Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Differences between 2010 & 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Arrow Differences between 2010 & 2011 GT

I know the motors and trannys are different but what other differences are there?

What if anything is different with the:

Suspension?

Interior?

Exterior?

Electronics?

TIA
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

There doesn't appear to be any cosmetic changes other than the 5.0 emblem.

I wish Ford would have redesigned the rear bumper and tail lights (wishful thinking I know). If they had, I might have had a new 5.0 in my garage now!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Outside, the GT Emblem is replaced with a 5.0 emblem. The rear valance is also changed. Other than that it's the same.

The suspension has also been retuned with different spring rates and shocks/struts I believe, as well as stiffer LCA's (I think I remember hearing that somewhere, and it makes sense since it supposedly doesn't have nearly the amount of wheelhop as with the 05-10 GTs).
Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM
KennyPowers

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
I know the motors and trannys are different but what other differences are there?

What if anything is different with the:

Suspension?

Interior?

Exterior?

Electronics?

TIA
One of the previous posts mentioned the technical details that were changed.

I do NOT own either of these cars, but test drove both back to back with manual transmissions a few days ago.

Biggest differences were

-Super overboosted electric steering in 5.0 (made me lean towards 4.6)
-Transmission, shorter gearing in 6 speed, but gearbox not as solid
-4.6 felt a little lighter and easier to handle
-5.0 and 4.6 felt similar till 4k RPM when the 5.0 takes OFF. Both are fast, but the 5.0 is the fastest car ive ever driven.
-4.6 was louder than the 5.0 and sounds better

Thats imo. For me, I am considering a 4.6 with gears and a tune with some much needed (imo) basic suspesion mods.

Both are great cars, and definitely refined enough to compete with the base euro cars and higher end imports. Main difference is the stangs are faster and way more fun to drive!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:32 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
There doesn't appear to be any cosmetic changes other than the 5.0 emblem.

I wish Ford would have redesigned the rear bumper and tail lights (wishful thinking I know). If they had, I might have had a new 5.0 in my garage now!
I never thought I would say this... believe me.. but the rear of the car grows on you.. especially when you smoke the headlights. Standing directly behind the car the rear actually looks OK (as long as you dont mind the plastic).. looking at it from a slight angle.. not so good. The rear looks better with darker colors.. with black looking the best (as always).
Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Spd2Stang

Originally Posted by KennyPowers
One of the previous posts mentioned the technical details that were changed.

I do NOT own either of these cars, but test drove both back to back with manual transmissions a few days ago.

Biggest differences were

-Super overboosted electric steering in 5.0 (made me lean towards 4.6)
-Transmission, shorter gearing in 6 speed, but gearbox not as solid
-4.6 felt a little lighter and easier to handle
-5.0 and 4.6 felt similar till 4k RPM when the 5.0 takes OFF. Both are fast, but the 5.0 is the fastest car ive ever driven.
-4.6 was louder than the 5.0 and sounds better

Thats imo. For me, I am considering a 4.6 with gears and a tune with some much needed (imo) basic suspesion mods.

Both are great cars, and definitely refined enough to compete with the base euro cars and higher end imports. Main difference is the stangs are faster and way more fun to drive!
Super overboosted steering lol
i love the steering in the new 5.0 w/ EPAS
Coming from a lighter turbo 4 i can tell you that id rather have a heavier car with light easy steering than a lighter car with so so tougher steering( i feel more planted to the ground w/ the 5.0)
Also the exhaust note of the 4.6 should not be a deciding factor because with the right exhaust any car can be loud.
Try driving a turbo Mazda 6spd around and tell me what you think of the gearbox? lol not fun very touchy

To OP:
not much difference between the two other than whats been listed so far, it really comes down to what works for you.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KennyPowers
I don't know if the 5.0's I've test driven are the fastest cars I've ever driven but it's close. It will certainly be the quickest car I've ever owned.

So not much differences besides the drive train and retuned suspension. Was the Brembo package available on the 10? I've read there was a track package on the 10 but did that include Brembo brakes? Seems like the Brembo package is a great deal and I really like the wheels. I have not driven a Brembo equipped car yet but hope to do so before I order mine in a few months.

Last edited by 5 Dot 0; 10-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I never thought I would say this... believe me.. but the rear of the car grows on you.. especially when you smoke the headlights. Standing directly behind the car the rear actually looks OK (as long as you dont mind the plastic).. looking at it from a slight angle.. not so good. The rear looks better with darker colors.. with black looking the best (as always).
I honestly thought that the rear would grow on me. But it hasn't. I like just about all of the styling changes, but the rear is a dealbreaker for me. I guess I am waiting for the 2014 redesign now.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spd2Stang
To OP:
not much difference between the two other than whats been listed so far, it really comes down to what works for you.
Thanks. Oh I'm getting a new 11 there's no doubt about that. I'm just curious what other differences there is between the two. I was originally thinking of getting a Roush Stage 2 but I like what some other members are doing with the CS front spoiler, Roush grill, and GT500 rear valance and spoiler. I'll add upgraded suspension and lower it. The rear looks just fine to me although I originally didn't like it. I'll get one loaded up with the Brembo package and NAV but no glass roof or 1000 Shaker stereo. Still deciding between kona blue and stealth gray but I'm leaning towards the blue.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

speedo goes to 160 and redline is now 7000

Quick Reply: Differences between 2010 & 2011 GT