Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this legit ? Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
drboyd

He'll never go for it, because neither he nor the car is in Montana. Tell him you can't get the plane ticket after all, but you really want the car.

He's probably actually in Nigeria; he may have you Paypal the money as a gift (which means there's no Paypal guarantee attached) or he'll have it sent Western Union to some scam website. Of course, it "has to be Western Union," because he's in such a hurry to pay off his mud hut in Nigeria - oops, I mean "house."

If you want to waste a couple hours laughing your taillights off, go to scamorama dot com.

Originally Posted by Franchise-SZ
Im awaiting an email on him....I told him i would fly to Montana where he is olocated just to see it haha....See where he goes with this
Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

if you want a GT for that price just hang around a dealership and offer it to anyone thinking of trading in their GT.
After they hear the dealer's offer it will seem like a great deal to sell to YOU instead!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I sold my 05gt with 5000 miles on the odo for 15,000 in 09 and it was mint. This sounds a little low
Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

He said he lives in MT? i live there find out what city he is in, ill go look at it for you and verify. Seems like a scam but it isn't written like the typical scams. PM me because I might not check this thread again

also he said he will ship the car down to you w/o you paying anything? seems like an odd thing to do but that also isn't what a scammer would say, they'd want atleast a partial payment up front (so they can just take that money) The odd thing is i'm sure a dealership would just buy it from him for like 12,000 at minimum.

Last edited by Mishri; 05-29-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
drboyd

Here's the wording clue: "I will like to use a third party to make this transaction so you don't have to send me any money before you see and inspect the car."

Does anybody actually say, "I will like to use this or that?"

No.

You'd say, "I will be using..." or "I would like to use...". Nobody would use that form except people that don't speak English as a native language, like Nigerian scammers.

Has he responded about where to send the money, or did he just give up on you already? Typically, these guys give up if you don't follow the "sucker script" pretty closely.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Franchise-SZ
1st Gear Member

I sent him an email telling him im all for going to MT and looking at it as well as telling him ill "wire" money to him if he checks it out first at a local dealer in MT i gave him...No respond in 4 days.....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1 agree with Drboyd. I work a lot with international customers and small discrepencies like that are a red flag when one purports to be a U.S. based customer (american).

Another red flag, he volunteered info about his dad and cancer and blah blah blah. Scammers like to play on the heartstrings for the older folks that are naive.

You can play with him as long as you want (or until he gives up).
Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Actually, this scam is very successful for the crooks with older folks.
It's a shame but they get had a lot.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
drboyd

These guys are fun to mess with if you're bored. I've gotten them to send me semi-official looking bank certificates about how I have 30 million dollars in a deposit certificate in the Royal Bank of Nigeria or something.

Just make sure they don't get any real info about you - just your email. Make up fake addresses and stuff.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
drboyd

Originally Posted by Franchise-SZ
I sent him an email telling him im all for going to MT and looking at it as well as telling him ill "wire" money to him if he checks it out first at a local dealer in MT i gave him...No respond in 4 days.....
Of course, since you said that he's out of contact, and you won't get him back. Just look for another one that's way too cheap and start again.

The fun part is when you start pretending to wire them money, and you "accidentally" send it to the wrong Western Union office 50 miles away from the right one so they drive all the way there and there's no money.

Quick Reply: Is this legit ? Need help