Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! - POOR Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

^^^x2.

Although your a/f numbers are off. The power numbers could be correct. LV is 2000 ft above sea level and could account for the lower power numbers.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
REDinLV

Alrighty...

After searching around, I was only able to find one other shop in town that I would feel comfortable going to. The shop used to be a local performance shop with a great reputation. However, now when I call them, it appears they've changed...

Unfortunately, the shop has been taken over by, or switched to, Shelby American's new Speed Shop.

I called to ask how much it would be just for some basic testing, no tuning needed (for now). They let me know that it was $150 for 3 pulls, but would provide the usual power, torque, and a/f readouts. Is that high? This seems a little steep, but I'm assuming it's because the shop is Shelby branded and run now.

I've already pulled the stock intake and cleaned everything including the MAF and the TB. Everything looked great with no loose connections or holes. Even though I didn't before the test, I'm still kinda babying the car when I have to drive it. I'll most likely be going back to the dealer anyways to get it re-flashed, just in case.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

It costs 80 bucks for 3 pulls where I live and it's a hell of a nice place. I'd say 150 is high, but perhaps thats the norm where you live?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 PM
REDinLV

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
It costs 80 bucks for 3 pulls where I live and it's a hell of a nice place. I'd say 150 is high, but perhaps thats the norm where you live?
Yeah, I'm definitely going to keep looking. The shop I had do the initial testing, where this whole fiasco started, charged $75 for 3 runs. That price seems about average in other, out-of-state locations I've found. Since I'm supposed to be babying it though, I really don't want to take the car out of town. I might just end up at Shelby paying the $150.

Although, I could always do as others here have said and just skip the whole "baseline" step by getting the CAI, Tuner and tunes from Bama or Brenspeed.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:28 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by REDinLV
Although, I could always do as others here have said and just skip the whole "baseline" step by getting the CAI, Tuner and tunes from Bama or Brenspeed.

Decisions, decisions.
That sounds like a plan right there.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
That sounds like a plan right there.
I don't give a crap about baseline. I would get the mods done and then dyno it if you have to know.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

All that jagged-ness in the dyno run is detonation. I'd be willing to bet your plugs are fried. It looks like you just need a good quality tune, some new plugs and your car would be in good shape. Does the car feel like those jagged lines? It should accelerate nice and smooth. I'll bet it doesn't. I've seen that a million times before with people who run octane boosters that fry the spark plugs.

Definitely replace the plugs, make sure that you're running the best quality fuel that you have available and get a new mail-order tune. I'd be willing to send you one out for free to see if it clears up your troubles.

PM me over your SCT programmer Serial Number, your PCM code and all of the modifications that you have, from exhaust to intake, etc. Also send me your rear tire size and what gear ratio, and I'll email it over to the email you specify.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
I'd be willing to send you one out for free to see if it clears up your troubles.

Hey Chris, I am having problems with my car too. It's really slow, you wanna hook me up too?

J/K. Gotta love AM!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
REDinLV

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
All that jagged-ness in the dyno run is detonation. I'd be willing to bet your plugs are fried. It looks like you just need a good quality tune, some new plugs and your car would be in good shape. Does the car feel like those jagged lines? It should accelerate nice and smooth. I'll bet it doesn't. I've seen that a million times before with people who run octane boosters that fry the spark plugs.

Definitely replace the plugs, make sure that you're running the best quality fuel that you have available and get a new mail-order tune. I'd be willing to send you one out for free to see if it clears up your troubles.

PM me over your SCT programmer Serial Number, your PCM code and all of the modifications that you have, from exhaust to intake, etc. Also send me your rear tire size and what gear ratio, and I'll email it over to the email you specify.
Wow! That's very nice of you. Just another reason I love this forum. I'm actually going to order my CAI and tuner in the next day or so. I just need to find a buyer for my stock rims.

Thanks for the advice on the plugs. I picked up a fuel filter, just for the heck of it as well. I'll swap the plugs and fuel filter when the CAI and tuner arrive.

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply: HELP! - POOR Dyno Results