions or facts about the matter.. Do you think it's a good or bad idea to turn off the adaptive learning on the computer? I have a tune/file for both on and off. Trying to figure out if it may cause a future problem with engine mapping or management... Any input is greatly appreciated... Peace
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Performance wise, it's better to turn it off. But I'd experiment by leaving it on and reloading the tune, then see how the car feels for about 400-500 miles. Then turn it off and repeat everything else. You might see a drop in economy by leaving it off but who the hell cares about economy? It's a Stang.

I didn't buy my Stang for economy; I bought it for the wood I get from driving it.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Grinder88
2nd Gear Member

^ I got, In the words of Borat a P--sy Magnet installed i did't know they came with wood magnets also

Oh and ya turn that adaptive learning off if you wanna have fun
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM
DrDeaths01GT
2nd Gear Member

ok not meaning to sound like a total tool,yeah right, just what is adaptive learning? I am by no means a car whiz so dont flame me too much please!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Depends on what you mean by Adaptive Learning? Could you elaborate more on this? I did not know you could get tune files with it on or off.
There are several things in the tune that could be considered Adaptive Learning.
One is, if you have an automatic, there is an Adaptive Learning feature to it, that "learns" your driving habits, and adjusts shifting patterns accordingly. I assume that if you drive the car like a pansey for a while, then the shifts would start to come lower in the RPM band, etc and it would learn to shift less aggresively. <<<This you might want disabled.
Other things in the cars computer learn and adapt to various conditions, such as the air/fuel ratio, timing advance, etc. Those things adjust according to all kinds of sensor readings such as engine temp, air intake temp, throttle position, readings from the oxygen sensors, etc etc. Example: as you drive the car, readings from the o2 sensors are constantly monitored by the PCM, and the allow the computer to calculate the air/fuel ratio at any given millisecond. The computer then constantly adjusts the fuel supplied to the engine by adjusting the fuel injector flow rate, and tries to maintain a fuel ratio of about 14.7:1 which is the stoichiometric ratio, and considered optimal for best efficiency. This is under light throttle and part-throttle conditions, and this type of Adaptive Learning you DO NOT want disabled, because if it was, your engine could run too lean and cause detonation and subsequent major engine damage.
At wide open throttle (WOT) the cars' narrow-band o2 sensors are very innacurate, and so the air/fuel is not learned at WOT. Instead, the computer takes what ratio it senses at part throttle, and if it is a little lean, it adds extra fuel when you go to full throttle. That could make you car run rich, and I think some tuners disable that. But not sure about that, though.
There is lots more to it than this, but just to give you an idea. Maybe someone from AM or one of the other tuners can chime in here, as I don't know what kind of Adaptive Learning might be disabled in a custom tune...
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 PM
boss hoss
2nd Gear Member

@ SilverHoss.. Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated. I really dont know to much about this stuff. I have an manual and after driving on the tune/file for a few days the car seems dead untill 3500-3700rpms. It sounds like its moving, but thats about it. Then all of a sudden it kicks in and starts pulling. I took it back to the shop and they said pretty much what you are saying, it started dumping fuel for some reason. So, the guy from superchips(he use to work for SCT, i live down the block from them) came and said he "turned off" the adaptive learning feature? I just posted my dyno sheet..under VMP Tuning? I am just confused about this whole situation. Wondering if a diff file could solve my issues. I have 2 files in my XC2, both are 93oct tunes, and one has adaptive learning off. Both seem to do the same thing in around a weeks time. I drive both casual, and aggressive occasionally...I am LOST!!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM
boss hoss
2nd Gear Member

@ DrDeaths01GT... No flaming here.. I know little and always want to learn more about my car. This is my 3rd Mustang GT(1st-03,GT, 2nd-07'GT,3rd-10'GT) and I still feel like a newbie and just want to learn more. There is so much to learn and a new situation always arises. These forums are a great way to expand on some knowledge about our passion, and there are many people on here who are very knowledgable, informative and super cool in helping get answers to resolve issues or atleast point you in the right direction... So Cheers, I raise this Heineken Light to getting our learn on, cause just when we might have a clue, there seems to always be another question looming on the horizon! peace...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

ok Boss Hoss, it sounds like there is an issue with the tunes you have. Did you say where you got the tune from? Some tuners are def/ better that others. I used to have a 93 tune from Bamachips that had an issue like what you got. And, while Doug @ Bamachips was great at working with me on fixing the tune, it took some doing to get it right. I have tried tunes from Bamachips, VMP, BBR, Brenspeed and Amercan Muscle.com, and the tunes my car likes best came from Brenspeed and AM . I keep the Brenspeed 93 tune Brenspeed 87 tune, and AM 93 "race" tune loaded in my SCT2 as they are my favorites. Just got the 93 race from AM last week, and it is awesome ! I suggest going to one of those guys and by you a new tune or two to try...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I wrote a big ol' paragraph and was about to post, but then decided to go find the info that had already posted. Enjoy... (ski's post, #9, has the goods)
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-learning.html
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 AM
boss hoss
2nd Gear Member

awesome!! thanks for the help.. I am gonna try a dew diff
tunes through out the next few months.. I will post what happens with them.. Thanks again!!