Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual or Automatic GT or BOSS? Can't decide

Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Teggsan

The GT gearbox is not amongst the finest I've ever driven. It's actually sort of lousy. The clutch is fine.

I have no experience with the automatic.

If you ever intend to track the car (and why would you consider a Boss if you didn't), obviously you'll be better off with the manual.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

If you plan to do the 1320 and braket race I'd get the auto. I have two high HP vehicles one is manual and the other the mustang is auto. They both have their advantages. I race my mustang so an auto was a must.
The Boss is amazing and that you can afford it is good, but you gotta ask yourself for all that extra cash are you getting what you really want? Or could you buy an premium GT and mod it the way you want it for the similar or even a cheaper price? Define what you really want before you buy, then go in there and beat on that salesman for your best price.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I get it, the Boss is more of a race car. The GT Premium can be loaded with options. The Boss's power and performance kicks *** and intrigues me, but then again, I also like the cool things like ambient lighting and shaker system and sync, power seats...you name it. If the Boss just had a few more options, it would be a no brainer for me. But to spend THAT much on a car that is fairly basic option-wise...just for the raceability of it, might be overkill for me. If I get the 2012 GT Premium, I plan on getting a CAI/Tune + h pipe and by that point, I"ll be almost as powerful as the boss...and with more of a posh setup. lol. Color...was thinking Kona Blue with either white or silver stripes. If the chasm wasn't so HUGE between the GT500 Shelby, I woudl get that one but geez it's SO expensive.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I think Kona blue has been discontinued due to supply.

FYI the Boss ONLY comes in manual.

You may be able to mod a 2012 to your liking for less. But you couldn't take a GT and mod it to match the Boss for less.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

OP will you be keeping the Camry as a DD or with the mustang be your only car? For me, my 08 GT was my only car in Phoenix. Sometimes i didnt like having when being stuck in traffic but I know on the open road, if I didnt have it, I wouldve regretted it more.

It would be hard for me to own a pony car or sports car without having the manual. Although the auto might be faster, shifting is what does it for me.

The clutch on my 08 was good and even with the manual, if you get a CAI+Tune, the throttle response is amazing. Before I got rid of it, I was planning on doing some 4.10s this summer. Either way, I dont think you can go wrong but unless there is some reason you need to get a auto (like a significant other cant drive it), I would go with the 5 speed or 6 speed if you get a new one.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Mustangs are about fun, and each of us has our own definition. No offence intended, but you sound like an auto guy. You mentioned traffic, if you think that you will sit in traffic and wish you had bought the auto, keep your fun factor high and get an auto. But I am from the old school and have always thought that to extract the most fun out of these cars, you need to row through the gears!

Get a loaded premium, you will not regret that. Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I have an 08 GT manual and I chose it for the sound alone. There are many advantages to the automatic w/tune, but the automatic just can't hold the exhaust note like the manual can!
This is my fifth car with a manual, and I think it's the smoothest of any car I've had.
I understand about the multi-tasking/traffic aspect of it, and if that's the majority of your driving, the automatic GT is probably the way to go for you.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Deathwillbe

Well it all depends on what you want out of it. If you’re going to track the hell out of it there’s no reason to get a Boss why spend all that money on an amazing car to rip it apart and mod it? If you are looking for a driver from work and what not get a Boss. Trust me you will get a lot more Eyes on you. Everyone has Mustangs so you have to find a way to stand out. Most people just get rims and/or paint jobs but nothing comes close to having something so hard to find. I you want to just be part of the crowd then get that GT premium if you want to stand out get the Boss.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

get the manual or you will regret getting it later. Ok you probably wont but there would be days were you will wish your car was manual. This happens to my friend in his 2006 mustang gt auto, but it also happens in my 04 mustang gt (manual) where I wish my car would be auto, specially when driving a lot on bussy streets. If you have the money I will go for the Boss, if you get it at the price that is suppose to be without markups. The Boss will most likely retain its value.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:54 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deathwillbe
Well it all depends on what you want out of it. If you’re going to track the hell out of it there’s no reason to get a Boss why spend all that money on an amazing car to rip it apart and mod it? If you are looking for a driver from work and what not get a Boss. Trust me you will get a lot more Eyes on you. Everyone has Mustangs so you have to find a way to stand out. Most people just get rims and/or paint jobs but nothing comes close to having something so hard to find. I you want to just be part of the crowd then get that GT premium if you want to stand out get the Boss.
did you write what you meant there? "If you’re going to track the hell out of it there’s no reason to get a Boss why spend all that money on an amazing car to rip it apart and mod it?"

Boss is a track car, im going to mod mine to some extent. you can put it back to stock if/when you ever want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic GT or BOSS? Can't decide