Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dodge forums why all the hate on the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Somewhere between the 70', 80's and 90's, they lost this edge.
I'd peg it closer to early/mid 70's as the emphasis shifted away from performance toward early safety and emission control developments and dealing with the OPEC fuel situation then (gas went up to 55¢/gallon - oh, the horror!).

The Viper and Prowler were much too limited production to really turn the image around, and the Mercedes-Benz episode was downright fraudulent.

Occasionally I wonder how much things might have turned out differently if the AAR 'Cuda we test drove in 1970 had been a stick. This is one of those times . . .

BTW, thanks for the kind words. But I'd be lost without an 'edit' function.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-26-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
2RUSTY22

I'm a MOPAR fan myself and have owned a brand new 2008 Blue Mustang V6 when it first came out and then i traded it for which is now my daily driver 2010 Dodge Charger R/T and i also bought a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 (which is my weekend car) back in late 2008. Now, I try not to bash other Automakers, but i don't care much for GM vehicles, mainly Chevrolet (but i do like vehicles from Pontiac like the GTO and Firebird). From the perspective from a MOPAR driver for the past 20 years , 90% of us in the U.S. seemed to be "neutral" with the Ford and Chevy community (including me), while others are just ******** i have to admit. We like anything that looks good or if theres been alot of time, money & effort put into it, we like it. But i have to admit, there been numerous times there will be owners of Mustangs tailgating me a bunch of times or looking over at my car and start laughing or cutting in front of me in which i dont get?, i'm always driving 10MPH over the speed limit lol. I'm not saying all Mustang drivers are like this, but there have been a handful of them ranging from teenagers to guys in ther 50's. There havent been any 90's or Current Generation Camaro drivers trying to stir something up with me yet, but idc really if they do, ill just ignore them and go on my marry way. I guess the point im trying to say is that MOAPR owners seem to be more neutral with everybody. You might hear somebody ask a MOPAR driver if he had to pick another pony car to drive, "Mustang" or "Camaro", you will hear different answers (me personally i would take the Mustang). Second, we dont care if the Mustang is faster or lighter than ours, or if the Camaro is cheaper or has better technolgy lol. Our cars were mainly made to crusie around in town or on the highway. Of course you can get it supercharged and add another 150+HP and run 11's, But personally i dont wanna spend over $5,000 on a kit plus another $1,000 to get it put on. Im happy pretty happy and content how my Charger and Challenger drives, yeah i wish Dodge made the Charger and Challenger atleast 400 pounds lighter but thats not going to stop me from buying both.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board, Rusty, and thanks for your thoughts.

As a teen, I fell in love with the classic Mopars, especially the Chargers from 68-74 (lat gen and 2nd to last gen classics).
Challengers of that time frame, I definitely give a nod to as well, those were great looking cars. And if I were to buy Mopar of today, I would get the challenger because of its homage to the classic Challengers of old.

However, the Charger of today I do not like; it is a re badged Chrysler 300 with the Dodge cross grille.
If Chrysler were to resurrect the Charger name, I wish they would have done it like they did the Challenger, an homage to the 68-71 classic Charger 2doors, or my most favorite generation of the Chargers, the 72-74 bodies. I probably wold have bought one of those for sure.

Aside from that, I do hope that Chrysler kicks it into the tech gear and starts to upgrade their valvetrains with independently variable intake and exhaust cam phasing. Not just a gross single came advance and retard with a non-variable LSA. Going multi-valves and discarding the pushrods. That would allow them to get more power out of a smaller engine displacement, and at the same time, get great fuel economy while still making 450+ rated BHP
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

No offense but you joined the Forums to tell us what we already know?
And what about other Forums criticizing the Mopar brand?
You're gonna join there as well and post the same thing?
Lot of effort wasted if you ask me because the @ssholes like you said, won't change even though everything you said was right.
Not worthy...

Usually, the GM guys are the ones doing the trash talk on Mustang as the Mopar crowd proves to be more mature.

In any case, welcome to the boards.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
I've noticed that most with the challenger owners.. Mopar guys in particular seem to be out spoken about their brand loyalty... it's a thing for older people, younger generations have little to no brand loyalty, they will buy whatever does the best job at the best price in all things. (generation X-current) I personally like them all, I don't understand why some people can't appreciate another manufacturer's vehicles it doesn't make sense. I also hear Chevy guys saying they dont even want to drive a new 5.0, it's not a camaro so there is no point, that sort of stuff. My dad wasn't particularly brand loyal, although he owned mostly chevy's throughout his life, including a 69 camaro, but he owned some VWs, oldsmobiles, dodges, fords, pontiacs, I dont remember him owning any japenese stuff though hmm..
Me and a lot of the people I know are the same way.. we talk about other cars brands/makes being fast without even thinking if it's a Dodge or Ford etc. If it's fast and looks good, we'll give it credit and not hate on them.

It's a different generation. ..I know what you mean about fan boys though lulz
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Most Mopar guys I've run into/talked to are complete idiots, like completely ignorant to the car world outside their little Mopar circle jerk
LOL ^ this...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Alec
Most Mopar guys I've run into/talked to are complete idiots, like completely ignorant to the car world outside their little Mopar circle jerk
I'd say there are groups of these peeps in every section of car co. fans.
I see more Chevy vs Ford but I believe it is because up until recently... the late model battle has been between these two and Mopar was not really in it.

I believe age and maturity of the people you are speaking of also probably plays a big factor. Most of the mid life adult people don't seem to have quite the insulty-type of mouths and appreciate all muscle cars for the most part.
Of course there are always the 50 year old teenagers there are out there too lol.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, as stated there'll be those kinds of people every where. I'm a GM fan myself, but the Mustang was the newest in the price range and had a good reliability record which is important with driving to school. I'm a fan of the new GTO's (I know they're bashed left and right), and I would've bought one but my girlfriend's brother bought one. My dream car's a new Camaro; that doesn't mean I don't having anything but respect for the 5.0, the Boss, and Mustangs in general. Heck, cars in general.

Just have to find the right people to hang with.