Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

surging after custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 AM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

Default surging after custom tune

I have recently installed Flowmaster A/T axle backs, JLT CAI and a Bama tune to my 2010 GT w/ 5 sp. The day after I installed the CAI and tune the car stalled on me at a red light. Since then, Ive noticed that when coming off throttle or while sitting at a light, the RPM's become erradic and vary from about 900 RPM to around 300 and back again. In total so far, its stalled on me three times.

I have installed the 87 octane stock tune. Once the problem arrose, I reinstalled the same tune and still have the same issues. Installing the CAI was a no-brainer and I am confident that isnt the problem.

I also have a set of 3:73 gears which have not been installed yet. The other two tunes on my SCT flasher are an 87 performance (with 3:73's) and a 93 race (with 3:73's). Would the 87 performance tune work with my current setup despite not having the 3:73 gears? Right now, there are factory 3:31's installed.

Im very new to the whole tuning aspect. Please help and thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Make sure you do not have a vacuum leak.
Check your CAI and make sure it is not loose in any area and also feel around
for any air movement around the connections at the throttle body and at the inlet tube and
where it connects to the filter. You will feel air sucking in to the filter so that does not count.
Make sure everything is clamped down tight and that the inlet tube is fit onto the throttle body
correctly and that the inlet tube is connected to the air filter correctly.

Also... you might want to clean your throttle body.
If it is dirty this problem can also arise.
Here is a link to a video that shows you how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4M-...layer_embedded
Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Call Bama as they have been having problems with there tunes and surging. I know their is a way to reset your idle and Chris Rose can tell you how but i know they reworked their tunes because of this. Just make sure you either e mail or call them or pm Chris Rose about it. This thread is about the same problem but with the 2011.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ging-idle.html
Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I noticed right after I posted this there was another thread that was pretty lengthy which talked about the same thing.

Note: My car has less than 4k miles. I doubt its the Throttle Body. Ill contact American Muscle regarding the tune and see if they can assist.

Can anyone answer the question about the tune and the gears? Does the gear ratio really have an impact on the tune itself? My guess is that it does not and I should be able to install the performance tune that was written for 3:73's and not the stock 3:31's that are in the rear-end right now.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rangerheave
Thanks for the replies. I noticed right after I posted this there was another thread that was pretty lengthy which talked about the same thing.

Note: My car has less than 4k miles. I doubt its the Throttle Body. Ill contact American Muscle regarding the tune and see if they can assist.

Can anyone answer the question about the tune and the gears? Does the gear ratio really have an impact on the tune itself? My guess is that it does not and I should be able to install the performance tune that was written for 3:73's and not the stock 3:31's that are in the rear-end right now.

Thanks again.
I can definitely tell you that you're not alone. I just uploaded my Brenspeed street tune yesterday and faced the same issue, bad surging while sitting at stop lights or idling. And the car just sounds like it really wants to stall which would of course be really bad. I also just crossed 4k miles so I don't really think that my TB is all that dirty at this point. Contacted brenspeed but haven't heard back yet.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Installing/reinstalling a tune, or disconnecting the battery wipes out the ECU's idle strategy and it has to re-learn it. This normally requires 20-50 miles of driving.
Also, there's a procedure in the battery section of the owner's manual that may expedite the re-learning process.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

If you have an auto trans then the tune for the 3.73 gears is different as your shift points have changed. If you have manual trans only your speedo will be off.

Double check all cai connections. Its very easy to have a leak underneath and not see it. Any unmeterd air entering the TB will cause issues.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Did you reset the adaptive learning after installing the tune?
If not, try that.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

I have not reset the adaptive learning yet. I just learned of this today from another thread. From what I gather, that should take care of it.

How far off would my speedometer read if I flashed the performance tune for 3:73's if I have the stock 3:31's installed? (I have a manual, not an automatic, stock 19in wheels).
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rangerheave
I have not reset the adaptive learning yet. I just learned of this today from another thread. From what I gather, that should take care of it.

How far off would my speedometer read if I flashed the performance tune for 3:73's if I have the stock 3:31's installed? (I have a manual, not an automatic, stock 19in wheels).
Nuke compiled a RPM/Speed spreadsheet for the different gearings... You could use that spreadsheet to determine what RPM you need to be moving at to deduce the MPH on those gears... I don't have the spreadsheet, but maybe a quick search will yield the attachment.

EDITED TO ADD: I just PM'd Nuke to see if he could send it to me and he had it in my inbox within minutes... Try PM'ing him and check it out.

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 12-08-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: surging after custom tune