Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine died on highway.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 AM
scgt652

Default Engine died on highway.....

Hi guys. I have a 2006 Mustang GT auto that I purchased last year with only 4,900 miles on it. It now has 22,000 miles. It is by far the most enjoyable car I have ever owned (and I have owned 14 cars in my short life). The car has been trouble free until.....

Yesterday I was driving on highway during rush hour. I was cruising in the far left lane at about 70 miles an hour when all of a sudden the yellow engine light lit up on the dash. Right after that, the engine died and the car started decelerating. I was able to maneuver over to the side of the road just as the car came to a complete stop. I then put the shifter into "park" and turned off the ignition. After a couple of seconds, I was able to start the car up again. I then was able to drive home (about 40 miles) with no problems. I also drove several miles today with no problems.

Does anyone know why this might have happened?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since you didn't state it, I'll make an assumption that you didn't have a CEL on at any time other than when the car shut down. Can you give any more details? What mods have you done? Any previous history of issues and recent maintenance?

There are a few issues with this S197 model that are a possibility but I'd rather not get into them without more info.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

If the yellow check engine light came on, then you have a stored fault code. Go to autozone and have them read the code out for you if you don't have your own scantool or tuner
Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Something similar happen to my car a few years ago; I had a JLT CAI on it and the filter fell off the end of the tube which caused the car to immediately go into "LIMP" mode. As others have said though, see what code came up from the check engine light and also make sure everything is tight going into the throttle body.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 PM
slidai
1st Gear Member

After reading this post, i remember having something like this happen to me also. All the power failed in my car and it was sluggish. I actually cut my car off while on the highway and then restarted it about 5 seconds later. Never had a problem since. I also have a 2006 GT.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 PM
scgt652

Originally Posted by Nuke
Since you didn't state it, I'll make an assumption that you didn't have a CEL on at any time other than when the car shut down. Can you give any more details? What mods have you done? Any previous history of issues and recent maintenance?

There are a few issues with this S197 model that are a possibility but I'd rather not get into them without more info.
The CEL has never come on before. The car is bone stock. I have had it for one year. It had 4,900 miles on it when I bought it, and now it has 22,000 miles. Here are the only problems I have had with the car:

1. One time last month, the radio wouldn't turn on (it works fine now).
2 A few weeks ago, I parked my car in the garage and exited the car. When I got out, I noticed that the center bulb in the passenger side tail light was on. All the other lights were off. I immediately drove the car to the dealership, but when I got there, the problem disappeared (of course).

Thanks for your advice!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM
scgt652

Thanks for all your help guys. I did not know that there was a stored fault code available whenever the CEL comes on. Now that I know this, I will take the car back to the dealer on Monday and have them check it out.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Here's what I hope is only the worst case and you DON'T have this issue:

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...LOOR-AREA.html

This is prevalent on a LOT of '05's and '06's and Ford made a "bandaid" on the '07's up. The water leak causes corrosion of the SJB (Smart Junction Box) and begins as strange electrical gremlins. It can eventually make the care unsafe to drive (not sure how Ford dodged THAT recall) and be pretty expensive to repair.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
scgt652

Originally Posted by Nuke
Here's what I hope is only the worst case and you DON'T have this issue:

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...LOOR-AREA.html

This is prevalent on a LOT of '05's and '06's and Ford made a "bandaid" on the '07's up. The water leak causes corrosion of the SJB (Smart Junction Box) and begins as strange electrical gremlins. It can eventually make the care unsafe to drive (not sure how Ford dodged THAT recall) and be pretty expensive to repair.
Oh wow. Thanks for the info, Nuke. I will ask the service advisor to look into this. By the way, I have the extended warranty, so I am not concerned with any repair costs.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
slidai
1st Gear Member

I had a problem with water in my floorboard. I looked this up on alldata and i thought i had the same problem as nuke posted about. Turns out, the area where the cabin air filter is, was just clogged with leaves where the rubber drain is causing the water to back up and leak through the cabin air filter and onto the floorboard. My airbag light was always on, and other weird stuff electrical related. Check to see if your drain in this area is clogged also. Its simple to check. Just pop off the covers under the windshield wipers on the passenger side of the car. Look in there and see if there is any water.

Quick Reply: Engine died on highway.....