Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ABC NEWS INVESTIGATION: 2011 & 2012 MUSTANG

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:20 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb ABC NEWS INVESTIGATION: 2011 & 2012 MUSTANG

ATTENTION:

I just got off the phone with the investigative team at ABC News. They are, indeed, moving ahead with a story for 20/20 around the transmission issues so many of us are dealing with. They asked that I forward them a list of owners experiencing issues with their cars. They are interested in speaking to current owners of 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang V6, GT, and BOSS 302 vehicles with manual transmissions who have:

1. been to their dealers and have not had their issues resolved... and/or

2. Have been in a situation where they were unable to engage a gear due to the issue... and/or

3. Have had repairs made that did not solve the issue... and/or

4. Have been denied replacement vehicles or refunds after multiple failed repairs... and/or

5. Who believe their car's current condition poses a safety concern

I need to get this list to them by end of day today if possible. They are looking to speak to you briefly on the phone to hear your story. It would be great if we can get a representative sampling from all areas of the US and Canada.

If you're comfortable participating in this, please PM me your name and contact info ASAP. The sooner this is brought to light, the sooner ALL of our cars will be fixed correctly.

If you prefer, you can contact ABC Investigator Gerry Wagschal directly at: Gerry.Wagschal@abc.com and schedule a phone interview

Thanks everyone

John
Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I take it the original fix was never released?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...ix-coming.html
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

holy cow! the boys at fomoco ain't gonna be liking this. i'll keep my eyes peeled for the air date and set my dvr. fwiw, my 6-spd has offered up zero problems in the 11K miles since i bought the car - keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Just adding more support as I have already sent my info along.

Please, All.... send them your story to help get this issue addressed!!!

And thanks, Matero.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

First off nobody watches ABC, so what are they gonna do? We've sold over 200 5.0's with MT-82's since they came out and we've had 0 return with issues and we're the only dealership for miles, my neighbor works at another dealership and they have had 0 return aswell. It's not that big of an issue other then a hand full of people complaining on forums in reality it's 10 cars out of 1,000. I'd be interested in how ABC will spin this though.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
First off nobody watches ABC, so what are they gonna do? We've sold over 200 5.0's with MT-82's since they came out and we've had 0 return with issues and we're the only dealership for miles, my neighbor works at another dealership and they have had 0 return aswell. It's not that big of an issue other then a hand full of people complaining on forums in reality it's 10 cars out of 1,000. I'd be interested in how ABC will spin this though.
My dealer has seen 27.

http://jalopnik.com/5792482/faulty-c...w-ford-mustang

http://jalopnik.com/5796207/ford-sil...-transmissions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmY2awSCsM

The same guy who did the BMW story is doing this. Within 1 hour of the bmw story airing, BMW recalled every car with the same motor. They didn't focus on the car, or the problem. They focussed on the manufacturer's response to customer issues:

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/bmw-adm...ry?id=11968495
Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I hope this issue gets addressed quickly by Ford. Although from what it seems, it's not a crazy widespread issue, the new tranny does seem to be running into some issues all across the board from grinding while cold to simply not even allowing shifting when you want it to.

Sometimes it sucks when it has to finally get all the way to the media, but something should be done as a more reasonable fix to those continuing to have this problem.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

This is what happens when you enter a partnership with a supplier you've never worked with before, and build the product in China.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Spanx

I have a 2012 with an automatic transmission that they can't figure out what to do with as of right now. It went back in the shop yesterday for the second time and only has 3002 miles on it. I'm hoping to hear something by tomorrow. I know the problem I am having is not a common one though, I guess I'm just the unlucky one who bought a broken car.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
... it's 10 cars out of 1,000.....
And Toyota's problem was about 10 cars out of a few million...

If I manufactured something and had a 1% failure rate (10 out of 1,000), I'd be locking the doors. In reality a 1% failure rate is dismal when you're mass producing for the public. In the nuclear industry, we're concerned when a product we rely on has even a 0.01% failure rate. Even a single failure of a safety related device due to a manufacturing problem requires notification to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission under 10CFR21.

Quick Reply: ABC NEWS INVESTIGATION: 2011 & 2012 MUSTANG