Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can't pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Elanor05
1st Gear Member

Default Can't pass inspection

I have an 05 Mustang GT and I had a P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) code. I deleted it with my SCT tuner and put on 10miles after that. I went down to the place to get my state inspection done and they ran my car for the inspection and got the P0430 & P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System code, so I failed inspection. Is it true that I can drive the car about 100 miles after I delete the code in my SCT Tuner. I heard that there is computer monitors in the car that the state knows the check engine light was recently on so they told me to drive the car 100 miles in stop and go traffic or do a steady 55mph on the highway.
Also my other option in the future is I want to go with O/R hpipes instead of the Catted H pipes I have now. If I go with the O/R h pipes would I still get this P0430 code. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Don't know the answer man but I can you that your car isn't polluting anymore than any other car, airplane, oh ship. Ozone Layer is all bull****.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:03 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

After the engine light is turned off then you need to drive around 30-50 miles in various peed ranges from local to highway to "ready" the monitors.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I would suggest disconnecting the battery for 20-30 minutes BEFORE putting that mileage on (if you have the time). I'm not exactly sure if just using the SCT to remove the code is thorough enough (although it very well could be). Disconnecting the battery will definitely clear everything, but you will still need to do that driving afterward.

It depends on where you live, but it sounds like you're not going to be able to do those exhaust changes legally. If you go with an OR setup, the tuners can turn off the rear O2 sensors so the codes will not come on, but I believe you would not be able to pass a visual inspection. Again, it all depends on where you live, and how thorough/picky your inspection guys are.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
Don't know the answer man but I can you that your car isn't polluting anymore than any other car, airplane, oh ship. Ozone Layer is all bull****.
Yeah, those damn hippies make a big deal about losing ozone. Apparently, cars and trucks make a S*** load of ground level ozone!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Elanor05
1st Gear Member

Do they make MIL eliminators for the s197 GT's? I keep getting the P0430 code once in a while do you think if I go with the O/R h pipe and Mil elminators would that help me next year for my inspection?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I believe they do. I think I saw a set for 4.6L engines in S197s in http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Yes, you have to drive it for a while. The exact mileage varies depending on what conditions the computer senses. There is a long checklist of situations it needs info on before passing the whole system. If you have the codes now, chances are you will get a light again before the system passes. You need to fix the problem, not try to hide it. They way they can tell you have turned the light off is that they will receive a message saying something to the effect of "readiness codes not present" or something. I don't remember the exact wording. Basically, it means the emission system has not completed a full scan yet.
As far as fixing the problem, you might have a tune issue, or a bad vacuum hose. I've heard of really good tuners being able to tune around the absence of O2 sensors and let you pass. I don't know about NY, but in MO even if my check engine light is on, I will fail because my Brenspeed tune has my rear O2 sensors turned off. Luckily I drive under 6k miles per year, so I can file an exemption from emission testing.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 AM
wilmax17

I don't know what state you're from but I went through the same exact issue in Delaware last summer. If you clear the code and drive your car, it won't pass until the computer resets, at which point the check-engine light will reappear with the same code. Running the car with rear O2 sensors turned off won't work either (at least in Delaware, yes EVERYTHING sucks about the state...). However, if you car was manufactured in or before march of '05 (check the door insert) then MIL eliminators from '04 mustangs will work. If your car was manufactured after march of '05, don't waste your time with MIL eliminators as they won't work. I have yet to figure out what they changed after march of '05 to make them incompatible, but they definitely did, and it sucks. I almost considered switching back to stock cats and exhaust to pass, but luckily my car was manufactured IN march of '05. If yours is later, switching back to stock cats/exhaust might be your only option. Email me at brendan.m.matthews@vanderbilt.edu if you need more info, but this is the only solution that worked for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 AM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

NY has a visual. Put the cats back on for the test

Quick Reply: Can't pass inspection