Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Excited about my 2011 GT until...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
If there is one thing I recommend it is getting your car Zebarted no matter where you live, the under carriage of my car still looks brand new due to that.
Interesting opinion on that. From what I've heard from everybody else who's had their car underbody coated, they ended up with a completely rusted out underside. Most times if any moisture ends up beneath the magic layer, it'll eat away the metal deeper than just the surface because of the protective layer they apply.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Interesting opinion on that. From what I've heard from everybody else who's had their car underbody coated, they ended up with a completely rusted out underside. Most times if any moisture ends up beneath the magic layer, it'll eat away the metal deeper than just the surface because of the protective layer they apply.
I went to an actual Zebart store not some knock off, a lot of the knock off jobs end up like that. At Zebart they actually cleaned the bottom of the car for about 5 hours before they put the under coat on. It also has a 25 year warranty.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Someone mentioned the diff cover.... my 2010 came with a painted diff cover. Just FYI!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
If done properly (proper cleaning and prep), then it's worthwhile. I had a Camaro that I had Ziebarted when I was in Michigan years ago. The car had about 1200 miles on it. They obviously didn't prep it right because by 70,000 miles when I was back in PA, I'd leave a rust layer of the chassis configuration on the driveway if I slammed the car door too hard. A mechanic doing suspension work for me at that time said he had never seen a car that young with that much undercarriage rust.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
...when I was back in PA, I'd leave a rust layer of the chassis configuration on the driveway if I slammed the car door too hard.
Sorry but I had to LOL.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Sorry but I had to LOL.
Don't be sorry. It was pretty funny. Sad, too, but funny. It was my first pony car after I got out of college. That rust bucket still holds a special place in my heart.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 PM
gt40bear

Originally Posted by Nuke
when I was back in PA, I'd leave a rust layer of the chassis configuration on the driveway if I slammed the car door too hard.
lol You must have had an '86!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt40bear
Welcome to the board!

Yeah, I remember those old Foxes, they too rusted on the underside, lol.

Oh, post up some pics of your '12 GT!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Luckily I live in an area that is considered semi-arid (sort of like a desert) the car is kept in a garage and has NEVER been driven on wet roads. having said that I have not and will not spray the car for rust. While living near the Great Lakes and all of the humidity I did have my cars sprayed (Krown) even though they had never been driven in the wet. I figured with all the humidity they would rust just siting. Good luck
Old 04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by gt40bear
No, prolly mid to late 70s.
Those years were real bad...

Anyway OP, ford doesn't paint the rear housing, drive shafts and other components underneath our cars.
The reason: Cost savings.
Lame I know, but Ford figured it will last at least a 100K miles (and it easily does) before you run into any issues due to that.

So welcome to owning a cool car regardless.

Quick Reply: Excited about my 2011 GT until...