Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Instant Throttle Response

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
GTcrazy

Default Instant Throttle Response

When I floor the gas pedal of my GT (Auto Trans) it kind of takes a second to wind up and then takes off like a bat out hell. A guy at a local speed shop says that is because of the Electronic Throttle Control which doesn't immediately open up the throttle body all of the way when you hit the gas. He said if it were the old cable type of setup, the response would be instantaneous. He mentioned some computerized device that you can by for about $300.00 that get's inserted in line between the gas pedal and the throttle body which will bring the gas pedal to throttle response to a 1:1 so that the throttle body opens wide open as soon as you floor the pedal.

Has anyone heard of such a device or was he feeding me a line of bull?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...r-2011gt1.html

or

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-2011gt.html

I don't know what your guy is talking about, but it sounds shady. The tuner/cai combo will add a good amount of power and throttle response. If you're not looking to shell out that much cash you could go with just the tuner. Should take care of the issue
Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Are you being serious right now? It's called a tuner. Look up SCT, or just search the forum for "tuner".

I smell troll, though.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yah...different 'tune', using a SCT XCal, to get rid of throttle lag. ..plus making a lot of other performance improvements!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
GTcrazy

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Are you being serious right now? It's called a tuner. Look up SCT, or just search the forum for "tuner".

I smell troll, though.
I'm not sure what a troll is, but it doesn't sound good. I am very serious. I've been combing the Internet since I posted the question and actually found a similar device but it's only for Japanese cars.

http://sgeauto.com/2009/12/239/

I have a K&N CAI with a Diablo Tuner which was installed by a shop here in Maryland. They are the guys that mentioned this. The first tune they put on the car did help with the lag but didn't get rid of it. Unfortunately it also caused the TCS light to be permanently on and in the manual it says that means the TCS has detected a malfunction so they did the tune again using K&N tune that came with the tuner.

I'm pretty new to the forum scene. What is a troll?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

WOW, you seriously need to go to either a real speed shop or you need to go buy an online custom tune from Brenspeed or American Muscle/Bama. Those guys have no idea what the hell they are doing. They screwed you pretty bad.

Horsepower by Herman in Beltsville or JPC racing are a couple recommended shops in MD.

You don't need junk like that for throttle response. It's all adjusted in the computer of the car, which a custom tune will fix.

Last edited by alkemist; 03-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

1. goto americanmuscle.com

2. add "cai/sct xf3 tuner combo" to cart

3. pay for it (mc, visa, am, or paypal)

4. wait a couple of days

5. install cai

6. follow directions to use sct xf3 device

(by this point you should have seen an email from the Bama folks about ordering your custom tune and you should have gotten a 87, 89, 93 tunes loaded on device)

7. flash 93R image to cars computer

8. crank car

9. point car in straight line and bury the throttle in the floorboard.

10. smile

that is all.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

When my car was stock I orderd a jlt cai and brenspeed tune via a sct handheld. After installation the car went from boring stock to literally chirping second and third gears with an automatic!!! Here is the proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjLlRoBL1M

A tune from a reputable shop, brenspeed, AM or bbr is your answer.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
GTcrazy

Thanks everyone. I did some reading before I bought the Diablo tuner and it sounded like a lot of people used them. I'll look into the SCT as an alternative, and definitely check out one of the other shops you recommended. I'm trying to teach myself about this car without losing my shirt.

Also, I found a thread on the Forum that discusses a quick adjustment to the circuit board under the gas pedal that will eliminate the lag too. It looks like a fairly recent post. Just search for "DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)"

Thanks again for the help. Oh yeah, I'm still not sure what a troll is.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It sounds like you're running a "canned" tune that is included with the Diablo. It provided minimal improvements as compared to a good custom tune. American Muscle (Bama) writes tunes for the Diablo or so I've heard. You'll probably notice an additional 5-10 RWHP with their tunes and possibly better throttle response; DEFINITELY better shift points if you're an auto.

Be sure to manually turn off TCS when attempting WOT runs. TCS will impede performance under certain circumstances.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instant Throttle Response