Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Tires - Advise Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default New Tires - Advise Needed

Well I soon will have gone through the stock 2010 GT pirelli tires... I have the 19" premium rims. Even though these tires had good grip they seemed to burn quickly. I did a 3000 mile road trip and most of my driving is highway. I never have been impressed with the durability of pirelli tires though. I was looking at a couple yokohama's and I didn't know if anyone had suggestions.

The one catch I need good all season tires. I didn't need anything amazing in rain/snow, but do realize this is my DD and I do not have the money to buy a new set of rims right now. So I need a good all around tire. I live in MD so on the most part it gets decently cold and when it snows I work from home.

Thank you in advanced.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are so many choices it's not funny. It sounds like you don't need a performance tire and if you REALLY want an all seson worth a darn, the farther from a performanc tire the more likely it'll be barely worth a darn in snow (90% of all season tires absolutely suck in snow). I recommend that you check the ratings on sites such as tirerack.com and others. The info on tirerack is from the users. I put Yokahama's (can't recall the models but there are bad Yokahamas and good ones) on the g/f's previous Malibu and her son's Civic and they did quite well in Chicago snow.

BTW, how many miles on those stock tires? I find it hard to believe that they're already shot. My g/f has 19,000 miles on the stock Perilli's on her Stang and they're in very good shape tread-wise.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm shocked you ran through you're stock tires already too.

Anyways, all I've had are the stock 2006 Pirelli's and Nitto 555's. Hopefully picking up a set of winter tires tomorrow. Tirerack and discount tire were the two first sites I checked. I sorted by tire size and then by user ratings and read through them.

Haven't tried AS tires on the stang, so can't help you much there for a referral. At one point I did consider getting those over a summer/winter set.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I got 26k almost 27k on my mustang. Tires are getting closer to the wear bar... I would expect maybe 5k at most more. However, I am noticing increased road noise and tread in dry and wet is going down hill.

I do know that all season are called no season tires... Like I said I'm not expecting awesome results in the snow from this car, I never did.

I was looking at the Yokohama Avid Envigor (W) and Yokohama AdvanS.4. Both are W rated tires.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

When I was looking into this myself, I was from NY and currently live in IL so I need to deal with cold and snow at least to some extent. I found that the continental DWS tires have pretty good performance in each season, even in snow (obviously not perfect but rated pretty highly)
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ignore the manufacturer's ratings. Take more stock in the USERS ratings.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Ignore the manufacturer's ratings. Take more stock in the USERS ratings.
Of course, that's what I'm going by when I make my judgement. Assuming you made your comment pointed towards me hah
Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

I know alot of people don't like them because they are a little noisey but when mine need replacing I'm considering run flat tires. I had two corvettes and they wore and handled fine, my exhaust took care of the tire noise and I did get flats but what a pleasure to just keep driving
Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

i burned through my rear tires after 12k miles lol. check out the michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires. they have great reviews. and supposedly LONG life. i definitely plan on getting them.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Seriously, get dedicated winter tires and then a performance tire for summer. All season tires will not cut it in a wintery climate on these cars.

Quick Reply: New Tires - Advise Needed