Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help with exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Power-House

Thanks for all your replies guys. I am going to enjoy this mod, I can't wait to get this stuff put on. Theyeti I think the only place in canada that will allow a straight pipe to pass inspection is in Ontario, I live no where close to there. So I guess we are kind of strict on that kind of stuff. Maybe i'm wrong, like i said this is my first time modifying cars this hole thing is new to me. If it was just the axle backs that was being installed I probably would attempt it myself. Just the place I'm taking it is installing some other things for me to. So I just said the hell with it, get it all done at once. Save me some time, keep blood pressure down.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
BLUE_SVT_COBRA
2nd Gear Member

u need to get a tuner in order to offset the exhaust... the only way u usually dont pass inspection is if the check engine light is on with a tuner it should not make it come on at all..
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 AM
etnoats
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLUE_SVT_COBRA
u need to get a tuner in order to offset the exhaust... the only way u usually dont pass inspection is if the check engine light is on with a tuner it should not make it come on at all..
This depends on what midpipe he has. If the cats are close to the stock location and have O2 bungs he should be fine (might need extention cables from the picture). If he just installs the axle backs he definatly wont need one. The inspection also depends on if the sniffer tube is used and if a visual inspection is done.

As for the installation, see if there is a car club (doesnt have to be Mustang specific) in your area. Most of us enjoy wrenching and teaching newbies how to work on their cars. This is a pretty straight forward mod. If you can change your tires you can do this. Just the bolts are in different places.

Last edited by etnoats; 04-27-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Power-House

I have a tuner ship, and I have cats on my x pipe so i should be good with that. Etnoats, I could only wish there was a mustang club or any kind of car club around my area, I live in a small small area so I think if there was one i would of heard about it. I'll still look around though. So I took my car down to the shop today, the mechanic looks at me when I showed him the axles backs and says, "the cops are going to hound you, you will be back to put your stock mufflers back on". I hope to prove this guy wrong.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Power-House

Alright guys, I need your help again. Got a call from the exhaust place today, apparently I have the wrong mid pipe. It's actually the mid pipe from a gt 500 so it was to short. It was no big deal though because all they did was leave my stock cats on. But that's where I wonder, my stock cats is that going to cause any hp lose, lose in sound or tone, or anything going to be screwed up with my tune now? Probably not that big of a deal but little things like this frustrate and makes me paranoid which is why i'm glad i didn't do this install myself. lol Any help would be great fellas thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 AM
Power-House

Anyone???
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

You will not have any problems with your tune. The stock catted H-pipe on your stang flows very well. The HP gain you would have obtained from the high flow catted X-pipe, if any would have been minimal. The noise level gain would have been minimal as well. The H-pipe will have a deeper tone and the X-pipe will have a raspier tone. I have had the SLP's with high flow cats and stock cats and there was not that much of a change in sound level. Gets really loud though if you have an off road pipe. The only exhaust part that is really going to give you a real HP gain is long tubes.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking to get the slp lm1's on my car and i already know it'll be loud as hell but i live in sc and we don't get inspected thank god. Seriously though i would put them on yourself; they are bolt on unless you absolutely have to mod them and as far as driving goes, i would just be careful and look out for cops im not saying not have fun, but try to keep it quiet and ride in a gear higher than you're supposed to to keep the noise down i'm sure they won't say anything to you unless they're a ***** or if you deserved to be pulled
Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Power-House

Thanks for the replies guys. Ever since i got the lm1's on, I can't stop driving the car. I love the sound so much. It's not as loud as I thought it would be. Great exhaust! Only problem is I am trying to get long tube headers now, and I know the noise from slp axle backs and slp headers would be ungodly loud.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM
HitandRunDriver

But why would that stop you? I just installed my loudmouths myself last friday before i went out and they sound so much better than the flowmasters that came installed when i got the car. I highly doubt the LM's would make you fail emissions as mufflers arent designed to trap any particulate matter...headers will increase the sound, but you ultimately will control how loud they get with your right foot...

Quick Reply: Need help with exhaust!!