Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N AIR INTAKE DYNO TESTED - TUNES NOW SHIPPING

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:31 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Default K&N AIR INTAKE DYNO TESTED - TUNES NOW SHIPPING

Last week I spent some time with the K&N air intake on the dyno. The results were about what I expected from this unit. The conditions were hot and humid which are typical of Indiana in August (85 to 90 degrees and 55%+ humidity). The K&N did not achieve the gains found claimed by K&N but K&N tested in about 25 degrees colder air and for some odd reason using 3rd gear pulls on the dyno. This is not standard practice as most tuners pull in 4th gear on a 5 speed mustang. We pulled in 4th gear so we could report the data as 99.9% of tuners in the industry are reporting this type of information.

The air intake system functionally does everything intended. I don’t feel it is as well made as the C&L but it does do the job and cost less so for the price I would have to give it a thumbs up.

The GT in test was your basic 05 Mustang with pulleys, axleback, but did also have our Spec flywheel and clutch.

Once the K&N was added in place of the stock air box...
Horsepower Gain 10.9 RWHP AT 6100 RPMS
TORQUE GAIN 6.02 AT 4300 RPM

I then spent some time developing a custom tune for the K&N that did not require you to use the carbon trap. The gains were impressive considering the humid environment we were working in.

Total Gain with our X-calibrator tune with K&N over the stock air box
Horsepower Gain 21.36 RWHP AT 6100 RPMS
TORQUE GAIN 8.22 AT 4400 RPMS
Additional power is available... see below

The gains above were found using what I call a super safe mail order style tune on premium fuel. I could bump the gains up another 4 HP and 2 Torque for more of a premium fuel weekend warrior type tune.

With our tune and K&N you are going to experience a huge power change in the car. It will be more responsive throughout the entire power band like our C&L programs you hear everybody on here talking about.

In short I would have to say this combo is worth the money. If you have the extra cash I still suggest our C&L combo as its quality is a bit better and in my opinion it looks better also. If you like the look of the K&N you will love this power package.

If you have any questions about the K&N and our X-cal units please give us a call or e-mail.

sales@brenspeed.com or 574.845.7455

The K&N SCT packages are going to start at $549 with an X-calibrator 1 or $599 with an X-calibrator 2. Both packages have free shipping and the X-cal 2 comes with a free USB cable. As always we will test the parts we sell. This will give us the technical knowledge to help you through your install and unlike 99% of the companies in the industry we understand, use, and tune what we are selling.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: K&N AIR INTAKE DYNO TESTED - TUNES NOW SHIPPING

Since I haven't used one yet.. I'm still "Stupid".

WHAT is the difference between the XCal 1 and the XCal 2?

Besides 50 bucks!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

Since I haven't used one yet.. I'm still "Stupid".

WHAT is the difference between the XCal 1 and the XCal 2?

Besides 50 bucks!

There is no difference in power. The X-cal 1 flashes the computer and that is it.

The X-cal 2 will data log and read trouble codes. The X-cal 2 will also allow you to adjust things like idle, timing, air fuel, gear ratio yourself if you request this feature.

If you are the type of person that just wants to load the program and that is it save the $50. If you like having extras the $50 is WAY worth it.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

THANKS Brent...

I wish more people were "STright Up" with their answers like that!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I'm still saving for the c%l air induction kit. Thanks for the information I appreciate that. Wish I could visit your shop but darn your in Indiana. So I will be going to Haywood Custom Speed in the next few months. It's in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I'm still saving for the c%l air induction kit. Thanks for the information I appreciate that. Wish I could visit your shop but darn your in Indiana. So I will be going to Haywood Custom Speed in the next few months. It's in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Are you paying to have that installed? If you are consider doing it yourself. It is VERY easy and requires little mechanical knowledge.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 AM
welshstar
1st Gear Member

Hi

This might be stupid question but im going ask anyway

Would there be any benefit to just doing a tune without the CAI ?

My GT is only returning about 15-16 MPG and im thinking a tune might be in order

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Steve
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Just a tune alone can increase HP, TQ and MPG. Add some "Go-Fast" parts and get even more.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:54 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

mine is on it's way, i'll let you all know how it works out!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: welshstar

Hi

This might be stupid question but im going ask anyway

Would there be any benefit to just doing a tune without the CAI ?

My GT is only returning about 15-16 MPG and im thinking a tune might be in order

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Steve
No such thing as a stupid question. Yes a tuner alone makes the 05 a new car. Not only because of the power gain but your throttle response is way better. Combined with an air intake it is a great package but I do have a lot of customers that went with just an X-calibrator 1 or 2. Normally in those situations I will set them up for the stock air box and then if they buy an air intake down the road they get free programming. I have also had customers request just a programmer but they wanted at least 1 tune included for the air intake that they may or may not purchase in the future and that is no problem also.

Quick Reply: K&N AIR INTAKE DYNO TESTED - TUNES NOW SHIPPING