Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Supercharging my 09 GT - Supercharged 4.6's STEP IN

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I still have stock plugs on my car with the 475 kit. I have about the same setup but no longtubes and making 438
I hope you are joking.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
Wow, now THAT is the prime example of a ignorant post. Yes, the ICless version of the centris are dirt cheap, but even the H.O. kits are cheaper than any twin screw or roots supercharger (RoushCharger not included - but that operates at a lower boost than the comparable centri H.O. kits). What is the cheapest twin screw system with comparable boost? 6k+. The centris come in at just north of 5k. Also you think the centris only make 390 tq? My Paxton was just dynoed at just over 440rwtq with 508 rwhp on the Brenspeed tune. Also the new TVS and Edelbrock blowers perform very comparably to the twin screws.

And reliability? Do you have any data to back that up? I've seen cases of blowers of every type grenade a motor. Completeness? They all come with everything you need. And best certainly is a very subjective to the application of the user.

The reality is if you want off the line boost the twin screws and TVS screws are great for that. They make great power at (literally) the flick of a switch. I've driven them, they're fun as hell, but so is any boost generating device. The centris are a bit smoother in the way they build power and they put out higher HP than the rotor-style blowers which is why I went that way. Is mine any better than any other? Hell no, it just fit my desired application better than the others. Perhaps you should educate yourself a bit more before you start spraying ignorant drivel across the net.
You say they make power smoother? That means slower. I want neck snapping power immediately when I go WOT.

It's not ignorant drivel. There is reason why the great majority of the fast SC cars run twin screws. It's because they are very reliable, easy to tune and very consistant. The centris have these qualities too, but it seems from personal experience they are not as easy to work with as the TS blowers in regards to getting big HP numbers and low ET numbers at the same time.

The centri's don't make the low end torque of a TS which is why they are generally slower at the track. This doesn't mean they're bad, just means they're different.

I may get a centri SC on my car if it were an automatic and I could run a decently big stall convertor with a low gear set. Those cars are pretty fast, but most people won't go through putting a really good convertor into their tranny. The TS guys, alot of them run at or near the factory stall level.

Most horsepower for the buck is a good saying when you are trying buy an SC. But the old saying of "power under the curve" is what Sactown is reffering to. The TS blowers make so much low end torque it's crazy.

I can't think of any kit out there (intercooler and fuel system included) that is not a good kit. There's just differences in them that make better sense for different people.

I choose the KB because I have a built motor, it's rated to 950 (IIRC) and I drag race alot. It makes really good power and has been trouble free. It gives me the ability to up the PSI when needed to I think 25 PSI.

Some people don't want that.

Whatever the OP does he figure out what his end goal is and be realistic about his budget. Cheap things cost too much. Price paid will be long forgotten after satisfaction of ownership.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Wow, now THAT is the prime example of a ignorant post. Yes, the ICless version of the centris are dirt cheap, but even the H.O. kits are cheaper than any twin screw or roots supercharger (RoushCharger not included - but that operates at a lower boost than the comparable centri H.O. kits). What is the cheapest twin screw system with comparable boost? 6k+. The centris come in at just north of 5k. Also you think the centris only make 390 tq? My Paxton was just dynoed at just over 440rwtq with 508 rwhp on the Brenspeed tune. Also the new TVS and Edelbrock blowers perform very comparably to the twin screws.

And reliability? Do you have any data to back that up? I've seen cases of blowers of every type grenade a motor. Completeness? They all come with everything you need. And best certainly is a very subjective to the application of the user.

The reality is if you want off the line boost the twin screws and TVS screws are great for that. They make great power at (literally) the flick of a switch. I've driven them, they're fun as hell, but so is any boost generating device. The centris are a bit smoother in the way they build power and they put out higher HP than the rotor-style blowers which is why I went that way. Is mine any better than any other? Hell no, it just fit my desired application better than the others. Perhaps you should educate yourself a bit more before you start spraying ignorant drivel across the net.
The point I was trying to make when I stated the 390rwtq, was that in most cases with a centi SC there is a very big difference between the torque curve and the HP curve. You are making 68ft lbs less torque than hp, that was the point I was trying to make.

I only paid 4800 for the saleen 475hp kit. Just need to shop around and actually call people most will give you a better price.

The reliability statement was incorrect, you are right pretty much all kits come ready to bolt on and are very reliable.

Spraying ignorant drivel across the net? Couldn't come with something better than that?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
You say they make power smoother? That means slower. I want neck snapping power immediately when I go WOT.

It's not ignorant drivel. There is reason why the great majority of the fast SC cars run twin screws. It's because they are very reliable, easy to tune and very consistant. The centris have these qualities too, but it seems from personal experience they are not as easy to work with as the TS blowers in regards to getting big HP numbers and low ET numbers at the same time.

The centri's don't make the low end torque of a TS which is why they are generally slower at the track. This doesn't mean they're bad, just means they're different.

I may get a centri SC on my car if it were an automatic and I could run a decently big stall convertor with a low gear set. Those cars are pretty fast, but most people won't go through putting a really good convertor into their tranny. The TS guys, alot of them run at or near the factory stall level.

Most horsepower for the buck is a good saying when you are trying buy an SC. But the old saying of "power under the curve" is what Sactown is reffering to. The TS blowers make so much low end torque it's crazy.

I can't think of any kit out there (intercooler and fuel system included) that is not a good kit. There's just differences in them that make better sense for different people.

I choose the KB because I have a built motor, it's rated to 950 (IIRC) and I drag race alot. It makes really good power and has been trouble free. It gives me the ability to up the PSI when needed to I think 25 PSI.

Some people don't want that.

Whatever the OP does he figure out what his end goal is and be realistic about his budget. Cheap things cost too much. Price paid will be long forgotten after satisfaction of ownership.
You misunderstand me. I don't have any issue with twin screws what-so-ever (or any other types for that matter). The part I was referring to as ignorant drivel was the non-intercooled part and implying that the centris & roots were worthless kits. I didn't mean my post to be pro-centri or pro anything, but rather just to simply point out the misquoting in his earlier post.

I've personally driven cars with different types of blowers and a turbo and they're all a blast when put together properly -- just in different ways. The point I'm trying to make to the OP is don't put anything to bed as being worse than the other. He just needs to decide on what characteristics he wants at the end of the day. If a person wants off the line performance in a heartbeat, yes the good roots and twin screw are awesome. If they want the most efficiency, go turbo. Or, if they want bang for the buck performance they might want to look at centris. There are really good kits that exist in each and every type.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

You misunderstand me. I don't have any issue with twin screws what-so-ever (or any other types for that matter). The part I was referring to as ignorant drivel was the non-intercooled part and implying that the centris & roots were worthless kits. I didn't mean my post to be pro-centri or pro anything, but rather just to simply point out the misquoting in his earlier post.

I've personally driven cars with different types of blowers and a turbo and they're all a blast when put together properly -- just in different ways. The point I'm trying to make to the OP is don't put anything to bed as being worse than the other. He just needs to decide on what characteristics he wants at the end of the day. If a person wants off the line performance in a heartbeat, yes the good roots and twin screw are awesome. If they want the most efficiency, go turbo. Or, if they want bang for the buck performance they might want to look at centris. There are really good kits that exist in each and every type.
I don't have an issue with any type of SC. The guy should get whatever works best for him.

The non-intercooled kits are worthless, if you plan on doing anything other than just driving the car on the street on cool days. If you don't believe that, that is ignorance on your part.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
The point I was trying to make when I stated the 390rwtq, was that in most cases with a centi SC there is a very big difference between the torque curve and the HP curve. You are making 68ft lbs less torque than hp, that was the point I was trying to make.
So by making that point you incorrectly state the facts? It's just as easy to point out that the HP and torque are much closer on the rotor-based kits.

I only paid 4800 for the saleen 475hp kit. Just need to shop around and actually call people most will give you a better price.
But as far as retail price, the centris (and even turbos in some cases) are cheaper at MSRP and therefore also at a negotiated price.

The non-intercooled kits are worthless, if you plan on doing anything other than just driving the car on the street on cool days. If you don't believe that, that is ignorance on your part.
Now that I agree with. For street play they can be OK for a romp on the highway but for tracking you've got about two runs before you start to slide.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Obviously if you have the coin to drop the KB and Whipple are the top of the line....most of us don't have that kinda jack layin around. 7K plus install is about a total of 8k or more, I didn't have a safe 9 ger layin around to dump on a SC. On the other note I really don't know squat about the difference in the SC's I was however told that buying a non inter-cooled SC was a big no no.....but what ever floats your boat, if it makes you happy fire away.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Obviously if you have the coin to drop the KB and Whipple are the top of the line....most of us don't have that kinda jack layin around. 7K plus install is about a total of 8k or more, I didn't have a safe 9 ger layin around to dump on a SC. On the other note I really don't know squat about the difference in the SC's I was however told that buying a non inter-cooled SC was a big no no.....but what ever floats your boat, if it makes you happy fire away.

That's one of the things I liked about the TVS, I was able to get it for 5700 with a JDM tune, I did the install myself so saved a grand their as well. Neither Roush or Whipple will tune my car I have an auto with 3.73 gears and both of their intercooled kits are for manuals only so no matter which way I go I would need the custom tune. I can upgrade the fuel system and pulleys later on and my initial outlay was a lot less than the Edlebrock, Whipple, and KB, for an intercooled kit with a lot of upside. Saleen was also an affordable choice but the Roush was what I wanted between those 2, and I felt it had more upside than the Saleen.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:33 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
That's one of the things I liked about the TVS, I was able to get it for 5700 with a JDM tune, I did the install myself so saved a grand their as well. Neither Roush or Whipple will tune my car I have an auto with 3.73 gears and both of their intercooled kits are for manuals only so no matter which way I go I would need the custom tune. I can upgrade the fuel system and pulleys later on and my initial outlay was a lot less than the Edlebrock, Whipple, and KB, for an intercooled kit with a lot of upside. Saleen was also an affordable choice but the Roush was what I wanted between those 2, and I felt it had more upside than the Saleen.
I'm kicking myself for not taking a serious look at the TVS. I got the numbers I want but I know the TVS runs at much lower temps from what I've read.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

to me it's a win win when you are blown

Quick Reply: Supercharging my 09 GT - Supercharged 4.6's STEP IN