Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Del-Sphere LCA's/Clunking sound when shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM
MstngShelbyGT07

Default Del-Sphere LCA's/Clunking sound when shifting...

Just installed Spohn Del-Sphere double rod end LCA's on the car. I knew there would be some increased NVH with them, but I am hearing a faint "clunk" when shifting gears now. This happens mainly on the 1-2, 2-3 up-shift when letting the clutch out (both on light and wide open throttle). It's hard to pinpoint if the noise is coming from the LCA's. It kind of sounds like it is coming from the rear of the transmission tunnel. I still have the stock 2 piece drive shaft... could this be the culprit causing the noise and I never really noticed it before because the stock LCA's were rubber bushed and dampened the sound???
Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

The noise you're experiencing is pretty normal. That's why most of the LCA with spherical rod ends are labeled as track use only
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I have a panhard bar with spherical rod ends and there's a lot a noise when going slow over bumpy surfaces. Its just the price you pay I guess.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MstngShelbyGT07
Just installed Spohn Del-Sphere double rod end LCA's on the car. I knew there would be some increased NVH with them, but I am hearing a faint "clunk" when shifting gears now. This happens mainly on the 1-2, 2-3 up-shift when letting the clutch out (both on light and wide open throttle). It's hard to pinpoint if the noise is coming from the LCA's. It kind of sounds like it is coming from the rear of the transmission tunnel. I still have the stock 2 piece drive shaft... could this be the culprit causing the noise and I never really noticed it before because the stock LCA's were rubber bushed and dampened the sound???
I think you are hearing the driveshaft clunk more because the joints transmit more noise. I have a one piece DS, UMI Roto Joints and I also hear more noises. It's all part of modding.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:41 PM
John@TrackspecMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Did you try retorquing them after the initial run? Also, did you torque them with the suspension settled and the car on the ground?

Give that a shot if you havent already, let us know if that fixes it! Rod ends are prone to making noise but not particularly right way. Its common for rod ends as they wear to allow the shaft or control arm to twist letting the rod end hit the mounting bracket causing the noice. The driveshaft could be the issue also but you didnt really hear it before and i doubt by installing rod ends it would be that much more intense of a sound.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
MstngShelbyGT07

Originally Posted by John@TrackspecMotorsports
Did you try retorquing them after the initial run? Also, did you torque them with the suspension settled and the car on the ground?

Give that a shot if you havent already, let us know if that fixes it! Rod ends are prone to making noise but not particularly right way. Its common for rod ends as they wear to allow the shaft or control arm to twist letting the rod end hit the mounting bracket causing the noice. The driveshaft could be the issue also but you didnt really hear it before and i doubt by installing rod ends it would be that much more intense of a sound.
Nawh, it was torqued while on the lift. Will give that a try and let you know!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Any update? Hope its resolved!

John
Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

He said they are double rod ends, so I'm not sure if torquing down while on the ground comes into play here. I thought that was more for rubber bushings and causing bind?

I have the UMI delrin upper and lowers and so far they have all loosened up on me. I can't tell you how many times I have had to screw around with that PITA upper arm! The thing keeps coming loose and when it does it allows the ball some wiggle room between the delrin spheres. CLUNK when getting on or off the gas as the rear end winds up. They should loctite these at the factory. Grrrrr!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
He said they are double rod ends, so I'm not sure if torquing down while on the ground comes into play here. I thought that was more for rubber bushings and causing bind?

I have the UMI delrin upper and lowers and so far they have all loosened up on me. I can't tell you how many times I have had to screw around with that PITA upper arm! The thing keeps coming loose and when it does it allows the ball some wiggle room between the delrin spheres. CLUNK when getting on or off the gas as the rear end winds up. They should loctite these at the factory. Grrrrr!
Correct! Since they are rod ends, it won't matter as much but regardless, what we have always done was initial torqued the control arms down on the lift, lower the car down. Drive the car around the block to get everything settled, then retorque while the on the ground. Its just a practice that ensures everything is tight and bind free.

And yes, medium loctite is our friend!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MstngShelbyGT07
Just installed Spohn Del-Sphere double rod end LCA's on the car. I knew there would be some increased NVH with them, but I am hearing a faint "clunk" when shifting gears now. This happens mainly on the 1-2, 2-3 up-shift when letting the clutch out (both on light and wide open throttle). It's hard to pinpoint if the noise is coming from the LCA's.
How closely did the Del-Sphere ends fit up into the axle and chassis side brackets? Did your bolt torquing involve much squeezing together of the bracket "sides"? Enough to clearly see?

And how much clearance is there between the bolts and the holes in all the parts they go through?

Those questions are sort of related if the reason for the clunk is what I think it could be..

Norm

Quick Reply: Del-Sphere LCA's/Clunking sound when shifting...