Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbee with a GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM
t2grr

Default Newbee with a GT

Hi All

Well i am as happy as can be... just purchased my first Mustang and i love it.

I moved over from England in June (where we dont get the Mustang) and i have dreamed of owning one since i saw them on visits to the US.

I have an 07 GT with 20K on the clock and its perfect.

Taking it in for an oil change tomorrow, will call them today and make sure they have 5w20 Premium Synthetic oil (is premium, semi synthetic?), otherwise i will get my own oil and take it to them.

I mainly commute 80 miles round trip and 95% of that mileage is on the interstate at constant 70mph+ speed (i know some interstates can move slower than side roads), i intend to have them change the oil every 5K miles as per the schedule.

Thanks Graeme
Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the site. Where in GA are you located? When the weather is a little nicer and less chance of ice on the roads, several of us Mustang owners go take some fun joy rides in the north Georgia mountains. It's a blast.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM
t2grr

Thanks Jsnyng, i am located in Newnan (south Atlanta just of the 85).

The GA mountains sound like fun... count me in.

Wish i could find how to upload pics......
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

For what oil you want to run, it's up to you whether to go semi synthetic or fully synthetic, just make sure to ask if you call them so that you know for yourself. A lot of people here run blends or fully synthetic Blends just need to be changed around 5k to 7k miles whereas fully synthetic oils can go on to closer to 10k miles.

Enjoy the new car!! I also feel like going from England to Georgia is quite the change in culture xD. Personally I'd like it, I love it over here, but that is definitely a culture change! I'm jealous of you guys with nice mountains around, Illinois is the kingdom of flatness. lol
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
steedachris

Originally Posted by t2grr
Hi All

Well i am as happy as can be... just purchased my first Mustang and i love it.

I moved over from England in June (where we dont get the Mustang) and i have dreamed of owning one since i saw them on visits to the US.

I have an 07 GT with 20K on the clock and its perfect.

Taking it in for an oil change tomorrow, will call them today and make sure they have 5w20 Premium Synthetic oil (is premium, semi synthetic?), otherwise i will get my own oil and take it to them.

I mainly commute 80 miles round trip and 95% of that mileage is on the interstate at constant 70mph+ speed (i know some interstates can move slower than side roads), i intend to have them change the oil every 5K miles as per the schedule.

Thanks Graeme
Graeme
Congradulations on the new ride.When you get ready for some upgrades.Give me a call.We give mustang forum members a nice discount.

Chris Pelkowski
cpelkowski@steeda.com
www.steeda.com
954-960-0774 ext 1168
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
t2grr

Thanks for the welcome guys.... the move from England to GA went well and the weather here is superb... if a little cold at the moment, but beats 6" snow in England at the moment..

Just found out i won a GPS at work, so now i can find the back roads home... should be fun.

I sometimes find myself walking to the window just so i can stare at the car.... i am getting worried now, but it does look good. I am so suprised they didnt introduce it to England, (we get the Focus and Taurus). Ford would do so well if they exported it to the UK, yes they would need to stick a diesel engine in it (as gas is like $8 per gallon) and move the steering wheel over but i know it would go down very well. Oh well i have one here now.

Thanks Graeme
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Welcome.

Based on your driving style and intent, sticking with the synthetic blend that comes in these engines from the factory would be your most economical choice. It's good to 7000 miles (Ford claims 7500) but if you're comfy with 5000 mile oil changes, knock yourself out. Full syn is a waste of $$ if you're changing it before 8000-10000 miles. I use full synthetic in my Stang with 10,000 mile changes and in my tow vehicle (SUV) I change the full syn at 8,000 miles.

I know what you mean when you say you can't keep your eyes off of your Stang.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Roush06GA
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums and to GA..
Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Also regarding oil changes, find your closest Ford dealership's website and sign up for their service department's email list. I've got two dealerships fairly close to me, and I'm on both of their lists. I get coupons every month from one or the other with deals on full synthetic oil changes for $49.99. The coupon specifies up to 5 quarts only, but they've never charged me for the overage required in our cars. One of the dealerships I take mine to even vacuums the carpet and washes the exterior of the car when you take it to them.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Congrats on getting your dream car. I love mine too.

Quick Reply: Newbee with a GT