Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil

Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM
mjscott2

Default OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil

So, I've had a very bad day. It's my own fault, but now I have to figure out a plan to fix the car.

Changed the oil today, did a bunch of other work on the car, then something came up and I got distracted, and in a rush took off without refilling the oil. Yeah, I know. Dumbass.

Anyway, after about 90 seconds the engine started making nasty sounds, so I shut it off and pulled over. I filled it with Mobil 1 and drove it back home.

When I start the car it sounds OK, but within half a minute or so it starts making bad sounds again. I'm not sure if it's bearings or the valve train or what.

Aside from my massive brain fart today, I know my way around an engine, but haven't had to dig into a 4.6L V3 mod before.

Any suggestions on what I should look at? Main, crank, cam bearings?

Car is a 2005 GT with a 2.6L Kenne Bell supercharger.

Any suggestions about what, specifically, I should look at are welcome!

thanks,

Mike.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 AM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

damn man that sucks to hear. the first thing to go with no oil should be??? seals?? idk. hope something works out for you.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would imagine the oil pump will die first.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

I hope you get plenty of info quickly from the forum. Just a bad day. Post what happens if u can.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ouch...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Ouch....stuff like that happens. Go to http://www.automotix.net....used 4.6 3V engines under $2000.00......unless you pull a part your engine and start changing bearings and machine work....depending on what the bad noises are? Sounds like after a min that it might be bearings or for around $2000.00 you could do a stroker kit and bore it .20 and have a 5.0 3v engine.......check out: http://www.modmaxracing.com

Good luck
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

IF the nasty noises are "Tack! Tack! Tack!", that is your valve lash adjusters not being able to get any oil into them to eliminate the valve lash. And once you get valvetrain tack from lack of oil, it is there forever until you do some not-so-cheap repairs.
I am no mechanic so I have no idea what or where the oil failure lies in your valve train begins to tack from lack of oil. The oil holes in the cams could be messed up, the oil passageways in the heads could be filled with dried caked cooked oil (what remained in there even while you changed your oil), or the lash adjusters themselves could be FUBAR, or both.

On the rest of the block, the oil pump could be messed up and no longer is feeding enough oil to the engine, the bearings could have been turned out of position from the massive increased amounts of friction due to a lack of lube, and thus the oil holes do not line up correctly, and more.

These are are just some of my thoughts.
If someone knows the correct answers, please post.
I especially want to know why valvetrain tack persists even after you put proper oil back into the engine again.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Man, I'm sorry for you. Sick feeling.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

the only way to be certain of all of the damage is to tear down the motor and do a complete rebuild.

List of potential problems caused from running with no oil:
Fried cam lobes
Destroyed Main bearings
Destroyed cam bearings
Destroyed Piston rings
Gouged or burnished cylinder walls (will need to be refinished)
Cracked valve stem seals.

No point in fixing only parts of it only to have the other parts fail later from not being replaced, serviced. You'll spend way more spread out over time than just sucking it up and doing it right the first time.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:39 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I feel for you man, sometimes it sucks how little mistakes can just kill your day. I know it's no comparison to a car engine but a couple summers ago I had to get my first lawn mower, didn't realize that they didn't come with oil. Started it up and ran it for a little bit and it started clacking like hell, stopped it and filled with oil. The engine basically welded itself into a block :-X

It's definitely one of those just terrible feelings to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil