Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford's recent quality/reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM
scrmnws6

Default Ford's recent quality/reliability

Hey guys,

Yes, I'm a noob, yes I'm coming from all GM vehicles. Looking at placing an order for a 2012 5.0 in the next couple of weeks and registered here to read read read and ask questions until I'm blue in the face.

We've all heard nightmares about every single manufacturer, so I'm not here saying Ford is worse/better than manufacturere X.

I would just like to know what Ford's build quality is as of recent on their new lineup of Mustangs, the fit/finish, and how the vehicle will age in the next 5 years in terms of becoming a huge rattle box or not.

I was in the market for a used M5, drove a few with 80k miles on them and I could not tell the difference from a 20k mile example, same thing with Infiniti/Audi etc.

I don't want to compare Ford to BMW/MB/Audi, but rather Ford of today to Ford of yesterday.

How are the 2005/06/07 Mustangs holding up? Still solid?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
How are the 2005/06/07 Mustangs holding up? Still solid?

Thanks.
Both of my fords are older then that and they are still going strong.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I have a 2007 GT, I went and test drove a 2012 5.0....I was shocked by how fast it was and how much ford's quality has increased. The interior was by far the biggest shocker for me. When I look at a camaro's interior I can't understand why anyone would pick it over a mustang
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM
scrmnws6

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
Both of my fords are older then that and they are still going strong.
More concerned about long term longevity of quality of parts.

Does the door still close the same way it did when it drove off the dealer lot?

Engine will run forever with proper maintenance, but that is dependant on owner.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

You're looking at a 2012.. I have a 2006, will be some differences and I have a feeling quality has been bumped up a few notches from mine but I will get random rattles that I can hear in the interior. Not enough to annoy me, but I know they are there.

Ford has definitely jumped ahead in the domestic car game though.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
scrmnws6

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
I have a 2007 GT, I went and test drove a 2012 5.0....I was shocked by how fast it was and how much ford's quality has increased. The interior was by far the biggest shocker for me. When I look at a camaro's interior I can't understand why anyone would pick it over a mustang
Thanks for that feedback. How rattle free is your 07 GT now compared to new? Any new rattle developments that just drive you crazy?

I was at the official unveiling of the Camaro in Detroit with GM and I was completely for the Camaro... I told myself I'm buying one when it comes out. That quickly changed when I had the car as a rental in Florida. The visibility was poor, blind spots all around the vehicle, bad seating position, interior was blah.

The revised S197 and 5.0 is exactly what I'm looking for. I drove one this past Friday and fell in love. Has similar power to my old Formula WS6 but with a smoother ride.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Coming from a long heritage of Toyotas, I have to say that I'm quite please with both my '07 GT and the g/f's '06 Pony. Despite the laundry list of TSB issues in addition to those commonly discussed on the forum, the S197's are pretty stout. There a re a number of members with over 100k miles with noting specific to complain too much about (besides the suk azz OE charging system).
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I have a 2008 GT with 25K miles that I bought new....no problems at all. Everything works as it should and still looks new. The factory floor mats don't look as new as they once did....no big deal. There are no rattles or squeaks. The front end is still in alignment and tracking perfectly. The only issue I had happened twice....2 small rock chips on the front windshield. The chips are barely noticeable but, I feel the windscreen chips to easily. The other issue would be the black molding on the exterior. It's starting to fade but, apply some Armor All and it looks new....these are my only complaints.

As far as consumables go....I replaced the back tires at 18K and the front tires are still original but, are getting low and will be needing to be replaced before summer. I replaced the front brakes at 22K and the rear brakes are original. That's all I did to date besides normal oil/filters change. I'm planning on 2 new front tires and change the fuel filter the next time I change the oil.

I'm at the point now where I want to modify the car. I never had time in the past due to work/life. Now that things are winding down for me I plan on making several high performance mods in HP / suspension / appearance. My reason for bringing this up is that there are almost unlimited aftermarket parts you can install. If you wanted....you could update the car anyway you want at a price anyone could afford!

Overall the car is well built and would recommend a Mustang to everyone. This car is not a BMW or Infinity. It's rougher around the edges but, that is reflected in price and auto segment/demographic. The Mustang is a muscle/pony car and those characteristics are reflected in the driving experience. The S197 is more refined compared to the S95 and Fox body Mustangs....If you owned these Mustangs in the past you will notice the evolution in the Mustang and it's for the better. Good Luck with your decision!!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

my 2010 has great quality. fit and finish is great. interior materials are great. lots of features. and 17500 with no real quality problems other than an issue with my clutch pressure plate, but that was fixed under the warranty and has been fine for the past 7500 miles.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

My daily driver is a 93 Mercury Tracer (stop laughing) 202,000 mile on original motor and trans, never broke down and interior is still 95% squeak free, A/C blows freezing cold still. I've never had any issue with a few personal Ford, neither have any of my friends and my customers have had same issues with Ford mechanically/durability as they have with their Toyota's, Honda's, Audi's, Hyundai's(worst) etc...
Buy that Mustang you will NOT regret it.

Quick Reply: Ford's recent quality/reliability