Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aftermarket Steering Shaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 PM
nastyimpulse

Default Aftermarket Steering Shaft ?

hey just installed a set of long tube headers on my 2007 gt and im having a problem with the steering shaft rubbing against the header any one know of an aftermarket steering shaft that would give me some more clearance? I searched online and can not find any that will work on anything after 2004.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Rubbing when? During corners? Hitting the top or bottom or side? Check into getting a motor mount that raises or lowers the motor or keeps the motor from moving around.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
nastyimpulse

Originally Posted by Simon1
Rubbing when? During corners? Hitting the top or bottom or side? Check into getting a motor mount that raises or lowers the motor or keeps the motor from moving around.
It's rubbing on the side I can see wear marks on the shaft it's worse when I'm making a right turn. I feel resistance in the wheel when turning to the right. I was going to try prothane motor mounts and hopefully try to shift to motor to the right a little. Any other ideas?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nastyimpulse
It's rubbing on the side I can see wear marks on the shaft it's worse when I'm making a right turn. I feel resistance in the wheel when turning to the right. I was going to try prothane motor mounts and hopefully try to shift to motor to the right a little. Any other ideas?
Depends how bad it's rubbing.....In the past I would dent in the header....place a pipe sideways on the area that is rubbing and whack it....a nice & clean looking indentation....doesn't effect performance. Since you headers are installed....motor mount seems like the best option or indent the header while it's on the car....if possible.....be careful to the steering shaft if you do this! what brand of headers?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
nastyimpulse

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Depends how bad it's rubbing.....In the past I would dent in the header....place a pipe sideways on the area that is rubbing and whack it....a nice & clean looking indentation....doesn't effect performance. Since you headers are installed....motor mount seems like the best option or indent the header while it's on the car....if possible.....be careful to the steering shaft if you do this! what brand of headers?
They are obx headers
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

They are obx headers
Nice looking headers, Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Motor mounts will solve the issue.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

some people have reported rubbing on their Long tubes after install, two options:

One - replace Motormounts to see if you can "shift" the engine over just enought to avoid rub
Two - Take a flat headed hammer and slightly dent the area on the long tube that is rubbing. This might require removal of the header to get enough room to really whack it as needed.