Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

surging after custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Check all the connections like stated on the CAI for air leaks.
Then try to get your tune adjusted and while you are at it tell them about
the gear ratio. If you do not have stock tires you will need to tell them
what size tires you are running too in order to get your MPH correct.

I am having a hunting idle right now too.
I had it when I first had my Hot Rod cams installed with A CUSTOM DYNO TUNE.
They adjusted it and it went away.

Then a while back ago I had a new clutch and a light weight flywheel put in.
After that the hunting idle came back.

Either I have a dirty TB and unplugging the battery during the install made it come back,
or the light weight flywheel is causing a different reading on engine load and the
computer is having trouble compensating for it for a sec during idle.
Mine hunts about 2-3 times during idle then settles to the correct RPM.

If cleaning my TB does not work I am taking my car back to the tuner
right after Christmas and they said they would adjust it again.

I made a thread about the possibility of the flywheel casing mine to come back
but unfortunately NO ONE on the forum has replied to it.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem when I installed upgraded Bamachips tunes on my car. Both the "street", and "race" tunes ran flawlessly, but every time I loaded the "performance" tune, it would surge at idle from 400rpm up to 1100rpm and then back down, over and over. Never drove with it on.

I never bothered to check vacuums, throttle bodies or anything cause it was just THAT tune.

Try a different tune, if you have any, to see if the problem still happens.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

I just ordered Bama tunes/tuner.... I was planning on using the performance tune too, seems like that's the one everyone is having problems with.... great.....
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Call Bama as they have been having problems with there tunes and surging. I know their is a way to reset your idle and Chris Rose can tell you how but i know they reworked their tunes because of this. Just make sure you either e mail or call them or pm Chris Rose about it. This thread is about the same problem but with the 2011.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ging-idle.html
It sounds like that problem was resolved for the 11.
What about the 05-09?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Man my tune is completely messed up for my '11. Mine's a Brenspeed tune, car is totally stock, automatic. I tried reading up on the rough idle correction methods online but it didn't help at all.

My car stalled out 6 times over the 5 mile journey I made and a seemingly uncountable number of near stalls where it would idle at 300 rpm and unless I threw a whole lot of throttle at the car at which point I'd jettison off from a stop. Also made a short aggressive run down an open semi highway and as I was letting off the throttle the battery symbol flashed on the dash followed by the wrench symbol. I pulled into a gas station to try to pull any trouble codes off but it didn't find anything.

It was quite the ride :-X
Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rangerheave
I have recently installed Flowmaster A/T axle backs, JLT CAI and a Bama tune to my 2010 GT w/ 5 sp. The day after I installed the CAI and tune the car stalled on me at a red light. Since then, Ive noticed that when coming off throttle or while sitting at a light, the RPM's become erradic and vary from about 900 RPM to around 300 and back again. In total so far, its stalled on me three times.

I have installed the 87 octane stock tune. Once the problem arrose, I reinstalled the same tune and still have the same issues. Installing the CAI was a no-brainer and I am confident that isnt the problem.

I also have a set of 3:73 gears which have not been installed yet. The other two tunes on my SCT flasher are an 87 performance (with 3:73's) and a 93 race (with 3:73's). Would the 87 performance tune work with my current setup despite not having the 3:73 gears? Right now, there are factory 3:31's installed.

Im very new to the whole tuning aspect. Please help and thanks in advance for your feedback.
This is not a custom tune. A custom tune is when someone sits in your car with a data logger, adjusts your tune, reloads, tests, reloads, tests and gets it perfect.

You have a canned tune.

Get your money back. Find a tuner that will put the car on a dyno.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 AM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

You can call it whatever kind of tune you want to. Bottom line is this--I have a $35K car in my driveway with less than 4,000 miles on it thats running like crap. All because I wanted to add some "performance mods".

Its no problem though. Im sure my kids will understand when I tell them I wasnt able to pick them up from school on time because Daddy's new car was stalled on the side of the road. Ill just lean the seat back, throw on my shades and pretend its all part of the plan.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Here's how I see this deal with the 5.0 and the tunes. Tuning is like anything else, trail and error and the guys with them tuned already are the lab rats.
Dyno testing and everyday driving conditions are two different things. I would imagine these problems have to be dealt with and corrected as they occur...big question is, do you want to be in the cage?
If it were me, I would wait before tuning a new 5.0 and let the other guy be in the lab until these hiccups are fixed. With 400hp + tuning wouldn't be first on my list anyways.
just my 02.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rangerheave
You can call it whatever kind of tune you want to. Bottom line is this--I have a $35K car in my driveway with less than 4,000 miles on it thats running like crap. All because I wanted to add some "performance mods".

Its no problem though. Im sure my kids will understand when I tell them I wasnt able to pick them up from school on time because Daddy's new car was stalled on the side of the road. Ill just lean the seat back, throw on my shades and pretend its all part of the plan.
Have you called up Bama yet and talked to them about the specific problems you're having? Since every car is different, it might take some trial and error with tunes to get things right. I plan on calling up Brenspeed today and seeing if they can at least give me a first revision with some tweaks particularly to at least keep it from stalling out.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 PM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

So, heres an update to the debacle Ive been dealing with. Im getting really frustrated.

1. Re-checked the CAI for bad fittings, air leaks etc. Everything remains as it should.

2. I went through the whole process of disconnecting battery, letting car cool completely, turn off all accessories and start car and allow it to warm on its own. I took it for a drive for about 15-20 miles. (Ive driven a total of 90 miles since Ive done this). All of this process was done based on the Ford owners manual and Chris from AM who advised others to do this on another forum to those who had similar problems. Its suppossed to allow the computer to "re-learn" how to idle correctly again.

3. I have not yet called AM/Bama. This is mostly because I work 14-18 hours a day.

The surging idle still persists and its driving me insane. Hopefully I can manage to find time to call AM and have them write me a new tune or I may be buying a bus pass.

Quick Reply: surging after custom tune