Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

so my clutch is dying, looking for recommendations

Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i have tried 2 different clutches.
Spec stage 2 in my 2000 GT with bolt ons
CF DF in my 2007 GT with whipple SC
both hold well, the Spec is more on/off meaning less clutch play
the CF is more DD friendly
of these 2 i've tried, i recommend the CF DF
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I am curious... I had a CFDF in my turbo 99 eclipse and it was awesome... However, it appears the 2 big retailers mentioned the most here (AM and Brespeed) do not carry this clutch... I can find at Summit Racing... Strange. I wonder why.

What about RAM clutches? Anyone with experience with those?

Don
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
There have been so many here that have bought the 2 and 2+, only to end up buying a clutch that works correctly. After seeing how Spec treats it's customers and it's lack of support, I would never buy a clutch from them.

As far as the RST input shaft binding issue, that's the first I have heard of that.
I agree with the Stage 2/2+. They are pretty crappy and have experience with the 2+ being crap, but the 3+ has worked great for me an others.

As far as the binding...I have spoken to several people with similar issues with engagement problems running the RST when I had it and trying to figure out what was wrong after pulling it out several times and even had McLeod inspect and rebuild it. Ive looked at nearly every post on all of the forums about what clutch to get before I decided on the RST the first time around because it did have the fewest complaints, but they are out there. dont know man...all I can do is give my opinion and my experiences. gotta say...McLeod customer service was top notch though! havent had to deal with Spec and from the sounds of it, I dont want to ;-)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Wow thanks for all the replies guys! Seeing as I'm already at 500whp I like the idea of the McLeod RST, not a bad price at all for a twin disc. Any problems daily driving with the RST?

Last edited by candymanjl; 01-02-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
Wow thanks for all the replies guy! Seeing as I'm already at 500whp I like the idea of the McLeod RST, not a bad price at all for a twin disc. Any problems daily driving with the RST?
Originally Posted by BruceH
Rattle at 1700 rpms. This was with the 10 spline rst. I bought a whole new 26 spline rst when I put the 6 speed in and it has a very slight rattle in 4th only at 1700 rpms. The rattle comes from the floater plate.

For a good price pm Tom at amped performance and ask about the s197 group buy.
I get the rattle when I lug the motor and give it a little peddle around the 1700 rpm range.

I daily drvive this thing though. I always run DRs on the street and go the track atleast 1 time a month from March thru Sept. Sactown DDs his also, probably a few less passes though.

I had a new staging official put me back into the water box (even though my tires didn't get in the water), I ended up doing the burnout and smoke poored out of the engine bay from smoking the clutch. Long story short, clutch was just fine and the new official got his *** chewed by me and a few other racers for not putting me in the water.

Moral of the story, this clutch lasts!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

I went with the Exedy mach400 from BBR and I am loving it so far after 2000-3000 miles. the thing grabs hard and drives... just ever so slightly more aggressive than stock. I went with this kit because it was cheaper than the Mcleod RST, but for the most part, had similar reviews to the RST (which were good).

From when I did my clutch research before I made my purchase, the main choices really come down to Exedy or Mcleod. Just make sure you do either the RIGHT way and get the slave replaced and resurface the flywheel or match it up to a new flywheel.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by BIGPHIL
I do not know why you say to stay away from the Spec clutches.
Ok...

Originally Posted by BIGPHIL
I agree with the Stage 2/2+. They are pretty crappy and have experience with the 2+ being crap, but the 3+ has worked great for me an others.
You said you did not know why I said to stay away from SPEC clutches then you said the Stage 2/2+ are crap?
Wow that makes a whole boat load of sense.
Regardless of whether you think the 3+ is good.

The 3+ has not had as many problems as the others but it has had more than it's fair share.
As for the others they don't even deserve being talked about for use.
SPEC's customer service is also crap and they do everything they can to point the flaws of their clutches
towards the customer instead of taking responsibility for their products.

I have no idea how you could possibly NOT see why I said to stay away from SPEC.
SPEC is a garbage company in my opinion and they have managed to convince many other
Mustang owners to have the same opinion.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-30-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Simon,

Similar story here. I hot lapped too many times and smoked the clutch on a pass. Stunk pretty bad. Let it cool and it's like it never happened.
I was told by someone in the industry it wouldn't last through one season of racing. Starting my 3rd in a few months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so my clutch is dying, looking for recommendations