Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil

Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

why didn't the low oil pressure warning come on (the lighted text on the cluster),
why was the oil pressure gauge unobserved while showing no pressure.

really sorry to hear this mjscott2, it could happen to anyone and let's hope for the best.
maybe it's just the oil pump or at the worst main & rod bearings. keep us posted on the
repair.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
lexustech48
1st Gear Member

What to do if you blow up your engine.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lexustech48
That's a super ouch........5.0 stroker kit mentioned above is looking better and better.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

a used 3V engine should be cheap yes? probably the cheapest way to go.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I'm impressed you posted up what you did, most folks wouldnt. We are all in pain reading this thats for sure. I dont know what to say.......
Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
the only way to be certain of all of the damage is to tear down the motor and do a complete rebuild.

List of potential problems caused from running with no oil:
Fried cam lobes
Destroyed Main bearings
Destroyed cam bearings
Destroyed Piston rings
Gouged or burnished cylinder walls (will need to be refinished)
Cracked valve stem seals.

No point in fixing only parts of it only to have the other parts fail later from not being replaced, serviced. You'll spend way more spread out over time than just sucking it up and doing it right the first time.
+1 IMO At this point the motor needs to come out of the car, be torn down and inspected. Or...

Just buy a shortblock, and have the heads gone over. Good luck, it's an expensive lesson.

My swag would be mains and rod bearings are toast.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Roush06GA
1st Gear Member

ouch...time to build a forged motor, that will work well with the kenne bell you have
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 PM
mjscott2

Default The morning after

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

OK, so I had a mechanic friend over to look at my other car (twin turbo RX7 that I rebuilt) and do a compression test. Got a bad apex seal on the rear rotor - that engine's coming out (again!).

Afterwards I had him look at the Mustang. He wrenches on Japanese cars, so isn't familiar with the V8s. However, we poked around with a stethoscope.

The car idles fine, with only a slight, intermittent sound like a bad pulley bearing. it appears to be coming from the driver side, up around the heads at the front of the engine. Not sure if it's a pulley or in the valve system - will pull off the serpentine and idle it for a few seconds to see if the noise goes away.

After a few minutes there's a distinct sound coming from the valvetrain. Somethings definitely broken in there - maybe the valves are damaged, or perhaps bearings.

There was no idiot light when I originally started the car, or when it started making the bad noises. However, when I started it this morning it was throwing codes:
Fault code: P0345 Camshaft position sensor A - Bank 2 Circuit Malfunction
Pending code: P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Pending code: P0340 Camshaft position sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction

I cleared the codes and ran the car for a few minutes - none of them came back.

Makes me wonder if I ground up camshaft bearings, throwing them out, which caused the engine computer to sense a misalignment and throw the code. Since the cams were misaligned, they caused valve damage. This would explain the valve noise and bearing noise. Of course, there are a bunch of other things that it could be ...

Wish me luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjscott2
Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

OK, so I had a mechanic friend over to look at my other car (twin turbo RX7 that I rebuilt) and do a compression test. Got a bad apex seal on the rear rotor - that engine's coming out (again!).

Afterwards I had him look at the Mustang. He wrenches on Japanese cars, so isn't familiar with the V8s. However, we poked around with a stethoscope.

The car idles fine, with only a slight, intermittent sound like a bad pulley bearing. it appears to be coming from the driver side, up around the heads at the front of the engine. Not sure if it's a pulley or in the valve system - will pull off the serpentine and idle it for a few seconds to see if the noise goes away.

After a few minutes there's a distinct sound coming from the valvetrain. Somethings definitely broken in there - maybe the valves are damaged, or perhaps bearings.

There was no idiot light when I originally started the car, or when it started making the bad noises. However, when I started it this morning it was throwing codes:
Fault code: P0345 Camshaft position sensor A - Bank 2 Circuit Malfunction
Pending code: P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Pending code: P0340 Camshaft position sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction

I cleared the codes and ran the car for a few minutes - none of them came back.

Makes me wonder if I ground up camshaft bearings, throwing them out, which caused the engine computer to sense a misalignment and throw the code. Since the cams were misaligned, they caused valve damage. This would explain the valve noise and bearing noise. Of course, there are a bunch of other things that it could be ...

Wish me luck!
No cam bearings in this motor. They ride on journals. Lack of oil to the roller followers will cause damage.

What's your oil pressure look like?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
+1 IMO At this point the motor needs to come out of the car, be torn down and inspected. Or...

Just buy a shortblock, and have the heads gone over. Good luck, it's an expensive lesson.

My swag would be mains and rod bearings are toast.
Just read the entire thread you attached....hows the car running and did you improve on the dyno numbers......good article / thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil